A very high impedance mismatch could stress the trafos to overheat.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 12/7/13 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
- Headphone Impedance
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 61
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As far as I remember, Skylab did mentioned that connecting HE-6 to the speaker terminal give best result, but not so good with LCD-2 as it increases noise floor. Maybe he revise his statement Skylab will clarify.
Just for my knowledge, do you know why is it? I thought the speaker tap is designed to deliver 4 or 8 ohms and 50 ohms load should be easy peazy? no?
Tried using Mullards for both 12AX7s and EL84s today (both sets from the '50s). For acoustics, the combination sounds great, but for pop music, the bass sounds incredibly slow and a bit fat even on my Monitor Audio speakers. Sounds quite horrible on the already fat LCD2's (Rev 1) bloated bass range - so I switched back the 12AX7s to the Amperex Bugleboy (also 1950's) and everything is fine again. I also got the Sylvania 12AX7s and the pair sounds more balanced than with the Amperex on my speakers, but for the LCD2s, I prefer the Amperex due to LCD2's rolled off highs (again the Rev 1, so the same combination may not suit the Rev 2).
Conclusion: in my experience the following combination is the best for LCD2 Rev 1:
12AX7: Amperex Bugleboy Long Plate D-getter 1950's
EL84: Mullard 1950's - they are quite rare so get whatever you can as long as they are from 1950's.
FYI I also have and tried the following tubes - Sovtek 12AX7s and EL84s (stock tubes from Leben), Gold Lion EL84s, Mazda 12AX7s, Telefunken smooth plates, Sylvania 12AX7 and Brimars.
I thought 10-20 hours was plenty.
Supposedly that is not ENOUGH of a load for the transformer.
Sylvania Gold Brand 3 Mica Grey Plates, as well as the Black Plates, have pretty much what I've been using in my Leben. They have a real smooth, dynamic, extended sound to me. I love them. I'm torn on the output tubes, I had Mullards in for a while, now I have Tungsram E84Ls in. I have bounced back and forth between these and for a little while I had Sylvania 6BQ5s which were a tad less smooth, and little more neutral.
Hmm, sorry, I'm an electronic noob, so the transformer can't release energy large enough, thus will damage the transformer, is that the correct analogy?
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 32 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 53 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 1 minute ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Dutch Headphone Meet 2014 (Germans & Belgians welcome!) 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 2 minutes ago
- › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 5 minutes ago
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob