Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Wow!!! My First Portable Amp!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wow!!! My First Portable Amp!!! - Page 2

post #16 of 32
The iBasso amps are Chineese and the Meier is German.

When you use a lod from the iPod it plugs in to the analouge line-in of the amp and only uses the amp part so unless you also need this amp to connect via usb (or optical/coax) to a computer you do not need anything with a dac in it as the signal you get out of the iPod has already been converted by the built in dac of the iPod.
post #17 of 32
Sorry to steal this topic but nobody ever answers my threads

Maybe somebody will help me out here,

I use my grado 225s with my laptop through an Echo Indigo audio card, but the I am not happy with the sound the soundcard provides, I connected grados to a desktop Audigy card and the sound was way better!

So, my first obvious question is: Will a portable amp help me out with the sound quality with my setup?

And which one would you recommend specifically for Grado SR225? I got recommended Pico by jp11801, but that's out my budget, I max is $300-320.

Also what is the USB connector for? charging or for something else?
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtd View Post
Thank you. I'm considering this one as well with TTVJ. I see that you have one and could you tell me more about it and what you've used it with?
Sure. I really love the Meier Audio Corda 3Move. It's incredible.

I use it a lot of different ways:

1.) In my office, I connect the 3Move to my PC via USB, plug in my headphones and listen to iTunes and Sirius online (I produce a radio show that's on Sirius and XM). It sounds great with my Denon D2000's and the noise canceling Denons, the 732's. (But with my D7000's, the 3Move needs more power than the USB provides, so I'm looking for an external 12V power supply.)

2.) In my Home Theatre, I connect the 3Move to the receiver using Monster Cable RCA to miniplug cables. I power it with a 9V (they last for days and days and days) and plug in my 7000's to listen to my SACD player, Tivo S3, BluRay and more. Sounds amazing.

3.) On the Metro and in the air, I hook up the 3Move to my iPod using the included mini -to-mini cable, and listen through my Denon noise-canceling phones. Excellent.

4.) Finally, in the hotel when I'm traveling on business, I connect the 3Move to my laptop via USB, plug in the noise-canceling Denons (because they're the ones I travel with) and watch movies. Incredible sound.

I've also used it with the Beyerdynamic 770's and the 880's, and it was amazing how it brought out their sound...warm, detailed and tight.

This amp is extremely versatile, and the sound is over-the-top excellent. I love bass..that's why I got the 7000's...and it really, really produces.

I highly recommend it. I bought from Meier in Germany...arrived in DC in 7 days.

Hope this helps!
post #19 of 32
On units that are only amps a usb connection must be for charging a build in battery. On something like the Pico with a build in dac the usb connection can be for charging or powering the unit and connecting the dac to the computer. In that configuration the unit then works as a usb soundcard in place of your other soundcard. I can't recommend anything for your specific phones as I have never tried them but for you $300 budget I can heartily recommend the iBasso D10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGhost View Post
Sorry to steal this topic but nobody ever answers my threads

Maybe somebody will help me out here,

I use my grado 225s with my laptop through an Echo Indigo audio card, but the I am not happy with the sound the soundcard provides, I connected grados to a desktop Audigy card and the sound was way better!

So, my first obvious question is: Will a portable amp help me out with the sound quality with my setup?

And which one would you recommend specifically for Grado SR225? I got recommended Pico by jp11801, but that's out my budget, I max is $300-320.

Also what is the USB connector for? charging or for something else?
post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post
The iBasso amps are Chineese and the Meier is German.

When you use a lod from the iPod it plugs in to the analouge line-in of the amp and only uses the amp part so unless you also need this amp to connect via usb (or optical/coax) to a computer you do not need anything with a dac in it as the signal you get out of the iPod has already been converted by the built in dac of the iPod.
Okay I understand the iPod source; however, why I need the USB is that I'm using another source, which is my computer and bypassing it's sound card. I guess I wasn't clear on stating what my uses and needs are. I'm using the portable amp on two different sources (iPod and Computer) and it sounds like I'm on the right track. Is this correct in how I'm understanding this?

Thanks again for your reply.
post #21 of 32
Yes in that case an amp/dac would make a lot of sense. The iBasso D10 would be a fantastic unit for you but both a Pico or Ray's comparable unit should also be very good if you prefer to buy an American unit
post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post
Sure. I really love the Meier Audio Corda 3Move. It's incredible.

I use it a lot of different ways:

1.) In my office, I connect the 3Move to my PC via USB, plug in my headphones and listen to iTunes and Sirius online (I produce a radio show that's on Sirius and XM). It sounds great with my Denon D2000's and the noise canceling Denons, the 732's. (But with my D7000's, the 3Move needs more power than the USB provides, so I'm looking for an external 12V power supply.)

2.) In my Home Theatre, I connect the 3Move to the receiver using Monster Cable RCA to miniplug cables. I power it with a 9V (they last for days and days and days) and plug in my 7000's to listen to my SACD player, Tivo S3, BluRay and more. Sounds amazing.

3.) On the Metro and in the air, I hook up the 3Move to my iPod using the included mini -to-mini cable, and listen through my Denon noise-canceling phones. Excellent.

4.) Finally, in the hotel when I'm traveling on business, I connect the 3Move to my laptop via USB, plug in the noise-canceling Denons (because they're the ones I travel with) and watch movies. Incredible sound.

I've also used it with the Beyerdynamic 770's and the 880's, and it was amazing how it brought out their sound...warm, detailed and tight.

This amp is extremely versatile, and the sound is over-the-top excellent. I love bass..that's why I got the 7000's...and it really, really produces.

I highly recommend it. I bought from Meier in Germany...arrived in DC in 7 days.

Hope this helps!
Yes, this is extremely helpful and it sounds like I'm really leaning towards the 3Move as it's about $240 less than the Pico and Predator. I think I'll order one up from my favorite audio store as I know they definitely have one.

One other comment is does the 3Move have a gain switch, a low and high? First I'll be using my Shures and then the Grado's with the 3Move.

Thanks for all of your help in responding to my thread.
post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post
Yes in that case an amp/dac would make a lot of sense. The iBasso D10 would be a fantastic unit for you but both a Pico or Ray's comparable unit should also be very good if you prefer to buy an American unit
Thank you for your help on this as you've made this immensely easier to sort out all this stuff!!!

P.S. I don't mind German either as the 3Move seems to be my 1st choice now. Are you familiar with it?
post #24 of 32
Look here for additional information:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...ce-xm5-306883/
post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by berthoud View Post
Look here for additional information:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...ce-xm5-306883/
Thanks for this link as I saw it before; however, it eluded me since.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtd View Post
Yes, this is extremely helpful and it sounds like I'm really leaning towards the 3Move as it's about $240 less than the Pico and Predator. I think I'll order one up from my favorite audio store as I know they definitely have one.

One other comment is does the 3Move have a gain switch, a low and high? First I'll be using my Shures and then the Grado's with the 3Move.

Thanks for all of your help in responding to my thread.
You're very welcome.

Yes, the 3Move has high and low gain. The switches are right inside the battery compartment cover. It also has a switchable crossfeed filter, but I don't use that too much...I'm sure you know that's a switch that allows the image to be somewhat blended, instead of extreme right and left stereo.

Good luck!
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtd View Post
Thank you for your help on this as you've made this immensely easier to sort out all this stuff!!!

P.S. I don't mind German either as the 3Move seems to be my 1st choice now. Are you familiar with it?
Your'e wellcome. No I haver never encountered a Meier amp but the 3Move seems very well regarded. Actually my personal experience with amp/dac units is limited to iBasso D1 and D10 and shortly on a meet the Pico.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtd View Post
Please see my reply to nc8000 above and help me out if I'm making the correct interpretation on how to use a Predator.
"it selects between a mini stereo input source and the USB input" Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp - Ray Samuels Audio
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtd View Post
Thanks for this link as I saw it before; however, it eluded me since.

No problem, its a great thread, helped me sift through all of this information!
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post
On units that are only amps a usb connection must be for charging a build in battery. On something like the Pico with a build in dac the usb connection can be for charging or powering the unit and connecting the dac to the computer. In that configuration the unit then works as a usb soundcard in place of your other soundcard. I can't recommend anything for your specific phones as I have never tried them but for you $300 budget I can heartily recommend the iBasso D10.
Thanks a lot NC!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Wow!!! My First Portable Amp!!!