or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread. - Page 6

post #76 of 688
I also got some RCA 5814a recently, one is from 1964 other 65. They have Black plate round getter extra mica supports, they adds alot of weight to each note very full bodied. Tube matches well with the teflon caps, as they smoothed alot of the meat behind my previous tubes in exchange for space and details. This tubes brings the weight back.

Do those GB sylvania's from ebay link triple mica?
post #77 of 688
Often see people referring to plate colour and getter shape, do these have any impact on sound, or are they just different methods of manufacture?
post #78 of 688
my knowledge on them is limited but I assume older the better, D getter is found on older tubes, black plates I find sounds better then gray,
post #79 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Yep, Already done that.

A new tube is cheaper than buying a new amp though, and each time you get a new tube to try it is like you have a new amp again.
I vote this post for quote of the year. People just dont understand how important tube rolling is.
post #80 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyid View Post
I also got some RCA 5814a recently, one is from 1964 other 65. They have Black plate round getter extra mica supports, they adds alot of weight to each note very full bodied. Tube matches well with the teflon caps, as they smoothed alot of the meat behind my previous tubes in exchange for space and details. This tubes brings the weight back.

Do those GB sylvania's from ebay link triple mica?
2 mica
post #81 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyid View Post
my knowledge on them is limited but I assume older the better, D getter is found on older tubes, black plates I find sounds better then gray,
I never concern myself with color or getter style. As long as you have the correct tube and it was made in the proper factory then I would not worry about it.
post #82 of 688
Well, I initially asked that question because I accidentally bid on 2 tubes of which I can only use 1. I thought they were a pair of GB Sylvania 5751 but instead it was one Sylvania GB 3 Mica gray plate 5751 and one Sylvania GB 5814A.

Should be up for sale here once I get those 2 tubes.
post #83 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
Well, I initially asked that question because I accidentally bid on 2 tubes of which I can only use 1. I thought they were a pair of GB Sylvania 5751 but instead it was one Sylvania GB 3 Mica gray plate 5751 and one Sylvania GB 5814A.

Should be up for sale here once I get those 2 tubes.
Dont worry about it, put the other 1 back on eBay if you dont sell it, BUT, the Sylvania you bought is a sweet tube, it walks the fine line between too warm and not. Its got plenty of weight but its not so rolled off in the highs like a lot of the warmer tubes are. You will have fun with that.
post #84 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
Well, I initially asked that question because I accidentally bid on 2 tubes of which I can only use 1. I thought they were a pair of GB Sylvania 5751 but instead it was one Sylvania GB 3 Mica gray plate 5751 and one Sylvania GB 5814A.

Should be up for sale here once I get those 2 tubes.
What will you do with the 5751's? For the CTH you want the 5814A.

5751 is a 12AX7 Variant. What you want is a 12AU7 or Variant!!! 12AU7 / 12AU7A / ECC82 / CV4003 / B749 / 5814A / 5693 / E82CC / 7316 / ECC802S
post #85 of 688
I'm getting the MAD Ear+ HD, so I'll need the 5751, not the 5814A. That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I'll have to sell the Sylvania GB 5814A. Somehow.
post #86 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
I'm getting the MAD Ear+ HD, so I'll need the 5751, not the 5814A. That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I'll have to sell the Sylvania GB 5814A. Somehow.
I get it.
post #87 of 688
12AU7 and 12AU7 Variant Tubes For Sale!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f44/tu...8/#post5614946
post #88 of 688
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
A new tube is cheaper than buying a new amp though, and each time you get a new tube to try it is like you have a new amp again.
YES & for this amp there are a load of them. Perhaps I'll amend the 1st post down the road & try to accumulate tubes + impressions in this amp. Again, there are other factors at play but I *think* a given tube's core influence on music in this amp *may* be able to be identified.

BTW, as I posted way back, very variable coupling caps do this too... Perhaps to a lesser extent & are way more trouble to fit/change.
BTW, I'm pulling the Mundorf S+Os for now as they are too lush/dark/bass-heavy w/all but a couple of my "brightest" tubes for my tastes (w/my fav D2000s, better w/DT-880s tho). Trying Sonicap Gen Is next. But in the end BoM or Wimas or Sonicap Gen IIs may be it.

olblueyez - Hey, what tubes will you have for those 3 CTH kits you said you would take Don't worry I know it wasn't a firm commitment
post #89 of 688
I have NEVER DIYed anything before, would you say this amp is easy to start with? It looks really packed.
post #90 of 688
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
I have NEVER DIYed anything before, would you say this amp is easy to start with? It looks really packed.
Would not say easy to start with. Nux(?) seems to have succeeded tho, guess it depends. Here are a couple of my thoughts on this.
Could be better to get at least one more simple build (cmoy?) under your belt... But you only live once & don't know your risk tolerance (waffle, wiggle, waggle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.