Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones - Page 2

post #16 of 307
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esuko View Post
M-F will definetly work well. Hope your neck is not fragile cause these headphones are heavy.
LOL,

I'm a big boned guy, so that's no worries for me.
post #17 of 307
Thread Starter 
Is the K340 harder to driver then the K701? I also heard people say the K701 is hard to drive too.
post #18 of 307
Thread Starter 
Anyway I have had fun on here tonight. Thanks for all your replys.

In the next couple of weeks I'll make a new thread, about what I think of the K340.
post #19 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL-speakers View Post
Is the K340 harder to driver then the K701? I also heard people say the K701 is hard to drive too.
Yes, much harder.
post #20 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL-speakers View Post
Sure I understand, Are the K340 harder to dive then the k701? I use the K701 on my nice Rotel RC-03 preamp, which does a great job. The Rotel is a smooth warm sounding preamp. But I know a Headphone amp is much better, don't get me wrong.
Not even close. You need a speaker amp to really open them up.
post #21 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
Not even close. You need a speaker amp to really open them up.
QFT.....by far the best way to drive them IMO.
post #22 of 307
i found the bass on the K340 to be better than the K701 but the 340 is also brighter. both are not easy to drive and the 340 definitely needs more power.
post #23 of 307
I hope my M^3 has the juice. I've been through this before when I tried to power my K-501 with a Little Dot MKIII

Fail.
post #24 of 307
I have both. The K340s are definitely bassier than the K701s while the the frequency range on the K701s is smoother. I use the K340s mainly for jazz and the K701s for classical. Both are driven OK by my X-Can V3. The 701 at around -40db, the 340 at around -35db.

I got the 340s new in 1980 for $300. They were the best thing out there at the tim.
post #25 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios View Post
I got the 340s new in 1980 for $300. They were the best thing out there at the tim.
It still is very hard to do much better (within the price range).


Side note: I don't think the m^3 will have enough juice to power them properly. But then again, I hope for you that I am wrong.
post #26 of 307
Very true about the price range not counting inflation.

My V3 is tricked out with better caps and diodes as well as a 2500 mA power supply. BTW the Telefunken tubes deliver great bass on the 340.
post #27 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
Not even close. You need a speaker amp to really open them up.
While the first part is true, the second part is not. Both the Headamp GSX and the Zana Deux have worked exceptionally well with my 340's. Although a good speaker amp can drive them well, there are headphone amps that certainly can drive them well also, and some might say with better overall control of the drivers.
post #28 of 307
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios View Post
I have both. The K340s are definitely bassier than the K701s while the the frequency range on the K701s is smoother. I use the K340s mainly for jazz and the K701s for classical. Both are driven OK by my X-Can V3. The 701 at around -40db, the 340 at around -35db.

I got the 340s new in 1980 for $300. They were the best thing out there at the tim.

In some ways Are both the AKG K340 & 701 similar?

You may have seen that I said, that I will be using the K340 on my Rotel RC-03 preamp. I use very good interconnects in my system.

1X Nordost Red dawn from my pre to the CD PLAYER.

1X Nordost Red Dawn going from the Pre to the poweramp.
post #29 of 307
Thread Starter 
What Headphones has a lot in common with the AKG K340?
post #30 of 307
Thread Starter 
Very interesting this. Can't wait to see what you guys say.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones