A very high impedance mismatch could stress the trafos to overheat.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 9/19/16 at 6:39am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 61
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #902 of 22347/14/11 at 6:46pm
As far as I remember, Skylab did mentioned that connecting HE-6 to the speaker terminal give best result, but not so good with LCD-2 as it increases noise floor. Maybe he revise his statement Skylab will clarify.post #903 of 22347/14/11 at 8:31pmpost #904 of 22347/25/11 at 5:40ampost #905 of 22347/25/11 at 7:04am
Just for my knowledge, do you know why is it? I thought the speaker tap is designed to deliver 4 or 8 ohms and 50 ohms load should be easy peazy? no?post #906 of 22347/25/11 at 7:36am
Tried using Mullards for both 12AX7s and EL84s today (both sets from the '50s). For acoustics, the combination sounds great, but for pop music, the bass sounds incredibly slow and a bit fat even on my Monitor Audio speakers. Sounds quite horrible on the already fat LCD2's (Rev 1) bloated bass range - so I switched back the 12AX7s to the Amperex Bugleboy (also 1950's) and everything is fine again. I also got the Sylvania 12AX7s and the pair sounds more balanced than with the Amperex on my speakers, but for the LCD2s, I prefer the Amperex due to LCD2's rolled off highs (again the Rev 1, so the same combination may not suit the Rev 2).
Conclusion: in my experience the following combination is the best for LCD2 Rev 1:
12AX7: Amperex Bugleboy Long Plate D-getter 1950's
EL84: Mullard 1950's - they are quite rare so get whatever you can as long as they are from 1950's.
FYI I also have and tried the following tubes - Sovtek 12AX7s and EL84s (stock tubes from Leben), Gold Lion EL84s, Mazda 12AX7s, Telefunken smooth plates, Sylvania 12AX7 and Brimars.post #907 of 22347/25/11 at 7:58am
I thought 10-20 hours was plenty.Quote:
Supposedly that is not ENOUGH of a load for the transformer.post #908 of 22347/25/11 at 12:00pmpost #909 of 22347/25/11 at 12:16pmpost #910 of 22347/25/11 at 12:38pmpost #911 of 22347/25/11 at 5:58pm
Sylvania Gold Brand 3 Mica Grey Plates, as well as the Black Plates, have pretty much what I've been using in my Leben. They have a real smooth, dynamic, extended sound to me. I love them. I'm torn on the output tubes, I had Mullards in for a while, now I have Tungsram E84Ls in. I have bounced back and forth between these and for a little while I had Sylvania 6BQ5s which were a tad less smooth, and little more neutral.post #912 of 22347/25/11 at 9:15pm
Hmm, sorry, I'm an electronic noob, so the transformer can't release energy large enough, thus will damage the transformer, is that the correct analogy?post #913 of 22347/26/11 at 6:00ampost #914 of 22347/26/11 at 7:32am
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 53 seconds ago
- › Cant decide (Fiio X5III or almos equivalently priced headphones) 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line... 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 6 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 6 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear