Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Leben CS300XS Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 117

post #1741 of 2089
We just need Glenn to put together a short video.
post #1742 of 2089

And what video would that be

Basic soldering

or

Amplifier repair 101

post #1743 of 2089
Both!
post #1744 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Both!


Sign me up. I would like to attend the live sessions. I'll take both of your classes for sure. Will you serve cookies during class breaks? biggrin.gif

post #1745 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugleBoy View Post

 

 

But the same set of tubes that used to hum before is not humming anymore. How can that be? I have swapped 3 set of tubes just to check...and they are all dead quite now. I have never known Leben to be this quite.

 

Do I understand you correctly that you have tried several sets of tubes that you previously have used while the Leben had tis hum - and that using the exact same tubes now doesn't give  hum?

 

This impliesthat the tubes weren't the origin of the hum. 

 

So the only thing that you have changed is that resistor? Are you using the same AC power etc. - same location - all conditions identical except the resistor change?

 

May that resistor change be responsible for the hum-level-reduction?

post #1746 of 2089

^ I guess that cheap resistor is the weakest link. It is hard to imagine that not every component that is used to build a Leben is of good or excellent quality considering the premium they charge. If I could flip over my extremely heavy CS600 to photograph I would and send it to Glenn for his assessment on the components. My CS600 doesn't hum but I was just curious.

post #1747 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post

^ I guess that cheap resistor is the weakest link. It is hard to imagine that not every component that is used to build a Leben is of good or excellent quality considering the premium they charge. If I could flip over my extremely heavy CS600 to photograph I would and send it to Glenn for his assessment on the components. My CS600 doesn't hum but I was just curious.

 

So - if I swap that resitor in my Leben - it might reduce the hum? Does that make any sense?

post #1748 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post
So - if I swap that resitor in my Leben - it might reduce the hum? Does that make any sense?

I couldn't say. That is to say if the resistor is the same cheap one. Leben has been inconsistent in the parts it uses. Maybe yours has a better resistor. Who knows. I'd consult Glenn with photos.

post #1749 of 2089

I don't think that resistor by itself caused the hum.

It could have been done earlier with a bad tube and damaged the resistor changing it's resistance.

I don't know how hot this resistor gets maybe it should be a higher wattage so it don't cook itself to death.

What would be good is if some other people took pictures of this resistor and  I could see if they are cooking.

post #1750 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

 

Do I understand you correctly that you have tried several sets of tubes that you previously have used while the Leben had tis hum - and that using the exact same tubes now doesn't give  hum?

 

This impliesthat the tubes weren't the origin of the hum. 

 

So the only thing that you have changed is that resistor? Are you using the same AC power etc. - same location - all conditions identical except the resistor change?

 

May that resistor change be responsible for the hum-level-reduction?

 

That is right...the same set of tubes that were humming before are dead quite now.

post #1751 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugleBoy View Post
That is right...the same set of tubes that were humming before are dead quite now.

 

That is quite a revelation. And very good to know.

post #1752 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugleBoy View Post

 

That is right...the same set of tubes that were humming before are dead quite now.

 

And what specific resistor did you get? Do you have a link? It seems like a magic piece :D

post #1753 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post

^ I guess that cheap resistor is the weakest link. It is hard to imagine that not every component that is used to build a Leben is of good or excellent quality considering the premium they charge. If I could flip over my extremely heavy CS600 to photograph I would and send it to Glenn for his assessment on the components. My CS600 doesn't hum but I was just curious.

 

Just FYI...the 1K resistor replaced cost me just 40 cents. These are wire-wound resistors.

 

Is it possible that wire-wound resistors can change their resistance over time...through use / misuse / abuse etc?

post #1754 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

 

And what specific resistor did you get? Do you have a link? It seems like a magic piece :D

 

I got the resistor from Jaycar electronics. It cost me 40 cents a piece. they are just the generic types...nothing special.

 

the link is here: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR3298

post #1755 of 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugleBoy View Post

 

I got the resistor from Jaycar electronics. It cost me 40 cents a piece. they are just the generic types...nothing special.

 

the link is here: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR3298


It is a special resistor. Could you imagine what the cost would have been had you shipped it back to your distributor for > repairs > wait > wait > wait > $$$ > shipping charges back to you. You saved a bundle for just spending 40 cents and the soldering/electronics know-how. Excellent teamwork on yours and Glenn's part. Teamwork!


Edited by Clayton SF - 5/12/13 at 5:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Leben CS300XS Thread