Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... - Page 35

post #511 of 1438
That's so funny! Good thing his parents don't know enough to be concerned about the toxic Mercury that's inside those tubes!!!!
post #512 of 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

I finally got to listen to the Svetlana tubes, I expected much worse. reasonably good midrange compared to the RCA
Lolz..u had already listened to them..remember..my 337 had svetlana powertubes on it at the time during the meet..u said u found my amp sounding more ss then tubey..biggrin.gif
post #513 of 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Lolz..u had already listened to them..remember..my 337 had svetlana powertubes on it at the time during the meet..u said u found my amp sounding more ss then tubey..biggrin.gif

 

Other amp, other sound. This wasn't in a 337 or 339 wink_face.gif

post #514 of 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

Other amp, other sound. This wasn't in a 337 or 339 wink_face.gif
Oh ok.. biggrin.gif i now have a combo of tungsols 5998 as power and tungsols gt mesh plates as drivers..heaven with my he500's and my new litz copper cable biggrin.gif
post #515 of 1438

I want the mesh plates TS 6SJ7GT too to complete the collection for the 339, but I'm too lazy to go to the shop :D
 

post #516 of 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

I want the mesh plates TS 6SJ7GT too to complete the collection for the 339, but I'm too lazy to go to the shop biggrin.gif

 
I am trying to find a backup pair..but they are hard to find.mad.gif
post #517 of 1438
Just got a hold of a Chatham 2399 that's rolled into my WA3. What an interesting tube...the sound is so smooth and open, definitely pleasing. In contrast to the 5998A (that I happen to be quite fond of), the 2399 seems slightly more forward in the female vocal range with a bit more mid-bass, while the 5998A comes across very analytical and dynamic. I'm going to have to listen to it with a variety of music. Simon and Garfunkel 'Scarborough Fair' through the 2399 is exceptionally moving. Trifonic 'Lies', not so much and I find much more involving with the 5998A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

Ten 2399 tubes are a good thing to have.  If you really like their sound you should consider getting an amp modified to bias the tube ideally.  You'll be surprised at how much better they can sound when they are operating at their most linear operating point.  IMO if you actually design the power supply of the amp to accommodate the 5998/2399 it puts the tube in another league from the 6AS7G all together.
post #518 of 1438
Picked up a couple Cetron 7236 and indeed it is a nice sounding tube. I'm going to have to do some comparisons, but I believe it has the deepest soundstage I've encountered amongst the TS5998, GE5998A, JAN5998A, RCA6080, and 6n13s. Almost too deep. Like the TS5998, it's extraordinarily quiet too. Like one of the early posts in the thread....this one also has graffiti on the outside of the plates. smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post

Another vote for the Tungsol 7236.  It's been seeing a lot of playing time in my WA2.
post #519 of 1438

The Cetron 7236 is a rebranded TS 7236.  The TS 5998A is a non-computer rated TS 7236.  And, yes, it is a wonderful tube.  Enjoy!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

Picked up a couple Cetron 7236 and indeed it is a nice sounding tube. I'm going to have to do some comparisons, but I believe it has the deepest soundstage I've encountered amongst the TS5998, GE5998A, JAN5998A, RCA6080, and 6n13s. Almost too deep. Like the TS5998, it's extraordinarily quiet too. Like one of the early posts in the thread....this one also has graffiti on the outside of the plates. smily_headphones1.gif
post #520 of 1438

Cetron actually purchased Tung-Sol, or many/most of their tube lines, at one point in the 70's IIRC.  

post #521 of 1438

Hi Skylab (Rob).... have you tried the GEC 6AS7's before?

post #522 of 1438

Oh goodness yes.  The GEC 6AS7G with the curvy brown base is my very favorite 6AS7G. Hard to get and expensive when you can, but its a wonderful tube.

post #523 of 1438

Thanks, indeed I have read that brown bases are one, if not the best you can get, expensive it is indeed, $250+ on ebay for 1. Any other 6AS7 you would recommend that would come a close second or third to your current favourite preference while not being as expensive?

 

Thanks

post #524 of 1438

I wonder if Skylab isn't bored of answering that question by now :D
 

post #525 of 1438
Read this thread. It's a goldmine of information and opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Thanks, indeed I have read that brown bases are one, if not the best you can get, expensive it is indeed, $250+ on ebay for 1. Any other 6AS7 you would recommend that would come a close second or third to your current favourite preference while not being as expensive?

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....