Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Leben CS300XS Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Leben CS300XS Thread - Page 80

post #1186 of 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwisdom View Post

Thanks that makes a lot of sense.
But shouldn't that be the same rule for any amp, Leben included ? How to explain the Leben driving the HD800 easily (10 on the volume max) and struggling with the LCD3 ?

 

Different amplifier topologies will interact differently with headphones of different impedances. But in the case of the Leben, I cannot explain what you are experiencing, because my Leben does not behave the way yours does...mine has no issue at all driving either headphone.

post #1187 of 2118

I Guess guys might have different tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwisdom View Post

Thanks that makes a lot of sense.
But shouldn't that be the same rule for any amp, Leben included ? How to explain the Leben driving the HD800 easily (10 on the volume max) and struggling with the LCD3 ?

 

Different amplifier topologies will interact differently with headphones of different impedances. But in the case of the Leben, I cannot explain what you are experiencing, because my Leben does not behave the way yours does...mine has no issue at all driving either headphone.

 

Different amplifier topologies will interact differently with headphones of different impedances. But in the case of the Leben, I cannot explain what you are experiencing, because my Leben does not behave the way yours does...mine has no issue at all driving either headphone.

post #1188 of 2118

Well, I have joined the Leben CS-300XS club after several years of just lusting after one. The amp I bought also came with a full complement of Mullard NOS tubes, so it will hopefully be pretty close to the original 300X. I love the look and feel of the amp before I even turn it on!

 

To date, I am loving the sound of the amp driving my D7000s. I haven't been quite as happy with my T1s. The T1s were sensational on my Decware CSP-2+. Are they not as good a match for the 300XS? Should I consider swapping them over for a pair of HD800s or some LCD2s or 3s? Or do I just need to wait a little while to get used to the signature and see if it grows on me.?

post #1189 of 2118
The Leben is better with lower impedance headphones than higher ones. The output is optimized for 32 ohms. I also liked it with the D7000. I think that's a good match.
post #1190 of 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1111 View Post
To date, I am loving the sound of the amp driving my D7000s. I haven't been quite as happy with my T1s. The T1s were sensational on my Decware CSP-2+. Are they not as good a match for the 300XS? Should I consider swapping them over for a pair of HD800s or some LCD2s or 3s? Or do I just need to wait a little while to get used to the signature and see if it grows on me.?


The HD800s suit the CS300XS better than the T1s but it's up to your taste whether you care more for the Leben's or the T1s' sound. :) 

post #1191 of 2118
Try the ohm button at the back. I experienced distortion with the LCD2. I used the Leben with my previous speakers at 4 ohm and distortion happened. Once I turned back to 8 ohm when listening to the LCD2, the distortion went away completely.
post #1192 of 2118

Hi

 

How is it about amplifier/transformator humming on Leben CS300?

 

Is there any humming noise through the headphones - anybody tested with earbuds or something really sensitive? Especially grateful for 230V users, :)

post #1193 of 2118

I own a 300XS with 230-240 volt, 50 cycle AC and mine hummms through my speakers too. My speakers are very efficient open baffle jobs with the signal going through a crossover, then the bass through another mosfet amp to drive a pair of bass speakers so I thought that I had been amplifying the 50 cycle transformer hum. Do you hear a hum through headphones?

post #1194 of 2118
I do not get a hum on my 120V CS300, but I did have a slight hum when I used a 100V Japan model through a step-down transformer.
post #1195 of 2118

Hello skylab,

 

Was that hum from speakers or headphones? If speakers, what was their sensitivity?
 

post #1196 of 2118

Headphones only.

post #1197 of 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Hi

 

How is it about amplifier/transformator humming on Leben CS300?

 

Is there any humming noise through the headphones - anybody tested with earbuds or something really sensitive? Especially grateful for 230V users, :)

I am just wondering how you are thinking. Why use a 15 W amplifier for earbuds?

post #1198 of 2118

It's not my plan to use the Leben for earbuds, but you won't believe how good the Yuin PK1 sounds thorugh the Woo WA2  ;)

 

I'm thinking- the easiest way to check for hum is to use something with very high sensitivity. Many large amps work with earbuds. But I have experienced humming with others. I asked for earbuds because most people has got a set. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

I am just wondering how you are thinking. Why use a 15 W amplifier for earbuds?

post #1199 of 2118

I have the 100v version of the CS300xs and I am using it with the a converter to US 120 volts.

 

I can hear the hum on my headphones only when there is no music playing and the hum is so minor that it doesn't bother me at all.

 

I wouldn't let the hum stop you from considering getting one.

post #1200 of 2118

A small amount of hum is very often the case with high-efficiency headphones used on tube amps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Leben CS300XS Thread