Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Safe volume test?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Safe volume test?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
For completely open headphones like the HD600 at least, are there some tests that you can do yourself without any specialized equipment to determine if you are listening below 80db?

Like if you take your headphones off, and can only hear very very faint sounds coming out of it when you are holding it 1 hand span away from your head.

Or that you can hear conversation around you, or the TV that's playing in the room?
post #2 of 10
Tap with the fingers on the board/desk/keyboard in front of you.
Not sure about 80db, cause it will vary depending on the 'phone, but if you can hear the tapping its a 'safe' listening volume
post #3 of 10
I tap as well. (lol?)
Just clap your hands of use your fingers. If you have a hard time hearing the sound turn the volume down.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
but if you can hear the tapping its a 'safe' listening volume
I don't know about you, but when I tap my fingers on the desk, my fingers smash the desk. Just how loud is a finger tap? How much newtons of force to apply to a finger tap?
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
Tap with the fingers on the board/desk/keyboard in front of you.
Not sure about 80db, cause it will vary depending on the 'phone, but if you can hear the tapping its a 'safe' listening volume
Is that hearing it all the time, or most of the time? Because most music have peaks of loudness somewhere during the track.

I can hear the typing on the keyboard much more clearly than tapping on wood, the wood seems to have an absorbing factor, where you hear a damp "thud" instead of a sharp "click" when you type on the keyboard.
post #6 of 10
^ Between the peaks I would say.
Just a small guideline though. It works for me, but that does not say its the ideal volume for all people and all 'phones.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
^ Between the peaks I would say.
Just a small guideline though. It works for me, but that does not say its the ideal volume for all people and all 'phones.
Great, I'm not listening too loud then.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goit View Post
Great, I'm not listening too loud then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
^ Between the peaks I would say.
Just a small guideline though. It works for me, but that does not say its the ideal volume for all people and all 'phones.
Re-read. It is only a very small indicator. I use the same but if your headphone is closed you won't hear you clapping at all. It all depends on the headphone and yourself.
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatN View Post
Re-read. It is only a very small indicator. I use the same but if your headphone is closed you won't hear you clapping at all. It all depends on the headphone and yourself.
I said open headphones like the HD600. Since I hear it, I don't have to worry about anything, I only need to second guess if I don't hear the tapping whether the headphone is closed etc...
post #10 of 10
Yeah, I am quite sure you're within a "safe" listening volume.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Safe volume test?