Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado vs. Sennheiser
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado vs. Sennheiser

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
I am looking to get a HD650 but I would like to know what Grado can would be comparable in quality and price? I have both an SR60 and HD580. I enjoy both but the HD580 outperforms the SR60 and I would like to get a taste of the higher grado line. Im guessing in the RS1/2 are in the HD650 range, maybe the 325. Let me know.
post #2 of 50
IMHO, while the low end Grados are incredible value/money, the high end Grados (RS1/RS2) are rather poor value for money in comparison to its peers, heck in comparison to the lower end Grados too. You might want to pick up the SR225 which is a nice upgrade from the SR60. In any case with the HD580 there's really no point in getting the HD650, you are moving sidewards. You should get a new amp first, you can do much better than the Corda Move2.
post #3 of 50
Get a used rs-1/2. The sr series doesn't compare to the senns in level of detail and the such.
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin47 View Post
Get a used rs-1/2. The sr series doesn't compare to the senns in level of detail and the such.
On the contrary, I'm listening to an SR225i and I find that it presents mids and highs details quite well.
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin47 View Post
Get a used rs-1/2. The sr series doesn't compare to the senns in level of detail and the such.
That's funny because I thought the SR325i and the SR225 were better then the RS2's at least they were to my ears. I cannot comment on the RS1's because I have never heard them. Not to mention, I thought the 325i's destroyed the HD580's on detail and such.

Its funny how two people can have completely opposite opinions on the same headphones
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post
I am looking to get a HD650 but I would like to know what Grado can would be comparable in quality and price? I have both an SR60 and HD580. I enjoy both but the HD580 outperforms the SR60 and I would like to get a taste of the higher grado line. Im guessing in the RS1/2 are in the HD650 range, maybe the 325. Let me know.
From what I understand, you might benefit from ordering some of the HD600 grills for your HD580s. Just something to consider.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
On the contrary, I'm listening to an SR225i and I find that it presents mids and highs details quite well.
I agree with this - the 225 easily has as much or more detail than the Senns.

The RS-1/GS-1000 would compete with the HD650
post #8 of 50
I would probably either upgrade the amp or get a DAC. I built a gamma 1 more for fun than anything and was pleasantly surprised at the benefit in SQ.
post #9 of 50
I have a pair of 225's and recently got a pair of senn hd-650's. I have barely listened to the grado's since. The senn's have better bass, a more neutral presentation, are less peaky and more comfortable to boot. The also help mask noisy tubes better in my SOHA II. I don't feel any reason to upgrade my phones at all. One day I will get a better source and I may try more amps, but these phones seem to be "the one's".
post #10 of 50
These two are like Yin and Yang. Surprisingly, I thought metal and rock through the HD-650s sounded fine.
post #11 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggranak View Post
From what I understand, you might benefit from ordering some of the HD600 grills for your HD580s. Just something to consider.
Why even a grill at all? I sometimes take the grills off, im not sure if it adds or takes anything away from the sound.
post #12 of 50
For me the HD650 and RS-1 are totally different in terms of SQ. Either one will be a good upgrade for you. Buy a preowned one I personally skipped the SR-225 after comparing it with the RS-1 as I thought I'd just want to upgrade if I got the SR-225. Just my opinion YMMV
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by insyte View Post
For me the HD650 and RS-1 are totally different in terms of SQ. Either one will be a good upgrade for you. Buy a preowned one I personally skipped the SR-225 after comparing it with the RS-1 as I thought I'd just want to upgrade if I got the SR-225. Just my opinion YMMV
Same here. I knew I would just want to upgrade later.
post #14 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scytheavatar View Post
IMHO, while the low end Grados are incredible value/money, the high end Grados (RS1/RS2) are rather poor value for money in comparison to its peers, heck in comparison to the lower end Grados too. You might want to pick up the SR225 which is a nice upgrade from the SR60. In any case with the HD580 there's really no point in getting the HD650, you are moving sidewards. You should get a new amp first, you can do much better than the Corda Move2.
Im looking into a LD MKIII for an amp. Its interesting that you consider the HD650 more of a sideways move than a step up from the HD580.
post #15 of 50
Thread Starter 
I found an interesting post in another thread.

"The Grado RS-1 was interesting to my ears...it felt more like a Sennheiser than a Grado with its laid-back kind of style."

any comments?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado vs. Sennheiser