Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread. - Page 5

post #61 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
That would be cool but all I can grade it with is my 650's. That amp does well with 650's? or no?
I should think it will..a few members of the prototyping team have HD580s..so am going to say yes.
post #62 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
I should think it will..a few members of the prototyping team have HD580s..so am going to say yes.
Kewl
post #63 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
That would be cool but all I can grade it with is my 650's. That amp does well with 650's? or no?
Absolutely!
post #64 of 688
im near D.C., up in rockville
post #65 of 688
finally got my russian Teflons ft3; these are quite good. They are a bargain on ebay, music seemed to open up more (more space and details), vocals are great very smooth and natural. They are almost the size of the board They sound little slow but I think they need some burn in as others say with these Teflons.
post #66 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyid View Post
finally got my russian Teflons ft3; these are quite good. They are a bargain on ebay, music seemed to open up more (more space and details), vocals are great very smooth and natural. They are almost the size of the board They sound little slow but I think they need some burn in as others say with these Teflons.
Do you have a couple extra ? I want to try it out...going to install the Dayton's tomorrow.
post #67 of 688
Which teflons did you get? I'm using some .22uF 600V in my Tubelab Simple SE amp and they are quite huge, hehe. They sound fantastic though, the bulk is worth dealing with.
post #68 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyid View Post
im near D.C., up in rockville
We should hook up and try some different tubes.
post #69 of 688
Sachu - wish I had another pair sorry. Want a pair russian PIO's?

Coreyk - They are FT3. How long did yours take to burn in? They sound alot better now +4 hours burn in.

oldblueyez - yes, would like to take a gander at your tube collection. Ill make sure to sew in some hidden pockets

Going to have to case this amp soon, already had piece of wire short my regs. With these gigantic caps going have to experiment. Im thinking of having them attached on the sides like a rocket offset with plastic holders. The caps body doesnt like to touch ground (SG).
post #70 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyid View Post
Sachu - wish I had another pair sorry. Want a pair russian PIO's?

Coreyk - They are FT3. How long did yours take to burn in? They sound alot better now +4 hours burn in.

oldblueyez - yes, would like to take a gander at your tube collection. Ill make sure to sew in some hidden pockets

Going to have to case this amp soon, already had piece of wire short my regs. With these gigantic caps going have to experiment. Im thinking of having them attached on the sides like a rocket offset with plastic holders. The caps body doesnt like to touch ground (SG).
That is funny and I think you should do it. Maybe you could get a pseudo nose cone by having a pointed volume knob. You can call it "CTH Stage One".
post #71 of 688
I left my amp turned on for about 20 hours straight after I built it and they seemed to really wake up and smooth out, of course thats with ~470v running through them so it might happen a little faster, I can't say I have noticed any other significant changes since that initial burn in time.

That amp is easily my favorite speaker amp, I don't know if its really because of the FT-3s in the signal path, or if a single ended tube amp really just sounds that damn good, and I never knew that 10 watts could really get as loud as it does. I did learn that if I leave that amp on for that long it could almost pull double duty as a space heater though, haha, those 6L6GCs really put out some heat.
post #72 of 688
Im glad no one took me up on the free Mullard long plate, turns out it just needed some time to burn up some air after 50 years of sitting around, works perfect now.
post #73 of 688
This amp looks extremely customizable, though I would probably end up spending more on trying tubes than the amp itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
I'm assuming this is the normal price those Sylvania Gold Brand 5814 go for?
post #74 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
This amp looks extremely customizable, though I would probably end up spending more on trying tubes than the amp itself.



I'm assuming this is the normal price those Sylvania Gold Brand 5814 go for?
That is cheap for any GB series Sylvania tubes, especially the units with the gold pins.

God another one for you guys today: "RCA 5814A" Command, sounds great, closed in compared to the Siemens but they hit hard and voices are sweet as honey and the added weight did not come at the expense of speed like some of the other warm tube out there.
post #75 of 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberburger101 View Post
This amp looks extremely customizable, though I would probably end up spending more on trying tubes than the amp itself.
Yep, Already done that.

A new tube is cheaper than buying a new amp though, and each time you get a new tube to try it is like you have a new amp again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.