or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... - Page 78

post #1156 of 3799

I have a pair of these with Raytheon branding. They really sound different from the bendix like tubes. I did not like the sound at all.

 

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

 

Check out IIc


Edited by Ultrainferno - 5/2/14 at 10:21am
post #1157 of 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post
 

I have a pair of these with Raytheon branding. They really sound different from the bendix like tubes. I did not like the sound at all.

 

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

 

Check out IIc

 

Into the collectible pile it goes I guess... I'm assuming the Raytheon's were originally manufactured by Bendix?

post #1158 of 3799

The chinese 6N5P sound nice ? Anyone have experience with this tube ? Actually I use a GE 6080 in my amplifier and this tube is weak.

I am looking for a cheap alternative for replace it. A chinese seller offers me the 6N5P per U$3 each, a cup of coffee here in Brazil...:eek:

 

 

Thanks

 

Aldovan

post #1159 of 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldovan View Post
 

The chinese 6N5P sound nice ? Anyone have experience with this tube ? Actually I use a GE 6080 in my amplifier and this tube is weak.

I am looking for a cheap alternative for replace it. A chinese seller offers me the 6N5P per U$3 each, a cup of coffee here in Brazil...:eek:

 

 

Thanks

 

Aldovan

 cheap alternatives would be RCA 6AS7 and chatham 6as7. by cheap i mean under $15 to $30 shipped.

post #1160 of 3799

Yes, I getting some RCA 6SA7G and Tungsol 5998 from USA, too.( I paid U$20 in each used 5998)

But Anyone know the sound of this Chinese 6N5P ?

 

Aldovan

post #1161 of 3799
Personally I think the Chinese 6N5P is the worst sounding 6AS7 equivalent and by a wide margin. The Russian 6H13C is much better sounding and just as cheap.
post #1162 of 3799

Ok, them U$3 each is a fortune !

post #1163 of 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Personally I think the Chinese 6N5P is the worst sounding 6AS7 equivalent and by a wide margin. The Russian 6H13C is much better sounding and just as cheap.

What chineses brands of 6N5P you know ? Shuguang do not is the unique chinese brand. Shuguang is the more cheap and available.And have the worst quality.
post #1164 of 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldovan View Post


What chineses brands of 6N5P you know ? Shuguang do not is the unique chinese brand. Shuguang is the more cheap and available.And have the worst quality.

Then do enlighten us if you know them.  I don't like the Shuguang sound either and there are many more attractively priced options available (certainly considering shipping) so I guess the general consensus here is, why bother?  But if you know some good ones let's hear it, always curious.

 

About the Svetlana 6H13C, I know it gets a lot of flac here but have to confess I don't think it's bad at all, sure beats some more expensive 6080's to my ears. 

post #1165 of 3799

Why the peoples un the group make a comparation between the 5998 and 6080 ?

This do not are the same tubes. Do not is correct this comparation, the 5998 have biggest gain and transcondutance, is very different.

And I do not underestand because use a power tube in a phone amplifier...you can put 3W in a speaker with a 6080 and a phone do not need more them 50mW....really I do not underestand...for a phone amplifier a 12B4 or 6S19P is ok.

post #1166 of 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldovan View Post
 

Why the peoples un the group make a comparation between the 5998 and 6080 ?

This do not are the same tubes. Do not is correct this comparation, the 5998 have biggest gain and transcondutance, is very different.

And I do not underestand because use a power tube in a phone amplifier...you can put 3W in a speaker with a 6080 and a phone do not need more them 50mW....really I do not underestand...for a phone amplifier a 12B4 or 6S19P is ok.

If it were the same tubes there'd obviously be nothing to compare.....look,read this thread is my advice.  I'm a newbie with tube gear but you'll see that most people who post here have been around and know what they're talking about.  People use them because a) they're available and b) they've proven to work quite well and some sound good.  Why do people buy and ride motorcycles that can top 300 km/u while the max speed is much lower and a scooter will also get you there?  Choice and the freedom to spend your money as you see fit.  

 

I think transcendent sound builds amps based on the tubes you mention.  Of course, they put in a dozen or so so I hope that whoever purchases them does't live in a tropical clime.  As to the 'but you only need so much power to drive a headphone':

 

Not gonna go there.....waste of time....see the O2 thread.

post #1167 of 3799
I use the 6080 in my home amplifier.
Onde tube in each channel only and about 3W, thus is ok for listen in all house. The transcedent use the OTL technology...many tubes and high cost for a horrible sound...
post #1168 of 3799

If you want a cheap 6AS7Gs look at the Russian 5 and 13s rather than the chinese example quoted (bottom of my list) or for 6080s then there are lot's of cheap decent quality US made examples.

post #1169 of 3799
Yes,my GE 6080 sound fine as my Shuguang 2A3C tube.
post #1170 of 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldovan View Post
 

Why the peoples un the group make a comparation between the 5998 and 6080 ?

This do not are the same tubes. Do not is correct this comparation, the 5998 have biggest gain and transcondutance, is very different.

And I do not underestand because use a power tube in a phone amplifier...you can put 3W in a speaker with a 6080 and a phone do not need more them 50mW....really I do not underestand...for a phone amplifier a 12B4 or 6S19P is ok.

 

Hey aldovan - yours is a good question.  The answer is that designers are using these power tubes as "cathode followers" in OTL headamps (pulling the signal off the cathode rather than the anode).  This is a nifty trick that lowers the output impedance enough to run high ohm phones without the need to include output transformers in the circuit.

 

Except for Zana Deuxs, pretty much all of the OTL's discussed on head-fi (bottlehead crack, woo2, woo 3, darkvoice/lafigaro amps, singlepowers, etc.), use this same tube family to accomplish this.  See:  http://www.hificollective.co.uk/pdf/otl_head.pdf 

 

5998's and 7236's do indeed have higher transconductance (and gain) than 6080's and 6as7(g)'s and consequently further reduce the output impedance in cathode follower headamps.  Most, if not all, of the above headamps are compatible with these closely related tubes even though they do have different specs.  I also sometimes run a 7802 in my crack which is even higher transconductance, but I can't speak as to whether or not that works in the other common OTL's.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: