Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Pioneer PL-50 Turntable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer PL-50 Turntable - Page 2

post #16 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by memepool View Post
T-Preamp TCC TC754 - 3 inputs preamp with MM phono stage - [English] this is the cheapest decent one I know of but there are DIY kits as well. The best budget favourite at the moment is the Cambridge Audio 640P which is a bit pricier. These things are really expensive in general actually and you might alos want to check out the goodwill or craigslist for an old amp or reciever as anything older than the 1990s will have a phonostage as standard.

A new belt shouldn't cost you much, 15 USD from New Replacement Belts for Pioneer Turntables. Turntable Basics. Parts and Accessories for Record Players. Turntable Belts and Idler Wheels.. It's worth checking the sizes against your existing one just to be sure they have it right.
You should be able to get it going with the existing belt just to make sure the motor isn't burned out before spending any money. Does the platter where the record sits spin freely? Try lifting it off and removing the belt and giving it a spin. You'll want to clean and re-oil the main bearing on a deck this old.
what do you think of this:
Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760LC Details and Hookup

I'm also getting into DIY. what phono stages/preamps would you recommend thats worth the time? or better then the one you and I listed.
post #17 of 66
I havn't seen that particular one reviewed but it's the same company JEC so it is probably the same or very similar parts in a slightly different package.
Ssportclay is the man to ask about DIY phonostages. There is a good series of reviews here which compares a few. http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/m...hansen2090.pdf
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
what do you think of this:
Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760LC Details and Hookup

I'm also getting into DIY. what phono stages/preamps would you recommend thats worth the time? or better then the one you and I listed.
The battery powered Hagerman Bugle comes in either kit form or fully assembled for more money. This is easily the best way to go if you want to build one to run a MM cartridge. If you ever want to try a moving coil cartridge, the Bugle can be reconfigured for a 60 db gain or better yet, get yourself a couple CineMag transformers and wire them into a project box with some nice connectors. Hagerman also offers a power supply kit for the Bugle for those who don't want to run batteries. I actually used a couple (10 cell) AA battery holders so that I could run each channel at 15 volts instead of the standard 9 volts for increased air and dynamic slam.
post #19 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
The battery powered Hagerman Bugle comes in either kit form or fully assembled for more money. This is easily the best way to go if you want to build one to run a MM cartridge. If you ever want to try a moving coil cartridge, the Bugle can be reconfigured for a 60 db gain or better yet, get yourself a couple CineMag transformers and wire them into a project box with some nice connectors. Hagerman also offers a power supply kit for the Bugle for those who don't want to run batteries. I actually used a couple (10 cell) AA battery holders so that I could run each channel at 15 volts instead of the standard 9 volts for increased air and dynamic slam.
I dont think I would go with a battery unit. If I was listening to vinyl all the time, maybe. but it would most likely just sit for a while and drain until I got to listen to it again. would you recommend the hagerman bugle with the ac plug, or another model all together? how would the hagerman fare against the one I asked about? I think I'll probably buy a full unit at first, then diy something later. If I like the diy better, I can always sell.

I am also a bit confused with the whole MM/MC phono carts, and what they need. I will probably go with the denon 110 when I get the deck up and running. I have another deck. it basically uses this cart. I have this plugged into my receiver, so I'm not even thinking about the phono stage. what kind of cart is this? mm? mc? man this is confusing.
post #20 of 66
The Shure in your link is a decent MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge. A Denon DL110 is a high output moving coil (MC) that also connects to the MM input of a phono preamp. Low output moving coil cartridges such as the Denon DL103 require a MC phono stage with much higher gain.
Ignoring a little self-promotion, Graham Slee has a basic overview of MM and MC cartridges and phono preamps at the link below.

All About The Phono Preamp Stage
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
I dont think I would go with a battery unit. If I was listening to vinyl all the time, maybe. but it would most likely just sit for a while and drain until I got to listen to it again. would you recommend the hagerman bugle with the ac plug, or another model all together? how would the hagerman fare against the one I asked about? I think I'll probably buy a full unit at first, then diy something later. If I like the diy better, I can always sell.

I am also a bit confused with the whole MM/MC phono carts, and what they need. I will probably go with the denon 110 when I get the deck up and running. I have another deck. it basically uses this cart. I have this plugged into my receiver, so I'm not even thinking about the phono stage. what kind of cart is this? mm? mc? man this is confusing.
The battery powered Hagerman Bugle doesn't really look like much in the picture but its actually quite a lot better than the TC-760LC. The Bugle costs about $75 to build and you could order the plug-in power supply at the same time or order it later if you decide you don't like batteries.The phono box II, 640P, and Phono box SE II are all excellent units if you don't want to build the kit.
post #22 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
The Shure in your link is a decent MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge. A Denon DL110 is a high output moving coil (MC) that also connects to the MM input of a phono preamp. Low output moving coil cartridges such as the Denon DL103 require a MC phono stage with much higher gain.
Ignoring a little self-promotion, Graham Slee has a basic overview of MM and MC cartridges and phono preamps at the link below.

All About The Phono Preamp Stage
that is an excellent read. I was searching for something like this, but all I could find was the wikipedia blurb, which was mostly not helpful. now I get it, at least a bit more. complicated stuff.
post #23 of 66
Thread Starter 
hey guys. I was measured the old broken belt found in the machine. it measures 34 inches. all the literature I can find says that this model takes a 35.1 inch belt. I assume a bit of shrinkage with age and drying, but what do you guys think? I wanted to get this ordered today, then this.
post #24 of 66
Belts don't normally shrink with age, they stretch with use and lose elasticity. It's possible that the previous owner was using the incorrect size and that could be one of the reasons that it broke.
Go with the recommended size. If you want to double check, you could try using a string in place of the belt and then marking and measuring the string. Although I don't know if you could get it taut enough to be useful.
post #25 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
Belts don't normally shrink with age, they stretch with use and lose elasticity. It's possible that the previous owner was using the incorrect size and that could be one of the reasons that it broke.
Go with the recommended size. If you want to double check, you could try using a string in place of the belt and then marking and measuring the string. Although I don't know if you could get it taut enough to be useful.
Excellent point on the breaking. never even came to me. I'll order the recommended size. thanks!
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
Excellent point on the breaking. never even came to me. I'll order the recommended size. thanks!
I'd treat the measurements on Turntablebasics as guidlines as they havbe done an amazing job to find all these measurements but they are not always perfect. They will send you a few different sizes to try if you ask nicely. Do the string thing like NightOwl suggests and ask for 1 on either side of this. Getting the correct belt size is vital as too loose and it will slip or slur, too tight and you'll get unwanted noise and cause uneven wear on the bearing.
post #27 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by memepool View Post
I'd treat the measurements on Turntablebasics as guidlines as they havbe done an amazing job to find all these measurements but they are not always perfect. They will send you a few different sizes to try if you ask nicely. Do the string thing like NightOwl suggests and ask for 1 on either side of this. Getting the correct belt size is vital as too loose and it will slip or slur, too tight and you'll get unwanted noise and cause uneven wear on the bearing.
I've got the 35.1 on the way. we'll see how it fits. hopefully I'll get lucky the first time.
post #28 of 66
Thread Starter 
I FINALLY got the new belt for the pl-50. I installed it, and everything looks good. its playing at the right speed, and seems fairly smooth and consistent!! I couldnt be more excited!! the original cart and stylus are on the deck, so I pulled out a REALLY bad copy of Dark Side of the Moon to see if the electronics were functioning correctly. again, there was sound!! both sides!! this is great, as I was worried about bad wiring or a short somewhere. looks like we're a go for step 2, new cart. I'll be getting that denon 110. just got to get some bread for it.

Question.. I got a line on an old Sony TA3650 amp. anyone know anything about it? could solve my amp/phono stage problem if its decent.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
Question.. I got a line on an old Sony TA3650 amp. anyone know anything about it? could solve my amp/phono stage problem if its decent.
Nice. Sony TA-3650 & ST-3950 on TVK

Definitely worth having I'd say and good that it doesn't use V-FETs as they are impossible to replace these days.
post #30 of 66
Thread Starter 
among the other things I need for the table, I need to get a new rubber turntable mat. the one on it it warped. OR. is there any way to flatten it out? I was thinking of putting it in the oven for a little bit. carefully monitored of course.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Pioneer PL-50 Turntable