Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... - Page 9

post #121 of 1134

Dannie I agree they are expensive tubes but worth budgeting for in the long term.

Be careful you don't become a 6SN7 tube addict (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts)!

post #122 of 1134

Haha, can't resist to be the one but I need sometime to recover my wallet's wound.

post #123 of 1134

RCA 6as7g's are available for ~ $30/pair while the best I can find the 5998's for is $90/pair.  Is it worth 3x the price for the 5998's for a dv337?

Any tips on where to find a pair of TS mesh plate 6sj7gt's?

Thanks.

post #124 of 1134

You can get 5998's for $80/pair here: www.vacuumtubes.net - that's about the best you are going to do these days.  I think they are worth it.

 

You might ask them about the mesh TS 6SJ7GT's as well.

post #125 of 1134

Actually, that is where I was quoted $90/pair.

They have no mesh plate  6SJ7GT's.  I'll continue my search............   Thank you.

post #126 of 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by setamp View Post

Actually, that is where I was quoted $90/pair.

They have no mesh plate  6SJ7GT's.  I'll continue my search............   Thank you.


Try this guy, very reasonable. Haven't checked or bought anything from him recently.

 

http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/

post #127 of 1134

Thanks Les.  No luck there.  I'm going to pick up the 5998's and keep digging for the Tung Sol mesh plates.


Edited by setamp - 7/8/10 at 12:11pm
post #128 of 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by setamp View Post

Thanks Les.  No luck there.  I'm going to pick up the 5998's and keep digging for the Tung Sol mesh plates.


You called?  He does not list a lot of stuff on his website.

post #129 of 1134

Yes, I called.  Great guy.

Edit.  I was able to buy the tubes from a very kind Head-fi member. 


Edited by setamp - 7/8/10 at 5:50pm
post #130 of 1134

I would like to know which of the 6AS7 tube variants works best with rock.

post #131 of 1134

Have a listen to Bendix 6080 if you can. 

post #132 of 1134

For me, that would for sure be the 5998.

post #133 of 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

I would like to know which of the 6AS7 tube variants works best with rock.


5998's would be my pick.

 

6AS7G's are nice sounding but a little smoother, softer, and less bass impact.

 

IMO, the 6080's are veiled and muddy and don't do anything well, even the Bendix's.  Some like them though as referenced above.


Edited by les_garten - 7/10/10 at 8:52am
post #134 of 1134

I have the 5998, and it's a great tube for rock.  However, I'm starting to think the RCA 6AS7G might be my current favorite.  While it doesn't have quite the the precision or the bass thump as the 5998, to my humble ears it is a little warmer and a little more musical.  Really does some magic to old Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Rolling Stone recordings (which tend to be strident at times).


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

I would like to know which of the 6AS7 tube variants works best with rock.

post #135 of 1134


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

I have the 5998, and it's a great tube for rock.  However, I'm starting to think the RCA 6AS7G might be my current favorite.  While it doesn't have quite the the precision or the bass thump as the 5998, to my humble ears it is a little warmer and a little more musical.  Really does some magic to old Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Rolling Stone recordings (which tend to be strident at times).


 


 

 

I do have an RCA black plate 6AS7G which I have been using as my main power tube and a GE 12AU7 for the preamp.  Both are tubes I randomly bought off ebay but so far I am very pleased with how they sound.  I will try to find a place that sells the 5998, they seem hard to come by on ebay.
 


Edited by tdogzthmn - 7/10/10 at 10:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....