- 430 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Boston
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- New Grados or something else? $1000 budget (new or used) Last post on 1/5/15 at 1:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Great Grado Experiment (4 tonewoods tested, more to come!) Last post on 4/4/16 at 10:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- SUPER RARE, NEVER SEEN BEFORE, VINTAGE RS1s !!!! LOTS OF PICTURES!!! Last post on 9/17/12 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another Grado (Flat) pad mod, with instructions, pics and listening impressions Last post on 8/23/12 at 9:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Question For All "GradoHolics" Last post on 7/20/12 at 7:02am in Headphones (full-size)
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Are Grado 'phones more susceptible than others to volume damage to drivers? - Page 2
I bet you will enjoy it much more.
Oh, and do not read this forums too much, you might want to buy the rs1, gs100 or ps1000 soon...
Can anyone report similar findings?
And does this mean that one should try not to listen to bass-heavy music on Grado headphones because they will be damaged by it?
No they arent. Not to mention they are high quality, but they also output relatively low amounts of bass compared to the rest of the spectrum so the driver will move less per average loudness across the spectrum and are typically listenned to at lower bass volumes (main cause of driver movement/blowout). Thanks for playing.
still, thats a pretty extreme usage scenario
honestly, stop reading a bunch of hysteria, and accept that they aren't gonna break
Honestly, Grattle we speak about is never caused by blasting volume, its caused by hair that has made its way to driver and rattles against it. And this is quite common with Grados because the drivers are so close to your head. Gently putting your mouth against the grill and sucking carefully fixes it until it happens again, end of the story.
But, would an iPod be considered 'underamplified' relative to Grado headphones in this scenario? I know Grado's have high sensitivity and low impedance, but would the iPod still underamplify them?
If the sound starts to distort on high levels, the amplifier is running out of juice and starts to clip.
As obobskivich pointed out, from what I understand continuous DC current can melt a voice coil and cause a short. I think this is more common than indicated. Loud volumes would not generate DC current- rather it could be a problem with an amplifer.
I've read numerous reports of the 'grattle' (Grado rattle) that happens when Grado cans have one (or both) of the membranes of their drivers creased and wrinkled in places - causing rattling on low bass notes and channel imbalance. Does this creasing and wrinkling occur only when the cans are blasted at monstrous levels, or does it happen even at just higher-than-average listening volumes?
How loud do you have to drive your cans in order to actually damage them, and is it likely that anyone with normal hearing would listen at that level normally without knowing he/she was damaging their headphones?
My AD900s, yeah blast the crap out of it, sweet sweet sound still. My HD650s are arriving this weekend, Yay! I expect the same level of quality, high above Grado.
Do you think that sort of volume would cause an iPod driving low impedance, high sensitivity 'phones like Grado's to clip, and cause the Grado's to develop crinkles on their driver membranes?
Hi, I'm new and here's my experience. I have an SR 80i and a cosmetically modded but still largely stock SR 225i. I use a Fiio E3 and a Fiio E5 straight out of my Nokia and HTC. I have played these two headphones loud using the E3 without any problems for months. Loud means maxed out volume-wise and EQ-wise with bass boost on my players. When I started using the E5, everything was much better for a short while and I started using the E5 with bass boost at max exclusively because the output was so much better.
I noticed that the right driver would in both phones would have more bass/distortion than the left one. On hot days, the right drivers started to go dead. Now both right side drivers have some distortion after about 15 minutes of playing and then they go dead. Sometimes they come back on. Now they go dead even at low volumes or unamped. It isn't the grattle I've read about. My players aren't powerful but the E5 is twice the power of an E3. It isn't the cables because I recabled the 225 recently.
Could my E5 have damaged my headphones?
- Are Grado 'phones more susceptible than others to volume damage to drivers?
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 7 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 8 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 10 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 10 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 10 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 11 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 12 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...