A very high impedance mismatch could stress the trafos to overheat.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 9/19/16 at 6:39am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 61
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #902 of 22337/14/11 at 6:46pm
As far as I remember, Skylab did mentioned that connecting HE-6 to the speaker terminal give best result, but not so good with LCD-2 as it increases noise floor. Maybe he revise his statement Skylab will clarify.post #903 of 22337/14/11 at 8:31pmpost #904 of 22337/25/11 at 5:40ampost #905 of 22337/25/11 at 7:04am
Just for my knowledge, do you know why is it? I thought the speaker tap is designed to deliver 4 or 8 ohms and 50 ohms load should be easy peazy? no?post #906 of 22337/25/11 at 7:36am
Tried using Mullards for both 12AX7s and EL84s today (both sets from the '50s). For acoustics, the combination sounds great, but for pop music, the bass sounds incredibly slow and a bit fat even on my Monitor Audio speakers. Sounds quite horrible on the already fat LCD2's (Rev 1) bloated bass range - so I switched back the 12AX7s to the Amperex Bugleboy (also 1950's) and everything is fine again. I also got the Sylvania 12AX7s and the pair sounds more balanced than with the Amperex on my speakers, but for the LCD2s, I prefer the Amperex due to LCD2's rolled off highs (again the Rev 1, so the same combination may not suit the Rev 2).
Conclusion: in my experience the following combination is the best for LCD2 Rev 1:
12AX7: Amperex Bugleboy Long Plate D-getter 1950's
EL84: Mullard 1950's - they are quite rare so get whatever you can as long as they are from 1950's.
FYI I also have and tried the following tubes - Sovtek 12AX7s and EL84s (stock tubes from Leben), Gold Lion EL84s, Mazda 12AX7s, Telefunken smooth plates, Sylvania 12AX7 and Brimars.post #907 of 22337/25/11 at 7:58am
I thought 10-20 hours was plenty.Quote:
Supposedly that is not ENOUGH of a load for the transformer.post #908 of 22337/25/11 at 12:00pmpost #909 of 22337/25/11 at 12:16pmpost #910 of 22337/25/11 at 12:38pmpost #911 of 22337/25/11 at 5:58pm
Sylvania Gold Brand 3 Mica Grey Plates, as well as the Black Plates, have pretty much what I've been using in my Leben. They have a real smooth, dynamic, extended sound to me. I love them. I'm torn on the output tubes, I had Mullards in for a while, now I have Tungsram E84Ls in. I have bounced back and forth between these and for a little while I had Sylvania 6BQ5s which were a tad less smooth, and little more neutral.post #912 of 22337/25/11 at 9:15pm
Hmm, sorry, I'm an electronic noob, so the transformer can't release energy large enough, thus will damage the transformer, is that the correct analogy?post #913 of 22337/26/11 at 6:00ampost #914 of 22337/26/11 at 7:32am
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 26 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 3 minutes ago
- › Prog rock 4 minutes ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear