StyleAudio Topaz Amp Eval / Review Thread - Page 7
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 1,753 Posts. Joined 10/2007
- Location: New York
- Select All Posts By This User
Another question...when listening to the HF out with low impedance phones (like the UM3X), there's volume imbalances at the 8 and 7 o'clock position...is this a defect or does it happen with all units?
I will contact you and see what's going on...
- 612 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: dixie
- Select All Posts By This User
As noted in this thread, Craig (SACD-Man) at Whiplash Audio is StyleAudio's US dealer for their portable headphone amps. CryoParts is the US importer.
Craig has generously agreed to kick off an eval program to 10 or so headfi members, to review the Topaz amp and Whiplash's Spotlight USB cable. Those who are interested in taking part, pm Craig directly and he will select the reviewers.
-1 to 2 week auditioning
-Must post comments / reviews in this thread
-The Topaz must be sent to the next person on the list using USPS priority service / UPS / FedEx with delivery confirmation / tracking
-The unit needs to be shipped in the same condition that they received it
-Separate comments should be added on the USB cable itself
I'm posting this b/c I'll be the first reviewer. The Topaz and Polestar cable are on its way to me now, and I should receive it within the next few days. A review will then be forthcoming in a couple of weeks.
cant wait to read you review
i really like the 1/4 jack
Ill do my best:
- The key feature of this unit is its DAC. The headphone amp is mostly for presentation purposes. The volume knob after 12 will not add to the volume at all
- It gets hot, you can feel it at your hand. It will not burn you but the warm is around 40-50 degrees Celcius.
- Its headphone amp can sound bright, the midrange is not as dominate as its treble and bass. I would not call it recessed but the treble is quiet presence.
- It headphone amp was darn awful with XBA-4 which is low impedance IEM. That was expected as the suggest headphone impedance is 16-300 Ohm.
- Headphone section is not dark, there is audible hiss with my CK100PRO.
- Best synergy was with ER4S and this is why I kept it. It is a good enough amp/dac for my ER4S and i use it as my bed-side amp/dac however on quiet tracks you will have a hard time hearing anything.
- Using RCA to 3.5 to O2 I really like its DAC sound on par with ODAC however I admit and say perhaps the limit factor is the O2 and perhaps paired with a better amp the amps true potential might shine.
- If I was to go back and just care about the dac feature I would buy their Saphire LE edition which has OPA627 for its output. http://http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-STYLEAUDIO-CARAT-SAPPHIRE-LE-24Bit-PC-FI-Limited-Edition-Pre-Amp-Audio-DAC-/121066791453?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c3024a21d#ht_9103wt_1158
End word: Would I recommend it , No, spend a little more and get their carat saphire LE edition. Note I did nto hear it but the parts used in it is what normally used on high end products. However truth be told OPA627 is power hungry and I really do not know how 6V DC can provide that power.