Lars you don't use the Hifiman adapter with the HE-6 to run it from the taps?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 11/15/14 at 6:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
As an amateur hi-fi enthusiast I'm certainly no head-fi expert, but that won't stop me from saying that the Shure SRH840 professional monitoring headphones are a sweet sounding set of cans. I...
If you’re in the market for audiophile-grade headphones, you’ve probably heard of Germany’s professional audio electronics manufacturer Beyerdynamic. In the business of handcrafting premium...
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz for providing me a sample of the S0 for review. This is only the second Brainwavz earphone I’ve had the pleasure to audition, the...
Introduction So here's my contribution to the growing collection of reviews on Rock Jaw's Alfa Genus. For those of you interested in purchasing a pair, hopefully this is a useful addition; for...
OK, before I get into my review of the MDR-Z7 I feel a need to give some background and history of my time on head-fi. It might help make sense of my love of this headphone and why at the same...
- Headphone Impedance
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 134
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
No, I just use 10 Ohm resistors in parallel. The HiFiMan adapter box also has resistors in series, which eats some of the power output from the amp - and "we" don't like that with a 12W amp ...
Just edited my earlier post ...
Edited by LarsHP - 10/26/13 at 1:09pm
Did you/can you post a pic of how you do that?
Yeaah, got me there... I did, I never heard about issues with audeze/hifiman except Lars, who might be having supernatural ears
Edited by ardilla - 10/26/13 at 5:32pm
At least there is someone else:
Thanks, I am using the same configuration for now in my 230V CS300XS. Before I had, besides the 10 Ohm resistors in paralell, two 3 Ohm resistors connected in series that eliminated the hum but also reduced the dynamics so I came back to the "dynamic hum" situation :)
I totally understand your feelings as noise has been the main factor that kept me far from tube amps for a few years until I heard the Leben and liked it so much. Still, I did not expect that the Leben would hum with the HE-6s. It was a disappointment for me too that does not prevent me to enjoy the combination a lot but I would love to get rid of that noise as noise is noise and I would like to feel the music as transparent as possible.
In my case I can hear the hum as soon as the Leben is switched on when I am close to the amp. Then, with the HE-6s on, I can hear a very distant hum. The hum is always independent of the pot position.
I tried with cheap dampers in the tubes but the hum did not change at all. I would like to try also the choke option but my DIY abilities are so poor that I am afraid of not using the proper component and kill the amp.
Let's keep trying to find a solution for the sake of all Leben lovers that have hum and do not appreciate it.
I think that there is no easy solution.
I am beginning to think that the answer to some extent depends of two factors that aren't about the headphones you use:
1) How silent or noisy is the place you use the headphones? If you live in a big city like you do (Hong Kong), then the background noise will mask the buzzing/humming som much that you might not hear it. If you live in the countryside - like I do - then you will probably be able to hear humming/buzzing that you wouldn't be able to hear in an apartment in a big city.
2) The electricity from the wall outlet. If there's a lot of electrical noise in that, this may cause the amp to hum/buzz (more). This of course can be fixed partly or fully by using power conditioners etc.
In my case, I can't think of any headphone that will both be so insensitive that you don't hear hum/buzz and at the same time so sensitive that it will reach loud "party" levels or peaks. Well, maybe except HiFiMan HE-5 (or the modded version Code-X) which in sensitivity is between the two headphones that I have: HE-6 and LCD-2. The latter one (91dB/mW) gets loud enough, but I get a low noise. The former (83.5dB/mW) has no noise regardless of volume setting, but doesn't get crazy loud (EDIT: via headphone output) - especially not without distortion in the peaks.
When all this is said, I should add that the hum/buzz/noise I hear is very low, but high enough to annoy me when the room is dead silent.
Thanks Lars for your reply.
I live in a less crowded place in Hong Kong. It's fortunate that I can have some quiet moments in my apartment to enjoy music. Thus the "hum" becomes a real issue for me.
If the "hum" is something to do with the electricity, Oh then I can do little to resolve it.
May take risk and buy D7100 next week. Let's see what happens!
I have not read all the pages in this thread, but what about using power conditioners or regenerators with a good ground connection to filter out noise or the unstable power flow. Get off the noisy grid, with your own powerplant ? Not that I have tried one, but a nice power cable setup had a real positive effect in my system with less noise (not talking transformer hum here, more in general) and more clean sound. So a powerplant could be worth considering for giving the humming Leben some fresh homemade juice without lumps of dirt. Maybe borrow one from a dealer to test out. Just brainstorming here .
Edited by Larryonfire - 10/27/13 at 12:19pm
Also, if the hum is a buzz so to speak - meaning that the noise isn't 50 or 60 Hz respectively, but the double frequency, and then we are talking about noise in the PSU which can be fixed with a choke as earlier stated in this thread.
As I suppose, many of us are sure that this is slight but annoying technological fault of this great amp. It is due to its internal architecture.
I think It may be next geal for Leben Team with version Lebec cs300ST for example ;)
Seriously, I think it's about trying to figure out what is the cause of this noise, and people report different frequencies and conditions with/without the noise.
Also if you go further back in the thread there's more about the wonderful sound/music it makes.
LOL...it does seem that way!
Maybe it time to reconnect with the nicer things about the Leben 'experience'....
Edited by BugleBoy - 10/28/13 at 3:45am
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 48 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 55 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Buy 2 units of Apple iPhone 6 128 GB --@ $1,000 USD and get 1 unit... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by twister6
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Advices for catching the right home loan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3