Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I've Just Got to Have Bass!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've Just Got to Have Bass! - Page 5

post #61 of 246
Proline 750 or Denon D2000/5000.
post #62 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvanrij View Post
Well iriverdude is just clearly looking to annoy me, and has a very distorted view of reality. I mean:

'I guess I would be pretty pissed if I spent what you have on phones and equipment, and something like a £1400 subwoofer does stuff to you what no phones on earth can.'

What on earth am I supposed to comment on that. A wise man once said, 'don't argue with dumb people, you will always lose the argument due to flawed logic'.

Absolutely nothing. Only reason why I jumped in angry because I found his comment a direct and mocking attack to audiophile hobby as general.
post #63 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Dude View Post
I had this crazy thought that since I have top-of-the-line Denon AV receivers, they might somehow be 'matched' and I could get along w/o an amp.
D2000 was measured in finnish hifi magazine. Measurement were done with 120ohm and minimal output impedance. Results had small differences in the measured frequency response.
It means D2000 is frequency response wise good mate with AV receivers. Other audiophile qualities you have to figure out yourself.
post #64 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoart View Post
The bass on allegedly "bass heavy" phones (such as DT770 Pro) never overpowers the rest of the sound spectrum. Quite the contrary, sounds are clear and natural at all frequencies, including deep bass.
By contrast, so-called "audiophile" headphones underemphasize the bass. For proof, look at the graph of the K701, which shows a very steep rolloff starting around 200Hz (compare this to the graph of the "bass heavy" D5000, which remains flat almost all the way to 20Hz.)
Portraying the K701 to represent all of the "audiophile" headphones is just a little silly.

I am currently listening to electronica on my HD650...So, since my headphone is considered to be an "audiophile" can, does it mean that they "underemphasize" bass? I wouldn't think so...I think they offer some of the best bass quality I have ever heard so far in my experience with headphones.
post #65 of 246
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esuko View Post
D2000 was measured in finnish hifi magazine. Measurement were done with 120ohm and minimal output impedance. Results had small differences in the measured frequency response.
It means D2000 is frequency response wise good mate with AV receivers. Other audiophile qualities you have to figure out yourself.

Ahhhh.

Thank you! Makes sense.

It would appear to be a slight PR problem for Denon to say, "We're making these great AV Receivers ...and these great headphones...but (ahem) for them to sound good you have to buy this amp that's (ahem) not made by us..."
post #66 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I am currently listening to electronica on my HD650...So, since my headphone is considered to be an "audiophile" can, does it mean that they "underemphasize" bass? I wouldn't think so...I think they offer some of the best bass quality I have ever heard so far in my experience with headphones.
Several self-styled "audiophiles" have decsribed the HD650s as bass-heavy cans.
post #67 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoart View Post
Several self-styled "audiophiles" have decsribed the HD650s as bass-heavy cans.
And several have not said the K701 were bass-shy?
post #68 of 246
Spam below...




I have discovered 3 jerks in 1 thread.
post #69 of 246
All of this talk about subs is moot.
The reason I started listening to headphones in the first place is that my neighbors prevented me from listening to speakers at a decent volume, much less using a sub. I am sure it is the same situation for many HeadiFiers.

Personally, I have come to prefer headphones. Many others, however, would undoubtably prefer listening to speakers (including a sub) if it were possible. Headphones+sub makes far less sense to me than either phones alone or speakers+sub.
post #70 of 246
These may not be audiophile grade, but for just bass, they may work fine:

AudioCubes.com - Sony MDR-XB700 Leak-Proof Headphones - MDR-XB700 -
post #71 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
These may not be audiophile grade, but for just bass, they may work fine:

AudioCubes.com - Sony MDR-XB700 Leak-Proof Headphones - MDR-XB700 -
I ordered these yesterday and I'll get them next week hopefully I'll try to compare them with 770pro.
post #72 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoart View Post
Then you believe wrong. I have been intom audio for more than 30 years, I played in my high school orchestra, both of my brothers are musicians, and I have attended many concerts (as well as acoustic jam sessions.)

Stand-up bass on the 770s sounds exactly as it does in real life (as do all other instruments.)
Then at some point in your life, I think someone kicked you in the head, and you lost the ability to distinguish balanced sound, and bass heavy, recessed mid sound.

And do you even read the impressions on this forum? HD650 are said to have a balanced bass response. Not bass heavy. Maybe kicked in the head, lost reading comprehension also.

Arguing with you is dumb on my part. Every single thread, as soon as it mentions bass, you haul ass fast as possible and spam the crud out of it with DT770 has perfect bass and are the be all, end all headphones over and over. And then repeatedly others explain you are wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. Blargh.
post #73 of 246
If you want to hear and feel the sticks striking the skins then the 650 with a decent amp and an Equinox 650 cable will do the trick. Real snappy, unlike the sound you get when some kid puts a couple of subs in the back of his Integra, that is Boomy(Distorted, Bloated)=(DT770), the combo I described has "IMPACT" and detail and the proper amount of weight. Just a thought.
post #74 of 246
"beats by dre"
post #75 of 246
I actually like my 325i's for the bass guitar. The bass guitar comes out really clean. The bass is definitely not strong on the 325i's, but I really like how it sounds. With a good amp I think the bass guitar is pretty enjoyable with the 325i's. However, I don't think I would recommend the 325i's just for that. I slightly prefer the bass guitar on my Audio-Technica ES7's because it has a more prominent low end. The bass isn't as clean sounding as the 325i's IMO, but it defintely has a nice growl to it. I can't really compare to other brands, but I enjoy the bass guitar on the ones I have now. I tried listening to my girlfriend's ibuds and the bass guitar sounded horrible. Extremely muddy and artificial. Just my .02
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I've Just Got to Have Bass!