Lars you don't use the Hifiman adapter with the HE-6 to run it from the taps?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 11/29/14 at 7:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I first joined Head-Fi in November of 2014. At the time I owned a couple of pairs of IEM’s, and had just purchased my first DAP (Fiio X3) and over ear headphones (Sennheiser HD598). I really...
So these headphones only came-in for me three days ago. I got them used on Amazon for $240, and have listened to them about 10 hours a day (seriously) since I got them, for a total of over 30...
Before I start this review, I would like to thank Creative for sending out a Roar 2 unit to me. I’m quite surprised myself that prior to this, I had never heard a Creative product before, despite...
The Rockmaster OE (along with its sister product the Rockmaster IE) is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this...
The Rockmaster IE is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this by selecting OEM manufacturers and customizing the...
- Headphone Impedance
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 134
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
No, I just use 10 Ohm resistors in parallel. The HiFiMan adapter box also has resistors in series, which eats some of the power output from the amp - and "we" don't like that with a 12W amp ...
Just edited my earlier post ...
Edited by LarsHP - 10/26/13 at 1:09pm
Did you/can you post a pic of how you do that?
Yeaah, got me there... I did, I never heard about issues with audeze/hifiman except Lars, who might be having supernatural ears
Edited by ardilla - 10/26/13 at 5:32pm
At least there is someone else:
Thanks, I am using the same configuration for now in my 230V CS300XS. Before I had, besides the 10 Ohm resistors in paralell, two 3 Ohm resistors connected in series that eliminated the hum but also reduced the dynamics so I came back to the "dynamic hum" situation :)
I totally understand your feelings as noise has been the main factor that kept me far from tube amps for a few years until I heard the Leben and liked it so much. Still, I did not expect that the Leben would hum with the HE-6s. It was a disappointment for me too that does not prevent me to enjoy the combination a lot but I would love to get rid of that noise as noise is noise and I would like to feel the music as transparent as possible.
In my case I can hear the hum as soon as the Leben is switched on when I am close to the amp. Then, with the HE-6s on, I can hear a very distant hum. The hum is always independent of the pot position.
I tried with cheap dampers in the tubes but the hum did not change at all. I would like to try also the choke option but my DIY abilities are so poor that I am afraid of not using the proper component and kill the amp.
Let's keep trying to find a solution for the sake of all Leben lovers that have hum and do not appreciate it.
I think that there is no easy solution.
I am beginning to think that the answer to some extent depends of two factors that aren't about the headphones you use:
1) How silent or noisy is the place you use the headphones? If you live in a big city like you do (Hong Kong), then the background noise will mask the buzzing/humming som much that you might not hear it. If you live in the countryside - like I do - then you will probably be able to hear humming/buzzing that you wouldn't be able to hear in an apartment in a big city.
2) The electricity from the wall outlet. If there's a lot of electrical noise in that, this may cause the amp to hum/buzz (more). This of course can be fixed partly or fully by using power conditioners etc.
In my case, I can't think of any headphone that will both be so insensitive that you don't hear hum/buzz and at the same time so sensitive that it will reach loud "party" levels or peaks. Well, maybe except HiFiMan HE-5 (or the modded version Code-X) which in sensitivity is between the two headphones that I have: HE-6 and LCD-2. The latter one (91dB/mW) gets loud enough, but I get a low noise. The former (83.5dB/mW) has no noise regardless of volume setting, but doesn't get crazy loud (EDIT: via headphone output) - especially not without distortion in the peaks.
When all this is said, I should add that the hum/buzz/noise I hear is very low, but high enough to annoy me when the room is dead silent.
Thanks Lars for your reply.
I live in a less crowded place in Hong Kong. It's fortunate that I can have some quiet moments in my apartment to enjoy music. Thus the "hum" becomes a real issue for me.
If the "hum" is something to do with the electricity, Oh then I can do little to resolve it.
May take risk and buy D7100 next week. Let's see what happens!
I have not read all the pages in this thread, but what about using power conditioners or regenerators with a good ground connection to filter out noise or the unstable power flow. Get off the noisy grid, with your own powerplant ? Not that I have tried one, but a nice power cable setup had a real positive effect in my system with less noise (not talking transformer hum here, more in general) and more clean sound. So a powerplant could be worth considering for giving the humming Leben some fresh homemade juice without lumps of dirt. Maybe borrow one from a dealer to test out. Just brainstorming here .
Edited by Larryonfire - 10/27/13 at 12:19pm
Also, if the hum is a buzz so to speak - meaning that the noise isn't 50 or 60 Hz respectively, but the double frequency, and then we are talking about noise in the PSU which can be fixed with a choke as earlier stated in this thread.
As I suppose, many of us are sure that this is slight but annoying technological fault of this great amp. It is due to its internal architecture.
I think It may be next geal for Leben Team with version Lebec cs300ST for example ;)
Seriously, I think it's about trying to figure out what is the cause of this noise, and people report different frequencies and conditions with/without the noise.
Also if you go further back in the thread there's more about the wonderful sound/music it makes.
LOL...it does seem that way!
Maybe it time to reconnect with the nicer things about the Leben 'experience'....
Edited by BugleBoy - 10/28/13 at 3:45am
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 2 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official NYC area / Regional Fall meet, November 14th, 2015 -... 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 2 minutes ago
- › Need a good amp for Audeze LCD-3 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Pristine Condition AKG K3003I 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › New Zealand Headphone Meet MK II, 2015 Ed. 5 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 7 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by hakushondaimao
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by goodyfresh
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Encore RockMaster IE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2