Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amping the L3000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amping the L3000

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
I just purchased the Audio-Technica L3000. I am trying to figure out what the best way to amp them is. I don't want to spend more than $1500 for an amp(but will in certain cases). I realize that that isn't quite high end, but I thought this would be the best place for this question because more people in this forum probably have heard them.

I know I want a tube amp and the other headphones I plan to own in the future are the HD800 and PS1000. I was actually going to buy those first, but then these popped up for sale. Been lusting after them for a few years now.

Right now I am considering the:

Woo 6SE Maxxed
Woo Audio 2
Used Zana Duex(have previously owned, great amp)

And right now, that is all I have on the list. Is there a reason I shouldn't go for either of these? There isn't a ton of info on amp pairing with certain discontinued cans....obviously because they are discontinued.
post #2 of 62
I know you said tubes but talking specifically about the L3000 you wont go wrong with ATs own DHA3000. Match made in heaven. Not sure how it would do on either of the other headphones though. Also a bit rare.

The ZD holds its value quite well so if you were honostly considering that you're probably pretty close to considering a new one. The last 2 i've seen pop up have sold pretty quick at around $1800. I'd be a bit curious as to how it would work with a high end grado myself.

The WA6 is a nice amp for most everything though the 2 comes across as a bit warmer. If you were to email Jack he could give you his opinion as well.

I dont know if you've considered it also but the Yamamoto HA-02 might be to your liking. Comes in at around 1 grand. Not specifically geared toward high imp cans though but would power them. Loved by many and i'd wager would sound very good with a Grado or L3000. Theres also the Cary SEI300 which use to sell used for around 1600-1800 which could drive anything. I dont think they pop up that often anymore though.
post #3 of 62
I know that it is a budget stretch... but after many amps, I have been very happy with the Woo WA5.... It gives the most control, and a monster 300B sound that is great.

Cheers,
post #4 of 62
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies.

I actually thought about the WA5, but I just don't see enough info about how much better it is than the 2 or the 6SE. I do like the use of the 300B's though and it is very enticing. I just wish there was more info out there. I'll probably need to talk to Jack.

I'm thinking it may be smart to go with the 6SE and spend the difference on the HD800/PS1000. I'm just wondering if it will be "good" enough, since I spent a considerable amount of cash on the L3000.
post #5 of 62
Congrats on the L3000!

In October, I heard the WA6 SE at a meet and I was very impressive. In fact, because of this, I ended up buying a WA5 LE, stock but with upgraded tubes, (which unfortunately, I have not heard). Jack claims that the WA6 SE and WA5 LE are in a different league. I was tired of upgrading so I decided to treat myself and get some of those luscious 300B tubes in my life.

The WA5 LE is supposed to arrive next week so I can't say much more at this point. At some point in the near future (after the HD800's arrive?), I am planing to get together with a fellow Houston head-fier who has a WA6 SE to compare them but that may not happen for a while.
post #6 of 62
One of the major factors in selecting the WA5 for me was the versatility.... I would probably agree that WA5 LE would be a better headphone amp for SE only. But with the WA5 being a standard 300B speaker amp... and with the K1000 plug as well... It is a world class 'all around' amp. Upgrades to components and upgrades to tubes all make a huge difference with the woo series as well.

My OP : wooaudio-wa5-akg-k1000s-house-upgraded-psu-6-2

Cheers,
post #7 of 62
WA5 is still expensive though. For around the same cost you could get a decent used power amp specifically for the K1000 and a brand new Zana Deux. The value in component upgrades is also pretty subjective in my opinion. If you didnt restrict yourself to tubes then you've of course got the B22 which is also very versatile.

interesting, OP asks about amps in the 1.5k range and all of a sudden we're discussing 2.5-3k+ terratory.

In my opinion i would worry less about the amp if you choose anything mentioned here as all are great, and more about the DAC, that is if you havent purchased one yet.
post #8 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin View Post
WA5 is still expensive though. For around the same cost you could get a decent used power amp specifically for the K1000 and a brand new Zana Deux. The value in component upgrades is also pretty subjective in my opinion. If you didnt restrict yourself to tubes then you've of course got the B22 which is also very versatile.

interesting, OP asks about amps in the 1.5k range and all of a sudden we're discussing 2.5-3k+ terratory.

In my opinion i would worry less about the amp if you choose anything mentioned here as all are great, and more about the DAC, that is if you havent purchased one yet.
I have a dac/amp combo as of now(tc-7520) which I am willing to keep for a while. It is cheap($250) but it sounds really good, so I think I will stick with it until I get the amp situation figured out.

But yea, from the sounds of it, I'm thinking I may be absolutely fine with the 6SE or Audio 2. Maybe I can upgrade later if I feel the need too. The WA5 looks absolutely stunning, but its double what I want to pay. It'll have to wait!
post #9 of 62
Sorry to talk out of price range...

The L3000's have massive potential. Just like very good speakers.

I have owned and used all of the following with the L3000's:
RSA Apache
WA6 maxed (not SE)
Rudistor rpx-100
Cary 300SEI
Woo WA5

And the WA5 has taken it to the highest levels.

Out of your Options. I would talk to Jack about the WA2.... great amp that could really match up well.

Cheers,
post #10 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymad View Post
Sorry to talk out of price range...

The L3000's have massive potential. Just like very good speakers.

I have owned and used all of the following with the L3000's:
RSA Apache
WA6 maxed (not SE)
Rudistor rpx-100
Cary 300SEI
Woo WA5

And the WA5 has taken it to the highest levels.

Out of your Options. I would talk to Jack about the WA2.... great amp that could really match up well.

Cheers,
No, it's absolutely fine! And I'm glad you posted that list. How would you compare the WA6 and WA5? I'm sure the WA5 is better, but specifically with the L3000 how would you compare the difference of sound between the two?
post #11 of 62
I just trying to point out that I was so impressed the WA6 SE that I bought a WA5 LE (unheard). Maybe that was unclear.

As for the cost of ZD vs WA5 LE: A new ZD is $2200 (http://www.eddiecurrent.com/Zanadeux.html) and a new WA5 LE is $2400 (WA5 Lite Edition 300B Single-ended Triode Class-A Headphone Amplifier). If one could find a used, ZD then that would be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin View Post
WA5 is still expensive though. For around the same cost you could get a decent used power amp specifically for the K1000 and a brand new Zana Deux. The value in component upgrades is also pretty subjective in my opinion. If you didnt restrict yourself to tubes then you've of course got the B22 which is also very versatile.

interesting, OP asks about amps in the 1.5k range and all of a sudden we're discussing 2.5-3k+ terratory.

In my opinion i would worry less about the amp if you choose anything mentioned here as all are great, and more about the DAC, that is if you havent purchased one yet.
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellylh View Post
I just trying to point out that I was so impressed the WA6 SE that I bought a WA5 LE (unheard). Maybe that was unclear.

As for the cost of ZD vs WA5 LE: A new ZD is $2200 (Zana Deux) and a new WA5 LE is $2400 (WA5 Lite Edition 300B Single-ended Triode Class-A Headphone Amplifier). If one could find a used, ZD then that would be a different story.
I was talking in response to the mentioning of the WA5 [non-LE]. Then you have to factor in upgrades, which i dont think are necessary but never the less a lot of people do opt for them.
post #13 of 62
Have you heard the L3000 at length? I have always found the L3000 dark whenever I tried them. I would want an amp that had a fast, lively sound.
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
Have you heard the L3000 at length? I have always found the L3000 dark whenever I tried them. I would want an amp that had a fast, lively sound.
Try removing the sound dampeners inside the cups. I found it did wonders to brighten these cans up.
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
No, it's absolutely fine! And I'm glad you posted that list. How would you compare the WA6 and WA5? I'm sure the WA5 is better, but specifically with the L3000 how would you compare the difference of sound between the two?
For me they are in a different league. The WA6 while a very good amp was thin with a collapsed sound stage compared to the monstrous bloom, and depth of sound that the WA5 is able to achieve. Once the proper rectifier tubes were in place... the WA6 had a short live span in my listening room.

Good luck with your choice it is not easy... looking forward to hearing what you come up with.... I think the L3000's are very worthy...

Cheers,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amping the L3000