Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp. - Page 8

post #106 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames37 View Post
You opened up your Ref 1 just to check?? Well.. Thanks!
Well, that and to switch it to NOS-mode. (Which is really interesting by the way, it actually acquires all the characteristics of a true NOS DAC. I love that DSP-1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames37 View Post
This was kind of my suspicion. Maybe we should ask Kingwa to confirm this?
If you want the details on it, I guess you should. The way I gather how this works is that with RCA output you're only using 4 of the 8 PCM1704 chips, but I believe those 2 chips per channel are also configured in a form of balanced mode where any information in the output not identical to both chips gets rejected. (I think....but better to ask Kingwa about this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames37 View Post
I completely agree a good source is extremely important and even more so when using a high-end amplifier like the Phoenix. I couldn't imagine connecting a Phoenix to a source such as an on-board PC sound card... YUCK!

I'm most definitely going to purchase a Phoenix when released and will also purchase a Ref 1 at some point. I recently purchased a DAC-19 since I wont be able to afford a Phoenix + Ref 1 anytime soon (either or) so I've put my funds aside until the release of Phoenix.
Obviously not an onboard soundcard, but I think even something like a basic NAD or Marantz cd player would make the financial outlay for the Phoenix a bit of a waste of money. The DAC-19 should work fine though. And should be a really interesting upgrade path, getting to know the PCM1704s inside out. (I know at least one other person who is doing this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames37 View Post
I chose the Phoenix over the Ref 1 because I figured Phoenix would offer a more dramatic upgrade when connected to a decent single-ended DAC than the Ref 1 would make when connected to a single-ended amp like the C-2C (my main amp right now) since the Ref 1's potential would probably be held back so much. I figured I might as well make the topic public so that it may help others wanting to follow an incremental upgrade path.
You know, I really can't figure out which of these two possibilities (Ref 1 or Phoenix) would be the bigger upgrade. The Ref One is a truly brilliant DAC, even with RCA output, but then again there's Curra's observation that he didn't really notice much difference between the Ref One balanced or SE through the C-2C, which suggest again that the C-2C can also definitely be improved upon.

I for one am looking forward with great anticipation to all of the possible comparisons. C-2C, Phoenix, DAC-19 and Ref One, there's so many possibilities in connecting all of these. Should be great fun and a wonderful voyage.
post #107 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames37 View Post

I'm most definitely going to purchase a Phoenix when released and will also purchase a Ref 1 at some point. I recently purchased a DAC-19 since I wont be able to afford a Phoenix + Ref 1 anytime soon (either or) so I've put my funds aside until the release of Phoenix.
Can someone with experience with DAC19 give me some impression please? I will order a DAC19MK3 when it is available, but would like to have some opinion about the DAC before ordering. Thanks.
post #108 of 3344
Before yesterday I didn't even know that Audio-gd even existed. I suppose that's what I get for being a snob and only visiting the High-End forum. The Phoenix looks like it will be one helluva product. It combines most of the features that I desire in a high performance amp and at a fracction of the price that I would expect, so I asked Kingwa to put me on the list for one (he said that he'll email me when available).

It's always risky buying sight un-heard, but at this price I figure it's worth a shot. I seriously doubt that it's good enough to use as the preamp in my reference system, but I'm sure it'll be more than good enough to replace my bedroom preamp (Aragon 24K which has no remote) and it's an inexpensive entry into Balanced headphone amplification.

Now all I have to do is get off my behind and recable my AKG K701's. I have 6 meters of Crystal cable to use, but I've been putting it off for over a year.
post #109 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Before yesterday I didn't even know that Audio-gd even existed. I suppose that's what I get for being a snob and only visiting the High-End forum. The Phoenix looks like it will be one helluva product. It combines most of the features that I desire in a high performance amp and at a fracction of the price that I would expect, so I asked Kingwa to put me on the list for one (he said that he'll email me when available).

It's always risky buying sight un-heard, but at this price I figure it's worth a shot. I seriously doubt that it's good enough to use as the preamp in my reference system, but I'm sure it'll be more than good enough to replace my bedroom preamp (Aragon 24K which has no remote) and it's an inexpensive entry into Balanced headphone amplification.
Welcome to the club! Yes, it's hard to see what can go wrong with a product like this. I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the Phoenix. Even more so because, in the end, Audio-gd is a company that's still starting out in the headphone amp area. It should be very valuable to have more listening impressions of their headamps from people who have heard a lot of good headphone amps. You might be able to provide a few pointers as to certain aspects specific to headamps where their product could still be improved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Now all I have to do is get off my behind and recable my AKG K701's. I have 6 meters of Crystal cable to use, but I've been putting it off for over a year.
Ha, they're Dutch! This is really OT, but could you tell which type of cable you're using from them? I'm curious because I'm looking for some kind of ├╝bercable myself to get the most out of my K500's.
post #110 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drosera View Post
Ha, they're Dutch! This is really OT, but could you tell which type of cable you're using from them? I'm curious because I'm looking for some kind of ├╝bercable myself to get the most out of my K500's.
It's Crystal Cable Piccolo. I'm the US importer of Siltech. I have re-cabled a set of Sony MDR SA-5000 with Siltech with great results. The Siltech however is too stiff so the headphones suffered ergonomically. The Piccolo is finer and much more flexible and since it actually uses the same Silver-Gold as a lot of Siltech I figured it's better suited.

Do a search for Sony SA-5000 (or maybe SA5000) and Siltech and you might find some threads where I wrote about my SA5000's. Most people balk at re-cabling with wires that cost more than the headphones
post #111 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
It's Crystal Cable Piccolo. I'm the US importer of Siltech. I have re-cabled a set of Sony MDR SA-5000 with Siltech with great results. The Siltech however is too stiff so the headphones suffered ergonomically. The Piccolo is finer and much more flexible and since it actually uses the same Silver-Gold as a lot of Siltech I figured it's better suited.

Do a search for Sony SA-5000 (or maybe SA5000) and Siltech and you might find some threads where I wrote about my SA5000's. Most people balk at re-cabling with wires that cost more than the headphones
Thanks for this. Unfortunately the pictures of your recabled Sony seem to have disappeared.
Valuable information about headphones and 9 Volt batteries too.
post #112 of 3344
newest picture from audio gd





post #113 of 3344
Can't wait to see a finished product
post #114 of 3344
Argh, I'd think about buying one of the DSP'd audioGDs like really seriously but only 1 digital input is a deal breaker for me. They need to put the 3 inputs on all of their gear.
post #115 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post
Argh, I'd think about buying one of the DSP'd audioGDs like really seriously but only 1 digital input is a deal breaker for me. They need to put the 3 inputs on all of their gear.
you can actually ask kingwa to custom make one
post #116 of 3344
Oh god...yeah, he'd probably paint a walrus on the side if I paid him enough, that man has the means to create a totally new design from nothing in a matter of weeks, adding different inputs is child's play for him.
post #117 of 3344
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post
Argh, I'd think about buying one of the DSP'd audioGDs like really seriously but only 1 digital input is a deal breaker for me. They need to put the 3 inputs on all of their gear.
I'm not following you here. You are referring to the DACs, correct? Not the Phoenix? Also, if you are inquiring about multiple switched inputs on the DACs, he'll put those on. He'll then tell you what that switch does to the SQ. Been there, done that!

He uses digital relay switching on his premaps I think. He "should" incorporate that Capability into the DACs. Like the Darwin Source Selector by Twisted Pear.

.
post #118 of 3344

Updates

This is/was going to be my next amp. Has anybody heard what's going on with it? Usually Kingwa updates project websites like a Demon. He hasn't touched the Phoenix site in a month or so. Looks like delays.

.
post #119 of 3344
He must be so busy testing those Compases being ordered.
post #120 of 3344
Has anyone heard anything from Kingwa concerning the Phoenix?

The last I got was on April 29th:

Quote:
We are testing the Phoenix.
If it is available ,we will show this news on our net.
Thanks for your attention.
Best regards.
Cherry
I don't particularly like the line "If it is available", I for one will be mightily disappointed if it doesn't make it into production. I just received my tax refund and was hoping to buy a Phoenix. Hmmm which will be available 1st the Phoenix or the HD-800's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.