Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 7/28/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )tagged by System, 3/31/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 3/14/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/28/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/28/10
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Basshead dockworker here! DT770 vs Bose Triport for indie and industrial, and other stuff Last post on 2/21/12 at 9:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M-50 earpads? Last post on 6/26/11 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- My search for closed back, deep earcup, comfortable, audiophile sound... Last post on 4/8/15 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- First post, need a good recommendation on full size 'phones for ~$150 Last post on 10/10/10 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about studio monitoring/mixing Last post on 2/1/11 at 12:39am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an unprecedented...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50? - Page 9post #121 of 4297/27/10 at 11:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 4297/27/10 at 11:58am
Since this thread has popped up again I'll add that electrical tape to the undersides of the DT250 pads is definitely the way to go, I covered three of each set of bass vents (2 sets on each phone) with electrical tape too.
No screen at all is best but if like me your ears touch the plastic and chafe, a layer of tight material (pantyhose material) rather than any foam is better as it is much more transparent.post #123 of 4298/11/10 at 3:11pm
Well, I know this thread is a week or two old, but I just ordered the DT250 velour pads and I'm going to drop them in when they come in a few days. I think the only sound tweaking I'll be doing is covering the porous backing of the ear pad in electrical tape.
I have to say, the sound by itself is pretty darn good stock though. Its maybe a little weighted on the bass, but I don't really mind it. For the price, its hard to beat the sound. I hate the stock earpads though. When they were new, they were soft and comfy - now they're just painful. Not even close to being comfortable. I really hope the velour improves this.post #124 of 4298/12/10 at 8:58ampost #125 of 4298/12/10 at 10:51ampost #126 of 4298/12/10 at 3:08pm
Yup, and just remember to tape up the holes in the back of the pads before you put them on. Since the M50 is a closed can and the DT250 is open or partially open (I forgot), you need to close those holes so you won't get sound leakage.post #127 of 4298/12/10 at 9:48pmpost #128 of 4298/13/10 at 11:51am
I did hear people mention a change in signature due to the velour in the 250 and the different density in the center material. I like the idea of the 840 pads because the only real change in SQ would be the larger space. The rest is purely comfort and quality.post #129 of 4298/13/10 at 12:00pmpost #130 of 4298/17/10 at 10:18amQuote:
I'm not sure I agree. I taped up my DT250 pads and put them on my M50's yesterday, and I have to say it still sounded boomier. I think I might pull off the pads again and cover up two of the portings on each driver later today to tone it down a bit. They are definitely more comfortable though. The only reason I might keep the bass the way it is would be the fact that I have a pair of AD700's arriving tomorrow and if the bass is as bad as people grieve about constantly, I will want a punchy set to keep around for when I'm in that kind of mood. If I tone down the bass too much on the M50's and make them more balanced, I won't really have a good "bass-head" (if it can really be called that) setup anymore.post #131 of 4298/29/10 at 5:31pm
I cannot believe it worked. I had a pair of Beyerdynamic Velour Pads for DT250 being used on my Sony MDR-V6 but I bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and after several days of sweaty ears I could not take it anymore and tried the Velour pads and as soon as I put them on to listen to it I switched back to the stock pads because the sound was so muddy I could not stand it. It was worse than my V6's.
I go searching and find this thread and today I went out and bought Vinyl and Masking tape and put it on the headphones and pads (I covered the end and middle holes on the headphones). I screw back on the grills (I did this for the V6's so that the grills will stay in place and make it harder for anything to get under them and you can do the same for the M50's) and put the pads on and damn I could not believe I was using the same pads. They actually sound a little better than with the stock pads did before.
Huge thumbs up for this thread for solving a very annoying issue for me. I may try the DT770 pads but mod them to fit somehow. They look a lot better than the black ones and I rather have the DT250 for my V6s since the stock pads on that are horrible.post #132 of 4298/29/10 at 7:39pmpost #133 of 4298/29/10 at 7:52pm
I did not pay attention to the sound leak when I originally put them on but after the mod I think they leak a bit more than with the stock pads but it does all depend on how loud you are listening. I know I can turn them up really loud and they can easily be heard from 6ft away but I would probably deaf it a matter of minutes. They do however leak less than when they were on my V6's so I do not know if it was the mod or headphones.post #134 of 4298/30/10 at 1:05ampost #135 of 4298/30/10 at 12:35pm
Sounds like there are a bunch of negatives that come along with the velours.
I'll try them out when they arrive. Now I wonder what genuine leather pads
do to these headphones.
BTW does taping the back of the pads do something to the sound other than
reducing a bit of leakage?
- Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 31 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 4 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 4 minutes ago
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...