Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread - Page 69

post #1021 of 1116

Feels like a good seal now sound is awesome bass is just..... :) ive actually put my microphone at my ear to see if it records any sound and well its minimal even less then my re0 with olive shures and ive never heard anyone say they can hear my music.

 

Now its just time for me to EQ it on my Cowon S9, if anyone have a S9 or J3 with jeteffect 3 and has some tips i would love them:)

post #1022 of 1116

Hey, mangs.

 

So, I'm a bit of a sucker for IEMs. I've always wanted a pair of Turbines as the build quality and whatnot really attracts me, but they're somewhat hard to obtain in Australia, so I went with a pair of Ultimate Ears 700, which are pretty damn fantastic - I think I've lost my carry case, though :(.

 

ANYWAY! I understand that the Turbines shine with Hip Hop and the like, but I listen pretty much exclusively to Metal - progressive, technical, death, doom, post-rock, etc - so, it's not all distortion and heaviness; there're a lot of soft passages, layers, intricacies, just as with any genre and I do enjoy both a good bass response and detail in my music.

 

In conclusion: I'm not expecting them to be PERFECT for my tastes, but I kind of REALLY want a pair and am merely wondering whether they'd be ample.

 

Thanks, guys.

post #1023 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post

Just got my Turbines today:) I'm having some issues with the buds though i can't really get a good fit. Do anyone have a recommendation to try something out or some specific bud that works for them from what you get? Also how is other peoples isolation and have you tested it how people around you hear? Now i didn't get a perfect fit but people around can hear what i listen to very very low but still hearable.



I was never able to gt a good seal with any of the tips that came with my turbines.  The best was the large flanged set, but those went a little too far into my ear canal to be comfortable.  The largest mushroom tip was next best but was still just a tad too small, I could manage a good seal temporarily but as soon as I moved a little bit I would lose it.  I've ended up using Comply tips and get a great seal with those.

post #1024 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post

Just got my Turbines today:) I'm having some issues with the buds though i can't really get a good fit. Do anyone have a recommendation to try something out or some specific bud that works for them from what you get? Also how is other peoples isolation and have you tested it how people around you hear? Now i didn't get a perfect fit but people around can hear what i listen to very very low but still hearable.


The Sony Hybrids (that you can get at Best Buy if you're interested) are the best tips for me.  I use them on virtually every headphone they'll fit on.  I love the fit/seal/comfort of them and they work great with the Turbines.

 

post #1025 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickcenary View Post

Hey, mangs.

 

So, I'm a bit of a sucker for IEMs. I've always wanted a pair of Turbines as the build quality and whatnot really attracts me, but they're somewhat hard to obtain in Australia, so I went with a pair of Ultimate Ears 700, which are pretty damn fantastic - I think I've lost my carry case, though :(.

 

ANYWAY! I understand that the Turbines shine with Hip Hop and the like, but I listen pretty much exclusively to Metal - progressive, technical, death, doom, post-rock, etc - so, it's not all distortion and heaviness; there're a lot of soft passages, layers, intricacies, just as with any genre and I do enjoy both a good bass response and detail in my music.

 

In conclusion: I'm not expecting them to be PERFECT for my tastes, but I kind of REALLY want a pair and am merely wondering whether they'd be ample.

 

Thanks, guys.


No, they won't match the speed of the UE700.  Why do you want the Turbines for those genres when you have the UE700?  Just looks?

post #1026 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickcenary View Post

Hey, mangs.

 

So, I'm a bit of a sucker for IEMs. I've always wanted a pair of Turbines as the build quality and whatnot really attracts me, but they're somewhat hard to obtain in Australia, so I went with a pair of Ultimate Ears 700, which are pretty damn fantastic - I think I've lost my carry case, though :(.

 

ANYWAY! I understand that the Turbines shine with Hip Hop and the like, but I listen pretty much exclusively to Metal - progressive, technical, death, doom, post-rock, etc - so, it's not all distortion and heaviness; there're a lot of soft passages, layers, intricacies, just as with any genre and I do enjoy both a good bass response and detail in my music.

 

In conclusion: I'm not expecting them to be PERFECT for my tastes, but I kind of REALLY want a pair and am merely wondering whether they'd be ample.

 

Thanks, guys.


I find the MD's lacking in speed and sound distorted with those genres you mentioned so I don't expect the turbines to be any better, though from a brief listen with my sisters they are great with hip hop, dub step, r&b etc.
 

 

post #1027 of 1116

Wow these things are quite tough.

Mine accidentally went through the wash and came out... cleaner.

They still sound fine. (I probably should have gotten something different because I listen to rock and metal almost exclusively with the occasional classical. For the $40 I paid though, they are great)

post #1028 of 1116

I would like to get a pair, hiphop/rap in my ears a lot, question: control talk or not?

post #1029 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




No, they won't match the speed of the UE700.  Why do you want the Turbines for those genres when you have the UE700?  Just looks?


 

I've always wanted a pair; research into the UE700 came after my concluding that due to there being a lot of fakes of Turbines and only 2 authorised dealers in all of Australia, they'd be a bit too hard to obtain. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that I went with the 700, but if I've a bit of cash lying around, what better to spend it on than earphones? I don't have to upgrade every single time.

post #1030 of 1116

It appears the Coppers have been upgraded.  Link.

post #1031 of 1116

Love my turbines. Great bass.

post #1032 of 1116
Love the SQ and detail mine provide (compared to the bose on ears, it made me flinch at how different it sounded. like the difference between walking through new york and suddenly finding yourself in willy wonka's factory).

One problem i'm having with mine is that the diaphragm for the driver seems messed up somehow. More so the left ear one than the right ear. THe pressure in my ears is inconsistent while wearing them and if there is too much pressure, they sound muffled. When I adjust them, occasionally its as if the driver pops out to a convex shape instead of concave and they completely stop outputting sound in that ear. It's really weird and I have no idea how to get rid of that. I guess thats the danger of having closed IEM instead of open...

Another problem is with my earing, I hear like a whooshy soap-in-ear foamy sound when I listen to audiobooks. Also occasionally I hear my ear crackle. its only my left ear and it happens with any ear bud. Im gonna have a doctor take a look at it, i suspect theres a large build up of wax sitting around in there and I cant get to it with an ear bud. Even going half way in hurts that ear with an ear bud, but my right ear feels fine. Left ear canal feels swollen.
post #1033 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimants View Post

One problem i'm having with mine is that the diaphragm for the driver seems messed up somehow. More so the left ear one than the right ear. THe pressure in my ears is inconsistent while wearing them and if there is too much pressure, they sound muffled. When I adjust them, occasionally its as if the driver pops out to a convex shape instead of concave and they completely stop outputting sound in that ear. It's really weird and I have no idea how to get rid of that. I guess thats the danger of having closed IEM instead of open...

Another problem is with my earing, I hear like a whooshy soap-in-ear foamy sound when I listen to audiobooks. Also occasionally I hear my ear crackle. its only my left ear and it happens with any ear bud. Im gonna have a doctor take a look at it, i suspect theres a large build up of wax sitting around in there and I cant get to it with an ear bud. Even going half way in hurts that ear with an ear bud, but my right ear feels fine. Left ear canal feels swollen.


Yup, that's exactly what is happening.  The best thing IMO is to pull up on the tip of your ear and insert them at an angle so the pressure can fins an 'out' as you insert them.

 

post #1034 of 1116
insert them....at an angle? what kind of angle are we talking here? like downwards? or down and from the back of head towards front? One thing that i've found alleviates this is using the small triple flange tips, but that also makes my ear get sore really quickly. Only the tiny ear tips fit my ears, the other ones pop right out or sound airy, meaning there isnt a proper seal, meaning they are crinkled within my ear.
post #1035 of 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimants View Post

insert them....at an angle? what kind of angle are we talking here? like downwards? or down and from the back of head towards front? One thing that i've found alleviates this is using the small triple flange tips, but that also makes my ear get sore really quickly. Only the tiny ear tips fit my ears, the other ones pop right out or sound airy, meaning there isnt a proper seal, meaning they are crinkled within my ear.


Meelec biflanges are shorter and wont irritate your ear like triples.  Plus they have better silicone and larger bores for clarity.  Much better for dealing w/ driver flex too.  

 

Yeah any angle.  Just lets more air pressure escape.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread