Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... - Page 4

post #46 of 1672
I'm using the GEC's in my SP Extreme, but I am using Tung-Sol black-plate 6AS7G's in my DV 337 right now. I like 5998's, but sometimes I think I like 6AS7G's better. I guess maybe it depends on my mood
post #47 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I'm using the GEC's in my SP Extreme, but I am using Tung-Sol black-plate 6AS7G's in my DV 337 right now. I like 5998's, but sometimes I think I like 6AS7G's better. I guess maybe it depends on my mood
Any idea why new tubes HUM so much in the 337? Have you ever noticed that in any other amp?

.
post #48 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I think the winged C could be considered fancy branding
Do you also consider this 2-pack fancy packaging?
post #49 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Any idea why new tubes HUM so much in the 337? Have you ever noticed that in any other amp?

.
It is only the 6SJ7's that hum so badly when new. And it is the tube, not the amp. I had another amp that used 6SJ7's, and same exact thing - up to 30 hours of break in was required on new tubes before they would quiet down. It's just that type of tube that seems to have that problem.

When I put new 6AS7's in the 337, they are silent within 10 seconds.
post #50 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
It is only the 6SJ7's that hum so badly when new. And it is the tube, not the amp. I had another amp that used 6SJ7's, and same exact thing - up to 30 hours of break in was required on new tubes before they would quiet down. It's just that type of tube that seems to have that problem.

When I put new 6AS7's in the 337, they are silent within 10 seconds.
I'll check that, but the Tubes HUM in my 337SE which uses EF80's.. I'll check to see if it's the input, the output or both that hum.

.
post #51 of 1672
The EF80 hums just like the 6SJ7. It is essentially the same tube, but in a 9-pin mini versus octal base. Both are sharp-cutoff pentodes, and both hummed in my 337 (I have a socket adaptor for using the EF80 in the 337).
post #52 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
The EF80 hums just like the 6SJ7. It is essentially the same tube, but in a 9-pin mini versus octal base. Both are sharp-cutoff pentodes, and both hummed in my 337 (I have a socket adaptor for using the EF80 in the 337).
I guess it's a family trait, not an AMP trait.

.
post #53 of 1672
It is disconcerting - the things hum like CRAZY for the first 10-12 hours or so. But they do always quiet down - one just has to exercise a lot of patience
post #54 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Ditto. I tried the Mullards, too - they were better than the US 6080's, but still an RCA 6AS7G blows them away.
I haven't heard Captain Mullard's entry but I could have said the same thing about a GEC 6080WA.

The grey-plate RCA 6AS7G is good stuff, though, and pairs well with the sprightly Tfk E88CC in the DAC. Add one 6SN7GT, a richer one rather than a leaner one, into the mix, and I'm quite happy.

Still burning in the Sveta.
post #55 of 1672
As i have ordered a new amp, which also use the 6AS7G tubes, may i know which tube are suitable for chamber musics?? it means having a good mid-reproduction as well as the bass, thanks
post #56 of 1672
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwine View Post
As i have ordered a new amp, which also use the 6AS7G tubes, may i know which tube are suitable for chamber musics?? it means having a good mid-reproduction as well as the bass, thanks
The only way to know for sure is to get some of each and listen.

However,
You can't go wrong with these:

1) RCA 6AS7G Black Plate or JAN-CRC 6AS7G
2) Tung Sol 5998

The RCAs will be the cheapest, just start watching Fleabay or call Jim @ vacuumtubesinc.com who is Fast and Cheap... Just like my first Wife...

.
post #57 of 1672
Wow, the TS 5998s sure open up the soundstage compared to the 6080s. Nicer bass too. Thanks guys.

Edit: Why did I wait so long to get some of these? What a difference to the 6080s.
post #58 of 1672
Is GE ever a rebrand of RCA? I ordered an RCA black-plate 6AS7G (from tubeworld.com, which otherwise seems to be pretty decent), but got instead one marked as GE (below). Is this a mistake on their part, or are they the same manufacture as RCA at least in some cases? Anybody know?

post #59 of 1672
Ok, according to Brendan of tubeworld, it is indeed a rebrand, that RCA was the only maker of the clear top 6AS7G.
post #60 of 1672
I am also pretty sure it's a rebrand as well, depending on how you look at it - GE owned RCA through most of it's corporate history.

But it is simply false that RCA was the only maker of a "clear top" (meaning bottom getter) 6AS7G. Tung-Sol also made them, and in the UK so did GEC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....