- 350 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: Melbourne
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAKGtagged by System, 7/22/10
- productAKG K340 Electrostatic-Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/22/10
- productAKG K 340 In-Canal Bud Headphone - Fudgetagged by System, 7/22/10
- productAKG K 340 In-Canal Bud Headphone - Liquoricetagged by System, 7/22/10
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/23/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/23/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- N.O.S. AKG K340 unboxing - lots of PICTURES Last post on 9/6/10 at 2:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How to repair AKG K340's? Last post on 8/11/10 at 3:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG or Bose? Last post on 4/7/13 at 5:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone hating Last post on 9/30/11 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones - Page 20post #286 of 2897/25/13 at 8:47amI have just finished ordering a second hand k340 today.... Can't wait to try them!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #287 of 2898/5/13 at 2:32amThey've finally arrived today and I had a quick listen. The vocal sounds very smooth and forward (one of the best vocal phones I've heard).
But the overall sound is quite warm and thick. Is that the typical k340 sound?
Edited by DMax99 - 8/5/13 at 11:48pmpost #288 of 2899/11/13 at 6:23am
My bass light pair (or at least it has a green dynamic driver housing) is a bit warm sounding, but my bass heavy pair (or at least it has a grey dynamic driver housing) has a bit of glare in the midrange.
Any clue what type yours are? Only one screw to check and you would have to open it up if you need to replace the elastics (the outer cover screw and the other screw on the headband slider).
Edited by namaiki - 9/11/13 at 6:41ampost #289 of 28911/14/13 at 8:02am
Recently scored a K340 in great shape and they arrived yesterday. Wow wow wowwow wow. The most lush, full and musical reproduction I have ever heard! The bass is strong, on par with with my MP Sextetts but more defined. The mids - oh my dear gosh the mids - are glorious, warm and full; I can't get over these mids! Vocals and piano are the richest I have yet heard. The highs, contrary to my expectations, are rolled off somewhat; but boy are they great. In spite of the dominant lows and mids every cymbal tap and fretboard squeak comes through with great clarity and realism.
The real kicker here? This is all coming from my $180 solid state Aphex Headpod 4 (an amp I would highly recommend for those looking for gobs of clean power on the cheap, treats all of my 600ohm vintage AKGs quite well). I know people have said that K340s are a poor match for solid state, but whoever said that hasn't heard the pair I have! The HD600 has been my can up until this point, and while I appreciate their exceptional soundstage, neutrality and accuracy for reference, my mid junky ears have wanted something warmer for casual listening, so I had been looking at tube amps. But this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I've been through numerous AKGs (K240 Sextett MP and LP, K240M, K240S, K240DF, K141 Silver, K270, K280, K550) and more recently the HD600, and this K340 easily surpasses them all in terms of sheer enjoyment. Granted, it can't compete with the HD600 in terms of soundstage width, but to me it has better separation and results in a more immersive experience (HD600 can almost spread things too thin in my experience). Though I'm sure I will try it, it's hard for me to fathom a tube amp doing anything more wonderful with these headphones (in fact I think anything warmer would push them over the warmness edge). Thank you AKG for some astounding headphones; please take a look back as you move forward and don't forget the wonderful things you have stopped making!
A few side notes:
I kept hearing how heavy these are and so was expecting a ton of bricks; they're not that heavy.
On the other hand I didn't realize how ginormous these are until I first saw them in person, so with a pretty small narrow head I look like a complete doofus with these on. But as much as I enjoy them I could care less.
I find these to be very comfortable and am able to wear them for long periods without any problems. I do notice my ears getting a bit warm/sweaty as others have mentioned, so I will probably try velour K271 pads in the near future.
I'm not sure what version I have; I only know that it is not the bass light version! Once I have some time to crack them open I will let you guys know.
Back to listening
- AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 13 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 17 seconds ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 29 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 32 seconds ago
- › $200-300 DAC/AMP for HE-400 40 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 42 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 54 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated... 2 minutes ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STU 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital