A very high impedance mismatch could stress the trafos to overheat.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 7/2/14 at 9:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Headphone Impedance
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 61
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As far as I remember, Skylab did mentioned that connecting HE-6 to the speaker terminal give best result, but not so good with LCD-2 as it increases noise floor. Maybe he revise his statement Skylab will clarify.
Just for my knowledge, do you know why is it? I thought the speaker tap is designed to deliver 4 or 8 ohms and 50 ohms load should be easy peazy? no?
Tried using Mullards for both 12AX7s and EL84s today (both sets from the '50s). For acoustics, the combination sounds great, but for pop music, the bass sounds incredibly slow and a bit fat even on my Monitor Audio speakers. Sounds quite horrible on the already fat LCD2's (Rev 1) bloated bass range - so I switched back the 12AX7s to the Amperex Bugleboy (also 1950's) and everything is fine again. I also got the Sylvania 12AX7s and the pair sounds more balanced than with the Amperex on my speakers, but for the LCD2s, I prefer the Amperex due to LCD2's rolled off highs (again the Rev 1, so the same combination may not suit the Rev 2).
Conclusion: in my experience the following combination is the best for LCD2 Rev 1:
12AX7: Amperex Bugleboy Long Plate D-getter 1950's
EL84: Mullard 1950's - they are quite rare so get whatever you can as long as they are from 1950's.
FYI I also have and tried the following tubes - Sovtek 12AX7s and EL84s (stock tubes from Leben), Gold Lion EL84s, Mazda 12AX7s, Telefunken smooth plates, Sylvania 12AX7 and Brimars.
I thought 10-20 hours was plenty.
Supposedly that is not ENOUGH of a load for the transformer.
Sylvania Gold Brand 3 Mica Grey Plates, as well as the Black Plates, have pretty much what I've been using in my Leben. They have a real smooth, dynamic, extended sound to me. I love them. I'm torn on the output tubes, I had Mullards in for a while, now I have Tungsram E84Ls in. I have bounced back and forth between these and for a little while I had Sylvania 6BQ5s which were a tad less smooth, and little more neutral.
Hmm, sorry, I'm an electronic noob, so the transformer can't release energy large enough, thus will damage the transformer, is that the correct analogy?
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
- › please, help me pick a pair of headphones! 7 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 26 seconds ago
- › Eating burger with fork and knife? 28 seconds ago
- › Best Amplifier for my HE-560s (I listen to Hip-Hop, Electronic) -... 45 seconds ago
- › B.M.C. Announces PureDAC 1 minute ago
- › Comparison / Review : Beyerdynamic’s Siblings – The Classic DT880... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 3 minutes ago
- › Macbook Pro to Amp Connection Options. First Amp! 3 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)