or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › A comparison between AD700 / AD900 / AD1000 / AD2000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A comparison between AD700 / AD900 / AD1000 / AD2000 - Page 2

post #16 of 49
Nice Review! Hope I get my ad900s soon
post #17 of 49
ad2000s sometimes frustrate me with jazz music because of the way they tend to slay everything they touch wth an extreme sense of pRAT...
I'd like it to chillax and be laid back once in a while...
but then again, that's why I have my W5000/w100
post #18 of 49
Nice write-up, thanks!
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercomplete View Post
Nice review. The AD2000s are special headphones. They are starting to challenge my K501s for overall favorite and I love my 501s to death. They are not for everyone though and the rolled off (or less bright) treble might turn many off from it. They have the best combination of bass extention and bass detail (tightness) that I have heard yet in a pair of headphones.
Spot on. With me they have driven my K500s to the second place...
post #20 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraseyboy View Post
You swapped the wings on your AD700's and AD2000's? Looks cool.
Yes, I did. I thought all black is a bit boring . Though the AD2000 are not really black, they are more like very dark blue, like in the last picture with flash on you can see very clear.
On the other hand, the AD1000 are already look cool with the real black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB18
Would you say the upper mid/lower treble on the AD900 is a lot more prominent or only a bit. I don't want the A900 to loose too much of the AD700's warmth and I'm a bit sensitive to those frequencies.
Hmm it is hard to justify what really "a lot" means to each individuals. To me I would say the different is very clear, I don't think the AD900 loose to much of warmth, enough to make the mids more natural and smooth.
With the AD1000 compare to AD700, that would be a lot more prominent.
post #21 of 49

great review!

Thanks for the excellent review. It's exactly what I was wondering about the AD900s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat_thanh View Post
The mids is one of the strongest point about these cans, smooth, clear, involving and color. However, there is a bit of different in the the upper-mid, lower-treb . In the AD700, it is very recessed in this area, you can feel that something is missing in the vocal, I wouldn’t say that is a bad thing, because it make the AD700 sound very warm. In the AD900, this area is more prominent, it has more sparkles, somehow the mid-to-treb sounds smoother and fuller, it also makes the AD900 brighter.
That's exactly what I thought about the AD700s and lacking in the lower-treble, so if that range is more boosted in the AD900 (plus a little more bass doesn't hurt) it sounds like close to the perfect headphone! I am really psyched to try the 900s now, so thanks for the great write-up.
post #22 of 49
Thank you for not bashing the AD1000s! I was getting tired of that.

Great review! With the AD1000s I agree that the spike in the upper mids is really bothersome with a lot of music (crashes and rides come out A LOT, female vocals can get odd). Maybe they get a lot of flack because they aren't really all rounders like the other ADs can be, but for some I would say it's a good buy in it's price range. Would you agree that they are more of a cousin (step brother?) in sound to the rest of the line? I'm doing up a review of them, I'll be sure to link to this.

Too bad now I want the k601s to fill the hole I have for a pair of cans with a relaxed / smooth / midcentric sound... le sigh...
post #23 of 49
Thread Starter 
The AD1000 definitely have common grounds to the others, the one that have the most different from the rest is the AD2000, they sound darker and the presentation a bit different.
I was disappointed a bit because the AD1000 are not as airy as the AD700s and 900s, that airy presentation is what I like the most about them. However, the result of that is the AD1000 is more transparent and clearer.
But the brightness of the AD1000 is also really bothered me, and there are still as grainy as the AD900 as far as I remember, and that really annoys me, while the AD2000 are completely grainfree, oh well not 100%, but certainly much less
IMO the AD1000 are also the all-rounders just like the others (not an ideal cans for classical though). Considering the sound signature, the AD1000 probably the one that I like the least, however because of the refinement and better overall I would put them above the AD700 and 900.
post #24 of 49
nice comparison, I just got my ad2000 in today and am listening to it out of a zune until my amp comes in. From hearing it, I can understand the "love it or hate it" aspect of the ad2000 already but I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention for it's midrange here on head-fi. It is very forward and involving(obviously some people hate it being so up front) but it is definitely in the running for best midrange I've heard. Won't make final judgement until I listen to it for awhile and after the xp-7 arrives.
post #25 of 49
I'm very interested in the AD900, but i can't figure out what kind of presentation it has. Everyone says they have a very airy soundstage but does that mean they are kind of distant like K701? Or is it a bit forward? I prefer when voices sound close to me rather than lost somewhere in the background.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbaddict View Post
I'm very interested in the AD900, but i can't figure out what kind of presentation it has. Everyone says they have a very airy soundstage but does that mean they are kind of distant like K701? Or is it a bit forward? I prefer when voices sound close to me rather than lost somewhere in the background.
I *think* voices might sound closer rather than farther away, or at least closer than AD700s. But I couldn't figure it out either, so I finally just ordered a pair today to find out for myself. I was too curious about these cans by far.
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbaddict View Post
I'm very interested in the AD900, but i can't figure out what kind of presentation it has. Everyone says they have a very airy soundstage but does that mean they are kind of distant like K701? Or is it a bit forward? I prefer when voices sound close to me rather than lost somewhere in the background.
I've never heard the AD900, but in comparing the AD700 and K701, I found the AD700 to have a wider soundstage. Voices never sound lost through either, though.
post #28 of 49
userlander: i'd be curious to know your opinion when you receive them

lucky: okay but for you wider soundstage = more distant or just more depth?
post #29 of 49
Thread Starter 
IMO the AD900 don't sound distant *at all*! Compare to Grados or the AD2000, they might sound a bit more push-back, but when stand alone they have foward mids and wide soundstage, and vocals sound great.
Anybody who have heard the AD900 wouldn't use the word "distant" to describe them.
post #30 of 49
Ok thanks nhat thanh, sounds good then! Especially the mids.
I remember a guy describing them as a bit thin and lifeless compared to DT880 but the AD900 can easily go unamped which is important to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › A comparison between AD700 / AD900 / AD1000 / AD2000