Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... - Page 41

post #601 of 1139

Came home and was pleasantly surprised, TS5998's came early biggrin.gif. Coming from the RCA 6AS7G, there's a new whole layer of detail yet still very smooth. They're dead quiet too.

post #602 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

Came home and was pleasantly surprised, TS5998's came early biggrin.gif. Coming from the RCA 6AS7G, there's a new whole layer of detail yet still very smooth. They're dead quiet too.

Yeah the TS5998 is a really SWEET sounding tube.  I have heard others call it bass-lean and "solid state" sounding, which I think it totally bogus.  Its loaded with even order THD in the midrange/vocals, and it has a sense of sub-bass resonance that I have only heard in $1500+ tube amps and electrostats.  It really transforms the 337 into a whole nother' league, with TS mesh plate drivers.

post #603 of 1139
+1
post #604 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

Came home and was pleasantly surprised, TS5998's came early biggrin.gif. Coming from the RCA 6AS7G, there's a new whole layer of detail yet still very smooth. They're dead quiet too.

 

Where did you "source" the Tung-Sol's, if I may ask?

post #605 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post

Yeah the TS5998 is a really SWEET sounding tube.  I have heard others call it bass-lean and "solid state" sounding, which I think it totally bogus.  Its loaded with even order THD in the midrange/vocals, and it has a sense of sub-bass resonance that I have only heard in $1500+ tube amps and electrostats.  It really transforms the 337 into a whole nother' league, with TS mesh plate drivers.

+1 i Agree totally..that combo rocks..am curious if the uber tubes of tubes..the gec a1834 brown base..would give even more sound quality..if the new dac/amp (for which i am waiting for a quote) is to above budget..then certainly will try a set of those gec.


Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/29/13 at 12:08pm
post #606 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Where did you "source" the Tung-Sol's, if I may ask?

 

Off the popular auction website where I get most of my tubes. It takes a lot of time and patience, but I eventually snagged a decent deal on 2 NOS 5998's.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

+1 i Agree totally..that combo rocks..am curious if the uber tubes of tubes..the gec a1834 brown base..would give even more sound quality..if the new dac/amp ofwhich i am witing for a quote is to expensive..then certainly will try a set of those gec.

 

I've read that one thing about the GEC is that along with its superb sound quality, it has less gain in comparison with the 5998, allowing you to have more headroom on the amp.

post #607 of 1139
post #608 of 1139

^ oh wow thats a really good price!!!! they won't last long.

post #609 of 1139

Thanks for the links, congratulations, very nice tubes.

 

No way I am going to control the addiction with nice tubes like that on offer.........

post #610 of 1139
I just checked the recent prices for a pair of a1834 gec's. 535 usd!!! Omg!!!
post #611 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I just checked the recent prices for a pair of a1834 gec's. 535 usd!!! Omg!!!

 

ikr. 

 

ive always wanted to try a pair with my WA2, but not at those prices! (i can see myself buying spare 5998s and maybe some nice driver tubes soon though)


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 4/10/13 at 2:35am
post #612 of 1139
So I guess the pair of GEC A1834's I bought for $40 I will need to keep for a while wink.gif

Sure is interesting to watch NOS tube prices soar. Supply and demand, don't ya know. Until they became popular in headphone amps a few years back, the 6AS7G and all it's cousins were not popular tubes. 5 years ago RCA 6AS7Gs didn't fetch $5 each. You could buy a NOS sleeve of 5 for $20 very easily.
post #613 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

The EF80 hums just like the 6SJ7. It is essentially the same tube, but in a 9-pin mini versus octal base. Both are sharp-cutoff pentodes, and both hummed in my 337 (I have a socket adaptor for using the EF80 in the 337).

 

Slight digress, I have 1 mesh TS 6SJGT which hums. What are the chances it will go off with use or is it broken? Tks

post #614 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by snip3r77 View Post

 

Slight digress, I have 1 mesh TS 6SJGT which hums. What are the chances it will go off with use or is it broken? Tks

I remember when I got mine they hummed too.  I guess they must have been pretty new, even though the 337 they came with was well used.  The hum completely went away after only ~1 week, probably ~20 hours of total listening time.

post #615 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

You're probably right.  I did some reading on a French forum (translated of course) and some other info that basically said the 7236 is computer rated (with tighter matching) 5998A.  I've never heard a TS 7236, but I can say that the 5998A does sound very similar to the regular 5998.  The 5998A is also a lot more musical than my Sylvania 7236.

All of the tube numbering is confusing enough with manufacturers playing tricks on us

 

Anyway, I'm very happy to have this tube.  Great price and great sound.
 


 

 

Just wondering what is the relationship between the 5998 vs 5998a vs 7236. Was thinking if it's possible to pay non premium price for the 5998 equivalence.

 

Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....