Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun? - Page 21

post #301 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Buff View Post
In the Silmic IIs, 25V 470s are much bigger than the 1000 RJJs. To my ears, the 16V Silmic II 470s sound awesome and I'm sure that nerd1949's 470 KZs (IIRC) sound much better than the RJJs, too.

Make sure that whatever you decide to put in there will actually fit before you buy them.
I guess Nichicon KZs are out of the question than since they start at 16mm wide in 25V 470uf. I would have to use 330uf (12.5mm x 25mm) in order to physically fit. They don't make KZs in 16V. Too bad, mouser.com does not sell Silmic IIs in 470uf.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #302 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
again, anyone know how I can reduce the gain of the amp?

Designing Common-Cathode Amplifiers

If you look through this link you will see that the plate resistor is largely responsible for setting the gain on this type of amp. I'm not an amp designer so I can't say what collateral damage you might do by just messing around with different plate resistors. But if you think you need to lower the plate resistance you can put a resistor in parallel with it without any soldering I would think. Pay attention to the current, wouldn't want to go real low on resistance.
post #303 of 355

Indeed - Not Recommended Rating

The first power supply that I got was bad - super noisy. The replacement from Indeed showed up. Guess what - it is also noisy and unusable. The Indeed amp works with a power supply from a similar Bravo headphone amplifier. I have to give a thumbs down -not recommended rating on the Indeed amp based on the inability to get it to work with either the original or a replacement power supply.
post #304 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL593H View Post
The first power supply that I got was bad - super noisy. The replacement from Indeed showed up. Guess what - it is also noisy and unusable. The Indeed amp works with a power supply from a similar Bravo headphone amplifier. I have to give a thumbs down -not recommended rating on the Indeed amp based on the inability to get it to work with either the original or a replacement power supply.
Ouch! QC seems to be an issue with both of these amps' power supplies in general. I hate that you have had this issue, especially as I complemented my Indeed in the Bravo thread because my PS is so quiet. It's been really good. Since I put this huge filter cap on it, I can barely even hear any hum as the tubes warm up and they are completely silent afterward, even on those that were prone to hum before.

I posted these thumbnails of my mods in the Bravo thread and I wanted to share them here also. That 10KuF KW cap is a monster, but it has done beautiful stuff to the soundstage. I'd put at least a 6800uF in it, if you decide to mod. The difference is palpable in the purity and expansiveness of the sound. As good as it sounded pre-mods, it sounds even better now.
LL
LL
LL
post #305 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Buff View Post
Ouch! QC seems to be an issue with both of these amps' power supplies in general. I hate that you have had this issue, especially as I complemented my Indeed in the Bravo thread because my PS is so quiet. It's been really good. Since I put this huge filter cap on it, I can barely even hear any hum as the tubes warm up and they are completely silent afterward, even on those that were prone to hum before.

I posted these thumbnails of my mods in the Bravo thread and I wanted to share them here also. That 10KuF KW cap is a monster, but it has done beautiful stuff to the soundstage. I'd put at least a 6800uF in it, if you decide to mod. The difference is palpable in the purity and expansiveness of the sound. As good as it sounded pre-mods, it sounds even better now.
Nice pics looks good. The Bravo that I'm listening to has 10,800 uF capacitance in the p supply. Also has a pretty big choke in the PS.
post #306 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL593H View Post
Nice pics looks good. The Bravo that I'm listening to has 10,800 uF capacitance in the p supply. Also has a pretty big choke in the PS.
Can you throw a thumbnail up of how they are implemented?
post #307 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Buff View Post
Can you throw a thumbnail up of how they are implemented?
I didn't modify the Bravo, just using a power supply with 4 1K filter capacitors. That plus the one on the Bravo is 10.8K.
post #308 of 355

adjusting voltage on new tubes - procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Buff View Post
Replaced the pots with these. These are very easy to adjust precisely and they install very easy, too. Much better than the stock trim pots.

If you roll tubes, these are the $#!+ for ease of adjusting the voltage on the new tube. And if you are not rolling tubes, you don't know what you are missing.
I have put a 1970 Mullard in my Indeed. Great tube!
Could you please indicate how to tweek the voltages (where to measure and so on), and what is the necessity and effect of so doing. Many thanks.
post #309 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrB View Post
I have put a 1970 Mullard in my Indeed. Great tube!
Could you please indicate how to tweek the voltages (where to measure and so on), and what is the necessity and effect of so doing. Many thanks.
These days I just do it by ear for each tube I roll into the amp. CPL593H has the 411 on using a multimeter to adjust it in the Bravo amp thread on page 27.

Basically, you want to adjust the tube bias to balance the voltage/current between the 2 triodes on the tube because this will provide the best sounding audio. Each triode controls a channel (L or R). If they are balanced, the music is presented as recorded for each channel.

If this over-simplified explanation is fundamentally flawed, I'm sure that someone will correct it for you, while pointing out every freakin' error I've made...

BTW, try to pick up an Amperex Holland A frame for a contrast tube to roll. I have a Mullard A frame that I love and a number of Amperex and Siemens that are just awesome. Every tube has a personality of its own and you can maximize the characteristics of each tube with the bias pots. Enjoy!
post #310 of 355
Any experience or impressions on how well this drives the K701 versus the Little Dot I+ or Millett Starving Student?
post #311 of 355
Out of all the headphones I have tried with my Indeed Hybrid, I think my K701s had the best synergy with it.
post #312 of 355

Short Review

After a month of listening after burn-in process, changing tube to Amperex Holland, capacitors from stock ->Muse ES470uf->SanyoWG1000uf I must say, quality considerably changed from cheap chinese amp to budget "mid-fi" amp. I think Muse ES and Sanyo WG had the same sound, Muse need 8 hour burn-in to hear the quality of it.

Pros:
cost(hmm, maybe not after all those improvements)
can drive 250ohms very well
no distortion, whatsoever
warm signature
Cons:
warm signature, I want live analytical sound, so not my taste
highs miss that sparkle, although Tube change improved it, Cmoy BB is far more analytical

All in all, my CmoyBB has for me better SQ, I like to hear all little things in music, my Cmoy has low-end opamp, so it distorts with high volumes, there the tube amp shines.

Indeed is nice little amp, not so bad for the price, great for fun, but op-amp circuit done right can beat this any day if you want precise reproduction.
post #313 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello View Post
After a month of listening after burn-in process, changing tube to Amperex Holland, capacitors from stock ->Muse ES470uf->SanyoWG1000uf I must say, quality considerably changed from cheap chinese amp to budget "mid-fi" amp. I think Muse ES and Sanyo WG had the same sound, Muse need 8 hour burn-in to hear the quality of it.

Pros:
cost(hmm, maybe not after all those improvements)
can drive 250ohms very well
no distortion, whatsoever
warm signature
Cons:
warm signature, I want live analytical sound, so not my taste
highs miss that sparkle, although Tube change improved it, Cmoy BB is far more analytical

All in all, my CmoyBB has for me better SQ, I like to hear all little things in music, my Cmoy has low-end opamp, so it distorts with high volumes, there the tube amp shines.

Indeed is nice little amp, not so bad for the price, great for fun, but op-amp circuit done right can beat this any day if you want precise reproduction.
While I enjoy rolling opamps in my cMoyBB2.02, The sound of my Indeed after the mods is more enjoyable for me via tube rolling. But I do have an OPA2107 and an LT1358 that I really love to listen to with my 440s and the BB202.

The one mod that I really think made the most sonic impact on my Indeed was the addition of the 10K uF cap on the ps. I heartily recommend that y'all get the largest cap (or combination thereof) that you can fit in this position (schematically). It was as though I had built a larger, more pure, theater for the rest of the components to play the music in...the soundstage got wider, taller, deeper and cleaner.

Just look at that mother in the avatar window... It's huge!

Oh yeah, Marcello, if you want your tube amp to sound more "analytical," I'd suggest that you invest in a Telefunken or Siemens E88cc. They seem to be more precise and less colored to me. Roll more than one tube though before you make up your mind. I have some very clean-sounding Amperexes that are more analytical than my BB202 with the stock OPA2227. Enjoy!
post #314 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmus View Post
Any experience or impressions on how well this drives the K701 versus the Little Dot I+ or Millett Starving Student?
bump
post #315 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsky3 View Post
bump
I can't compare with the LD 1+ or Millett SS, but My Indeed drives the K701s quite adequately, better synergy than with some other good cans I tried IMO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?