- 430 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Boston
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- New Grados or something else? $1000 budget (new or used) Last post on 1/5/15 at 1:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!) Last post on 4/4/16 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- SUPER RARE, NEVER SEEN BEFORE, VINTAGE RS1s !!!! LOTS OF PICTURES!!! Last post on 9/17/12 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another Grado (Flat) pad mod, with instructions, pics and listening impressions Last post on 8/23/12 at 9:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
overall great headphone at its price.
Disclaimer: The Meze 99 Classics were send to me as part of their European Tour. Impression are based on around a week of intensive usage. Preamble: First of all, welcome to another review here...
It's Zmall, it's Zpacious, it's ZuperDAC, from Zorloo - The Review Website: zorloo.com Product details and Specs: LINK MSRP: $74 To read more about the original project, you may...
Are Grado 'phones more susceptible than others to volume damage to drivers? - Page 2
I bet you will enjoy it much more.
Oh, and do not read this forums too much, you might want to buy the rs1, gs100 or ps1000 soon...
Can anyone report similar findings?
And does this mean that one should try not to listen to bass-heavy music on Grado headphones because they will be damaged by it?
No they arent. Not to mention they are high quality, but they also output relatively low amounts of bass compared to the rest of the spectrum so the driver will move less per average loudness across the spectrum and are typically listenned to at lower bass volumes (main cause of driver movement/blowout). Thanks for playing.
still, thats a pretty extreme usage scenario
honestly, stop reading a bunch of hysteria, and accept that they aren't gonna break
Honestly, Grattle we speak about is never caused by blasting volume, its caused by hair that has made its way to driver and rattles against it. And this is quite common with Grados because the drivers are so close to your head. Gently putting your mouth against the grill and sucking carefully fixes it until it happens again, end of the story.
But, would an iPod be considered 'underamplified' relative to Grado headphones in this scenario? I know Grado's have high sensitivity and low impedance, but would the iPod still underamplify them?
If the sound starts to distort on high levels, the amplifier is running out of juice and starts to clip.
As obobskivich pointed out, from what I understand continuous DC current can melt a voice coil and cause a short. I think this is more common than indicated. Loud volumes would not generate DC current- rather it could be a problem with an amplifer.
I've read numerous reports of the 'grattle' (Grado rattle) that happens when Grado cans have one (or both) of the membranes of their drivers creased and wrinkled in places - causing rattling on low bass notes and channel imbalance. Does this creasing and wrinkling occur only when the cans are blasted at monstrous levels, or does it happen even at just higher-than-average listening volumes?
How loud do you have to drive your cans in order to actually damage them, and is it likely that anyone with normal hearing would listen at that level normally without knowing he/she was damaging their headphones?
My AD900s, yeah blast the crap out of it, sweet sweet sound still. My HD650s are arriving this weekend, Yay! I expect the same level of quality, high above Grado.
Do you think that sort of volume would cause an iPod driving low impedance, high sensitivity 'phones like Grado's to clip, and cause the Grado's to develop crinkles on their driver membranes?
Hi, I'm new and here's my experience. I have an SR 80i and a cosmetically modded but still largely stock SR 225i. I use a Fiio E3 and a Fiio E5 straight out of my Nokia and HTC. I have played these two headphones loud using the E3 without any problems for months. Loud means maxed out volume-wise and EQ-wise with bass boost on my players. When I started using the E5, everything was much better for a short while and I started using the E5 with bass boost at max exclusively because the output was so much better.
I noticed that the right driver would in both phones would have more bass/distortion than the left one. On hot days, the right drivers started to go dead. Now both right side drivers have some distortion after about 15 minutes of playing and then they go dead. Sometimes they come back on. Now they go dead even at low volumes or unamped. It isn't the grattle I've read about. My players aren't powerful but the E5 is twice the power of an E3. It isn't the cables because I recabled the 225 recently.
Could my E5 have damaged my headphones?
- Are Grado 'phones more susceptible than others to volume damage to drivers?
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... just now
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 43 seconds ago
- › Senfer UE / Senfer UEs 48 seconds ago
- › AKG's new K872? 59 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT990 + Portable Music Player 1 minute ago
- › NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 4 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by twister6
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Decommo
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › iFi iPurifier 2 by knorris908
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse