Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE7: The Review (Lots of pics & comparison with IE8 & HD600) [56k warning]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE7: The Review (Lots of pics & comparison with IE8 & HD600) [56k warning] - Page 5

post #61 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slides View Post
More controlled bass with the turbines? To me, they sounded overly boomy and the mids were almost completely overtaken by the lows. I preferred the quality of the IE7 bass to the turbines even if the turbines had more quantity.
Right out of the box bass was almost unbearable with the IE7's. After some serious burn in, the IE7's bass is much tighter, controlled, and detailed. Got around 250 hours of burn in on the turbines and the bass has less quantity but much tighter.
post #62 of 103
I currently own Denon C700 and have started looking for a replacement (with good bass and soundstage).

I am also very interested in the Turbines V IE7 comparison.
Thanks.
post #63 of 103
That channel (similar to the one on my CX6) is for channeling out the dirt using the removal tool without having to lift the dirt upwards, because while doing so, sometimes the hand can go downwards for a moment & that could push the dirt into the mesh & through to the diaphragm - probably spoiling it forever !

Another reason is for soft dirt to slide through that channel first rather than onto the mesh straightaway - notice that a tiny hole is visible even when the tips are on !
post #64 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingman View Post
I wonder what the purpose of that channel on the nozzle:



That is the second time I have seen it. The first was on the CX 6:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ml#post5419035
That channel (similar to the one on my CX6) is for channeling out the dirt using the removal tool without having to lift the dirt upwards, because while doing so, sometimes the hand can go downwards for a moment & that could push the dirt into the mesh & through to the diaphragm - probably spoiling it forever !

Another reason is for soft dirt to slide through that channel first rather than onto the mesh straightaway - notice that a tiny hole is visible even when the tips are on !
post #65 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn View Post
Just got my Turnines, and I have the IE7's. I'm burning in the Turbines so it's not fair to make a comparison as of yet. What I can compare is the 'right out of the box' sound. Turbines have more controlled bass, better imaging, and sharper highs. I wasn't very impressed with how the IE8 and IE7 sounded right out of the box.

Out of the box for me the IE7 were far superior in every way to the Turbine. The Turbine has too much bass with a large mid bass hump and pretty poor clarity. Lots of distortion.

My Turbine has 100+ hours on it and it still sounds bass heavy, lacks clarity and speed. The imaging on the Turbines is pretty compressed and distorted even after 100+ hours. Stuff that should be at the bottom of the stage comes from behind the middle plane at the same height as the vocals. Not much depth perception either.

I get the best seal with the large foam tips on the IE7 they are the only tips that get me any seal. I used the Turbine medium tips and the bass was just overwhelming and the clarity was lost.

I ordered the Sony ex tips so we'll see how they workout with the IE7. But the large hard foam sleeve seems to give me pretty good SQ so far.

There is no comparison for me between the Turbine and IE 7. The IE 7 is just better except may be in the isolation department.
post #66 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Out of the box for me the IE7 were far superior in every way to the Turbine. The Turbine has too much bass with a large mid bass hump and pretty poor clarity. Lots of distortion.

My Turbine has 100+ hours on it and it still sounds bass heavy, lacks clarity and speed. The imaging on the Turbines is pretty compressed and distorted even after 100+ hours. Stuff that should be at the bottom of the stage comes from behind the middle plane at the same height as the vocals. Not much depth perception either.

I get the best seal with the large foam tips on the IE7 they are the only tips that get me any seal. I used the Turbine medium tips and the bass was just overwhelming and the clarity was lost.

I ordered the Sony ex tips so we'll see how they workout with the IE7. But the large hard foam sleeve seems to give me pretty good SQ so far.

There is no comparison for me between the Turbine and IE 7. The IE 7 is just better except may be in the isolation department.
Both of them now have 300+ hours of burn in. I completely agree that the IE7's do everything better except for isolation. I expected more from the turbines after the burn in period. For the money, they still are a very good iem. The IE7's sound signature definitely makes up for the extra $ as compared to the turbines sound sig. Did you try the Comply T400 tips with the IE7's?
post #67 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn View Post
Both of them now have 300+ hours of burn in. I completely agree that the IE7's do everything better except for isolation. I expected more from the turbines after the burn in period. For the money, they still are a very good iem. The IE7's sound signature definitely makes up for the extra $ as compared to the turbines sound sig. Did you try the Comply T400 tips with the IE7's?
I haven't. The nozzle looked to big so I didn't even try. The Turbine's silicon was a pain to get on the IE 7. I thought the T-400 has a harder material and smaller opening so figured they wouldn't fit.

I have a few so I am going to give that a shot. Thanks.
post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
I haven't. The nozzle looked to big so I didn't even try. The Turbine's silicon was a pain to get on the IE 7. I thought the T-400 has a harder material and smaller opening so figured they wouldn't fit.

I have a few so I am going to give that a shot. Thanks.
Try to rock them back and forth instead of twisting them on or off. I find it much easier that way. I actually twisted off a nozzle on my IE8's. It didn't break, it's just that not enough glue was applied. The T400's have a really tight fit on the IE7 and IE8.
post #69 of 103
picked mine up today and it is far and beyond better than my er6i and stock apple(obviously, lol)

one thing i notice is the "openness" i am not sure if this is the right word but it sounds very nice that unlike the er6i, it feels more open

will write some impression on my original thread later, too busy enjoying even right out the box except for the lack of boominess from bass
post #70 of 103
From the pics it looks like the splitter between left and right cable is fairly large, can someone confirm whether this is a problem for sports or wearing the cabling under a shirt.

Also, the shape of the IE7 is quite distinctive compared to the roundish bullet shape of most phones...how does this impact on fit (particularly smaller ears). I currently use Denon C700 (which have a large bullet shape) and are sticking out quite a bit from my ears, which I don't like.
post #71 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by suba3333 View Post
From the pics it looks like the splitter between left and right cable is fairly large, can someone confirm whether this is a problem for sports or wearing the cabling under a shirt.

Also, the shape of the IE7 is quite distinctive compared to the roundish bullet shape of most phones...how does this impact on fit (particularly smaller ears). I currently use Denon C700 (which have a large bullet shape) and are sticking out quite a bit from my ears, which I don't like.
the splitter is not too large, 1.5cmx.5cm only

it fits rather well on my ears surprisingly, it won't stick out and i use small tips mostly so i have a small ear canal as well. if you know the size of er6i, the ie7 isn't even as far as that
post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrocyanic View Post
picked mine up today and it is far and beyond better than my er6i and stock apple(obviously, lol)

one thing i notice is the "openness" i am not sure if this is the right word but it sounds very nice that unlike the er6i, it feels more open

will write some impression on my original thread later, too busy enjoying even right out the box except for the lack of boominess from bass
Yeah, openness is the huge soundstage that the IE7s have.

Lack of boominess? If that is what you are looking for, then after burn-in won't make you happier, since the bass actually loses a bit of the boom it has and the bass gets tighter and more detailed.
post #73 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
Yeah, openness is the huge soundstage that the IE7s have.

Lack of boominess? If that is what you are looking for, then after burn-in won't make you happier, since the bass actually loses a bit of the boom it has and the bass gets tighter and more detailed.
i am not sure if i used the right term, but given the openness of the sound, i was expecting a little more impact coming from the set too much to ask for and i might have to pay 100 more for IE8

i am afraid i won't be doing any comparison as the others i have isn't even on par against it, maybe my bose OE, but that's a different thing to be compared.

at this point the ie7 sounds a little rough; let's see how it goes later
post #74 of 103
Well, give it some time to fully develop...and then make a decision. For me, after burn in was what I was looking for. It did lose a bit of the boom in the bass that I did like, but it made up for it by being more refined and more detailed.
post #75 of 103
duplicate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE7: The Review (Lots of pics & comparison with IE8 & HD600) [56k warning]