- 1,228 Posts. Joined 1/2007
- Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Leben 300 or 300xs - pls share your experience Last post on 1/19/11 at 8:32pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Integrated Amplifiers and Preamplifier with Good, Great or Excellent Headphones Output -... Last post on 10/2/14 at 2:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Leben CS300(XS) vs Woo Audio WA22 Last post on 4/2/11 at 3:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Tung-Sol 7236. UP FOR GRABS? Worth the BUY? WA3+ Owner. Last post on 2/26/14 at 2:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Hum and other problems with "NOS" power tubes? Last post on 1/24/11 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
- Headphone Impedance
The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 84
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
12AT7 and 12AU7 seem to work just fine. Less gain as expected. I haven't determined anything different that couldn't be attributed to the lower gain or specific tube characteristics yet.
I tried 12AT7 Telefunken's (ECC801S) and there wasn't really that much less gain. It seemed like I could get one more click higher? Like 20 click versus 19 before the drivers start to grumble.
Currently plopped 12AU7 Tele smooth plates in, certainly a difference in gain. In the ballpark of 30 clicks before driver starts to complain. The 3dB bass boost doesn't seem to cross the "too much" line with these 12AU7's.
It seems like things start getting congested at the upper volume. Note that this is louder than I'd ever listen anyway. At normal volume levels it seems about the same as far as life, juice, special sauce - just able to turn the volume dial up higher. I haven't really spent enough time with the amp to qualify more minute differences. Hard for me to say whats "better" at this point. My gut instinct is that it is better with the 12AX7's, but my initial impressions are that the Leben CS-300XS works just fine with the lower gain tubes and I suspect that people could find some more magic tube combos with some experimentation.
What's nice for me now is that I have many more options on hand and don't need to dish out more cash right now just to play around. (my wallet is rather thin for the foreseeable future!!)
It'd be cool if some of the other owners gave it a shot and let me know their results.
I've just joined the CS300X club and this thread is tempting me to start rollin' them tubes. I can get hold of Mazda, Tungsram, CIFTE, RadioTechnique 12AU7s, and Tungsol 5751s. Any recommendations out of this selection and any opinion on RFT EL84s?
It is not mine. I just remember reading an article about someone's custom Leben and thought that I'd pass it along.
I believe that V-caps do make a big difference. But to appreciate its impact it is of personal taste. I have a Woo Audio 4 with V-caps and the sound is heavy compared to a WA4 without V-caps. The V-caps place the sound signature in the thick-sounding arena which can be tamed with bright headphones like the Beyer DT990 600 ohm.
I have modified my Leben CS300. It happened after the amp was damaged in a tube-rolling accident and an resistor blew up. This can seem dramatic but in this case the damage was benign and easy to repair. I brought the amp to a very experienced tube technician and also accepted his recommendation to change the coupling capacitors, with a restore guarantee without cost.
At the same time, I showed him some upgrades from the Polish magazine and the upgrade capacitors in the CS300XS (compared to CS300). There are a few capacitors that are different and he said that the capacitors in the XS are better but that the importance for sound quality was marginal or maybe not audible. This is very much in accordance with Skylab's impressions from listening. He said that the component in the amp are not expensive but of good quality and build quality is very good.
I think that the improvement of the upgraded coupling capacitors is substantial. The upgrade capacitors are Duelund capacitors made in Denmark. Duelund capacitors have a good reputation as high-end components. They are unfortunately expensive and four are needed. You can see them on the picture. I have placed one of the original capacitors above the third Duelund resistor from the left in the picture for comparison. They are much bigger but are not of different capacitance value.
It is difficult to evaluate the change in sound in such modifications. The upgrade took some time and the new capacitors have to burn-in. I have not had any possibility of an A-B comparison to an unmodified Leben but I am convinced that sound became smoother with better dynamics and improved bass impact. The difference is substantial.
- The Leben CS300XS Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › looking for great headphones for mostly movies 7 seconds ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › Is there any neutral closed cans with good punchy bass? 2 minutes ago
- › Need help HD 201 vs samson sr850 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 3 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)