Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Yes Virgina, There is a difference in USB cables
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yes Virgina, There is a difference in USB cables - Page 11

post #151 of 199
PLAUSIBILITY! Thats the word I needed - Yes, agreed. Is it not PLAUSIBLE that someone out there can distinguish between analogue and even digital cables - even if I couldn't or the science indicates that is unlikely. I mean there are individuals out there with some extraordinary capabilities - the Guiness Book of Records have numerous individuals that can achieve what is commonly known as unachievable - I mean c'mon man. I believe the human mind and senses are FAR more advance than any electronics developed by the most advanced monkeys evah!

Just look at Michael Schumacha - for all the advanced multi-million dollar data acquisition - it still cannot explain to engineers the subtleties of vehicle dynamics - Schumi can with his human subjective senses and effectively communicate his human sensor data to engineers and his opinion will be held in higher regard than the measurements. I'm sure If he says the car handles like crap it means it does - no matter how high the lateral g measurements are. This is why a human can always take a car to its limits better than stability programmes can - our senses are FAR more detailed.
post #152 of 199
I switched from IDE cables to SATA on my Samsung hard drive and I can definitely tell a difference, SATA is much warmer and fuller but I find the mids are recessed somewhat.
post #153 of 199
YES! This was my initial reaction when I went to a better USB cable - I didn't prefer the sound of the better connection - Fuller and warmer - and everything seems less separate and more integrated. Then I continued swapping and eventually decided it was placebo. That was with 650 phones. I read the above post and seeing that it was so exact to my initial reactions I carried out more testing with k701 - a more detailed phone and I am coming up with the same conclusion in sound, but this sound is better suited to k701. The problem is I cannot entirely rule out placebo, though I am starting to lean towards a definate difference. Is SATA a superior connection to IDE?
post #154 of 199
Quote:
Is SATA a superior connection to IDE?
They both have the same error free connection if you mean. If you think the two har drive types result in different sound quality with one being better, you're a twit.

SATA has advantages when it comes to ease of use (no master/slave jumper) and faster burst rates. But for the amount of data with audio this is nothing
post #155 of 199
I don't quite know if I am a twit. However I do believe that you may be a nerd.
post #156 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanimal View Post
YES! This was my initial reaction when I went to a better USB cable - I didn't prefer the sound of the better connection - Fuller and warmer - and everything seems less separate and more integrated. Then I continued swapping and eventually decided it was placebo. That was with 650 phones. I read the above post and seeing that it was so exact to my initial reactions I carried out more testing with k701 - a more detailed phone and I am coming up with the same conclusion in sound, but this sound is better suited to k701. The problem is I cannot entirely rule out placebo, though I am starting to lean towards a definate difference. Is SATA a superior connection to IDE?
Herein lies the problem. When people are being this extreme with their comments, I can't tell whether someone was being sarcastic or serious. I thought the SATA affecting sound comment was sarcastic.

Honestly, I do not see how sound could possibly be affected by a working digital cable.
post #157 of 199
Today I upgraded my straight-through SATA cables to the right-angle connector ones and although everything sounds similar I can't help but feel the soundstage has been rotated a little.
post #158 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthur View Post
Today I upgraded my straight-through SATA cables to the right-angle connector ones and although everything sounds similar I can't help but feel the soundstage has been rotated a little.
Great stuff, keep us updated
post #159 of 199
I forgot to mention that I also use box constructed of 3-Dimensional Quartz Phenolic (3DQP) around my hard drive to shield against stray neutrons knocking the electrons out of place and causing chain reaction errors on the disk. Also, I use a faraday cage made of berylium wire fused with lithium deuteride to help maintain consistency in the magnetic field and reflecting the field lines around the platters.

By conditioning the cables with pyramidic crystals and safeguarding the hard drive with the system above I can sense a wider sound stage and explosive dynamic range. Silky smooth sound...almost like being in a cloud.

I'll have to try the right angle SATA cable trick.
post #160 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthur View Post
Today I upgraded my straight-through SATA cables to the right-angle connector ones and although everything sounds similar I can't help but feel the soundstage has been rotated a little.
You see, now you just trippin. Its called placebo - don't worry, even I fall victim to it sometimes.
post #161 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriverdude View Post
They both have the same error free connection if you mean. If you think the two har drive types result in different sound quality with one being better, you're a twit.

SATA has advantages when it comes to ease of use (no master/slave jumper) and faster burst rates. But for the amount of data with audio this is nothing
Maybe it doesn't sound any better, but it SATA clearly is the superior connection when compared to IDE.
post #162 of 199

So, let me get this straight: some posters think that cables make a difference and some say that can't be so.  Is that it?

post #163 of 199

^^ This thread is 5 months old, let it stay dead. We don't need another cable pi$$ing contest deadhorse.gif

post #164 of 199

Every USB cable thread... It's the same thing.

 

I post the same thing.

 

Bullsh*t. Unless those 1's and 0's are somehow being altered in a DIGITAL USB cable, no way. Wait, maybe this cable can give me those 2's my music has been missing!

post #165 of 199
"USB audio is digital and all 0s and 1s. Cannot go wrong, doesn't care about jitter, blablabla"

Really so ? Maybe you should tell that designer from Texas Instruments (sadly part 3 isn't online anymore) :

http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4009467/The-D-A-diaries-A-personal-memoir-of-engineering-heartache-and-triumph
http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4009466/Do-we-use-an-existing-USB-core-How-large-should-the-FIFO-be-The-D-A-Diaries-Part-2


More on the topic, it's difficult to believe that an USB cable, if not broken, will affect the data (our dear 0 and 1). Could it affect interface jitter ? Maybe but any impact is likely to be less damaging that the inherently poor clock from the source/computer (see link 2, the part about the "terrors of the isochronous mode").

The most serious reason in my view for such cables to have an impact would be in shielding and picking up more or less interferences. If HF gets into a badly designed PCB, you could be in trouble as the quality of the power supply is vital for some mixed signal chips on the receiving end (PLL, DAC) as well as the analog sections.

As for myself, all my listening is done on an USB DAC... I think the cable is coming from an old HP printer. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Yes Virgina, There is a difference in USB cables