Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amping the L3000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amping the L3000 - Page 3

post #31 of 62
Yeah, the L3000 doesn't have the most detail but I don't find that type of sound as natural. It's the overall sound that draws you in. You end up just enjoying the music as whole.

On the DHA3000, the vocals don't sound distant all. Actually I remember that was one of the big differences when I switched setups. The vocals almost seemed too close at first. I actually like the upfront sound. That was one of things that drew me towards Grados. The L3000 has a nice upfront sound but has a great small soundstage with precise positioning as well. This works perfect for rock and jazz. I don't listen to too much classical, but I found the W5000 might have been more suited for that genre.
post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamoneagain View Post
...The vocals almost seemed too close at first. I actually like the upfront sound. That was one of things that drew me towards Grados. The L3000 has a nice upfront sound but has a great small soundstage with precise positioning as well. This works perfect for rock and jazz. I don't listen to too much classical, but I found the W5000 might have been more suited for that genre.
This is what I remember from my time with the L3000 (I owned them towards the end of the production run). The soundstage is tight and upfront, though well rendered. Definitely not best for classical music or for complex music that benefits from a larger headstage. There is something about the way way AT cans present vocals. They sound forward, yet intimate and natural.

I am very interested in your continued impressions because your preferences towards fast and spacious headphones (K1000, HE60) seem similar to mine. The L3000 is an immensely enjoyable headphone, though like you I didn't find it suitable as my only headphone. Given that I couldn't afford to keep multiple high end headphones, I sold it and moved on.

I disagree on the prior note considering the W11jpn. That is a special headphone, but all of its magic is in the midrange and it is not a great performer elsewhere (especially the bass).
post #33 of 62
Thread Starter 
Can I buy replacement drivers? I thought I read that they were still available? Just curious as I plan to own these for a while....
post #34 of 62
1-330-686-2600 is the number for the AT service dept. within the US. Give them a call and they should be able to tell you.
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
Can I buy replacement drivers? I thought I read that they were still available? Just curious as I plan to own these for a while....
I don't think so . I contacted AT USA a while back to see if I could get some repairs done on my cabling / aesthetics, but as far as they knew there was no longer any support available. Instead they referred me to AT Japan, which I didn't bother calling.

Not sure if this extends to the driver situation, since I'm quite interested to keep them as long as possible as well, but no harm asking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canman View Post
This is what I remember from my time with the L3000 (I owned them towards the end of the production run). The soundstage is tight and upfront, though well rendered. Definitely not best for classical music or for complex music that benefits from a larger headstage. There is something about the way way AT cans present vocals. They sound forward, yet intimate and natural.
I agree with this 100%. Another thing these headphones do is a killer job at drums.
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenthe View Post
I don't think so . I contacted AT USA a while back to see if I could get some repairs done on my cabling / aesthetics, but as far as they knew there was no longer any support available. Instead they referred me to AT Japan, which I didn't bother calling.

Not sure if this extends to the driver situation, since I'm quite interested to keep them as long as possible as well, but no harm asking again.
As far as I know, this is still the case and has been for a few years now. Replacement drivers were once available for separate purchase, but AT eventually did away with that option. The only way to get replacement drivers now is to send in the L3000's to AT Japan and pay to have them replaced. They do still have plenty of stock though.
post #37 of 62
Not to get off topic, but I too was thinking of contacting AT Japan regarding getting replacement parts for several of my discontinued AT headphones. However I don't speak Japanese and didn't know the best way to do this. Navigating the AT Japan website is a nightmare not being able to read Japanese. Anyone have any advice?
post #38 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canman View Post
I am very interested in your continued impressions because your preferences towards fast and spacious headphones (K1000, HE60) seem similar to mine. The L3000 is an immensely enjoyable headphone, though like you I didn't find it suitable as my only headphone. Given that I couldn't afford to keep multiple high end headphones, I sold it and moved on.
I've been listening to these nonstop since I got them, and I think I can now say that I could live with these as my only headphone. It's definitely the most complete headphone I've ever heard(I think only the HP3000 would rival them in that aspect).

It has detail(again, not as much as the K1000/HE60, but close), dynamics, excellent bass, lush midrange, and smooth highs(the last two could be a fault for someone who prefers bright cans). The K1000 and HE60 all have nearly indisputable ability to reveal detail, speed and open sound-stages. However, the bass on both of those cans truly make them incomplete. And I'm not a bass-head. I've always preferred less "bassy" cans like AKGs. But it seems that the cans with the most speed, detail, and openness are always lacking in the bass and punch areas.

The L3000 gets a lot of things right, not showing any glaring deficiency. In my opinion this makes them sound very, very complete.
post #39 of 62
Sounds wonderful. I really need to try these someday!
post #40 of 62
Thanks for the update 6rfan... and agreed..... :-)
post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
I've been listening to these nonstop since I got them, and I think I can now say that I could live with these as my only headphone. It's definitely the most complete headphone I've ever heard(I think only the HP3000 would rival them in that aspect).

It has detail(again, not as much as the K1000/HE60, but close), dynamics, excellent bass, lush midrange, and smooth highs(the last two could be a fault for someone who prefers bright cans). The K1000 and HE60 all have nearly indisputable ability to reveal detail, speed and open sound-stages. However, the bass on both of those cans truly make them incomplete. And I'm not a bass-head. I've always preferred less "bassy" cans like AKGs. But it seems that the cans with the most speed, detail, and openness are always lacking in the bass and punch areas.

The L3000 gets a lot of things right, not showing any glaring deficiency. In my opinion this makes them sound very, very complete.
Yeah, the L3000 is pretty sweet. Agree with you that HE60 bass is inadequate (still a great can), but I really enjoy K1000 bass when paired with the right amp.
post #42 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canman View Post
Yeah, the L3000 is pretty sweet. Agree with you that HE60 bass is inadequate (still a great can), but I really enjoy K1000 bass when paired with the right amp.
I agree. The bass issue didn't bother me as much with the K1000. Especially because it also increases as you move the drivers closer to your ear. I usually kept the drivers at about mid point. It gave the best balance of sound to me, although with them all the way out, the sound was so unreal.
post #43 of 62
Thread Starter 
I've decided to go with the WA5. I'm thinking maxxed with upgraded 274 and 300b tubes. These headphones are simply amazing. They deserve it. I'll also have the HD800 to add to the mix. However, I will want to pay off all of my debt before making such a large audio purchase so this will have to wait just a little while.

I thought about getting the 6SE to hold me over, but I think I may loose too much on the resale. The L3000 sounds really good out of the beresford, so I guess I can be patient.

If not, I'll just say forget the debt and just go for it first. lol
post #44 of 62
WOW!!! That is going to be an awesome setup, I am really jealous. The WA5 is really great, I am enjoying every minute of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
I've decided to go with the WA5. I'm thinking maxxed with upgraded 274 and 300b tubes. These headphones are simply amazing. They deserve it. I'll also have the HD800 to add to the mix. However, I will want to pay off all of my debt before making such a large audio purchase so this will have to wait just a little while.

I thought about getting the 6SE to hold me over, but I think I may loose too much on the resale. The L3000 sounds really good out of the beresford, so I guess I can be patient.

If not, I'll just say forget the debt and just go for it first. lol
post #45 of 62
Did a nice 2 hour session the other night 6rfan with the WA5 -> L3000, and I was a happy man.... :-)

If you wanted the amp sooner, than your money allows.. you could order the base level unit, and then update it over time. New tubes, update PS, update Amp, just keeps sounding better every time.

Cheers,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amping the L3000