Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I've Just Got to Have Bass!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've Just Got to Have Bass! - Page 10

post #136 of 246
I just finished reading this whole thread.

Thanks for the laughs, guys.
post #137 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonthouse View Post
Wrogno.
Every headphone with bass is unnatural, since bass is mostly "felt", not heard.
Ever heard a 20Hz tone on a headphone? Try it again with a decent subwoofer, then and only then you'll have experienced real bass.
That 20Hz tone will be precieved as 10% sound, 90% feeling.

If you really want that OMG WTF experience, you should use your headphones with a dedicated subwoofer and a crossover set just right.
Are you sure you meant to write this?
post #138 of 246
Yeah, or did you learn something else in your audio class? Ever dealt with some serious PA equipment and then listened the same song on your headphone? Go do your homework.
post #139 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic View Post
Ignoracne.

This is a false statment. Please no one take it seriosuly.
Prove it!! Did you ever hear what gets compressed out?
post #140 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonthouse View Post
Wrogno.
Every headphone with bass is unnatural, since bass is mostly "felt", not heard.
Ever heard a 20Hz tone on a headphone? Try it again with a decent subwoofer, then and only then you'll have experienced real bass.
That 20Hz tone will be precieved as 10% sound, 90% feeling.

If you really want that OMG WTF experience, you should use your headphones with a dedicated subwoofer and a crossover set just right.
Did you misquote or something, because this doesn't make any sense as a 'response' to my post.
post #141 of 246
My bad, you're right, I just edited that post. It was about the Bose and "Bose and DT770 doing it right" part that got me going
post #142 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonthouse View Post
Wrogno.
Every headphone with bass is doing it wrong, since bass is mostly "felt", not heard.
Ever heard a 20Hz tone on a headphone? Try it again with a decent subwoofer, then and only then you'll have experienced real bass.
That 20Hz tone will be precieved as 10% sound, 90% feeling.

If you really want that OMG WTF experience, you should use your headphones with a dedicated subwoofer and a crossover set just right.
No, that is just how you perceive bass. For me (and alot of others) its not about feeling the bass at all. For movies? Sure, but when I listen to a contrabass I don't want to be shaking in my seat, I don't shake in my seat if a real contrabass is playing in front of me . Furthermore the DT770/Bose was me being very sarcastic. I don't know if you have heard the SR-007? Or the GS-1000? Because then you will know what I'm talking about when I say, good natural bass. And PLEASE don't bring the subwoofer up again, I hate those things, I only use them for movies for cars exploding. Life doesn't sound like there is a subwoofer.
post #143 of 246
LOL...the PRO 900 have a cool bass, ask vvanrij's.
post #144 of 246
Quote:
No, that is just how you perceive bass. For me (and alot of others) its not about feeling the bass at all.
Umm if it's not there, then you're not experiencing it. Listen to treble drivers, that's nice and boomy free sound. A subwoofer does not just go BOOM CRASH but it also adds detail to other instruments. I have experienced more detailed bass on my PC Ultra 13 than I have on my RS-1 phones.

A few musical instruments DO have "feeling bass" the sub doesn't have to be set to "11" to enjoy it, dial it down a bit and it's still there, but the point is it's there not totally missing.
post #145 of 246
The bass can be there, but feeling it has to do with frequency + amplitude. On a headphone you can have the frequency, but not the amplitude because you'l go deaf. The rumbling is just the surrounding material that has the same vibrational frequency, and thus reacts to the frequency at a specific amplitude.

If you truly say you have heard more details from a subwoofer then from a RS1 then you should seriously visit an ear doctor, because that is just not normal. I'm guessing you are majorly hyperboling here to prove your point.

If I look at some of the best hifi setup's around here (and I'm talking about speakers now), I don't see any subwoofers there at all. The better speakers can produce sounds also at 20hz with authority, subwoofer is most of the times just a cheaper way (mono, single task etc.).
post #146 of 246
Quote:
If you truly say you have heard more details from a subwoofer then from a RS1 then you should seriously visit an ear doctor, because that is just not normal. I'm guessing you are majorly hyperboling here to prove your point.
You know perfectly what I meant, the sub can reproduce low bass that the RS-1's cannot. Obviously ignoring higher frequencies.

I at least have a system to compare it, yet yourself are so "wise" just want to dismiss it. Who'ss the one wearing blinkers?
post #147 of 246
Why are you so fond of making assumptions based on nothing? I never said I don't have a good subwoofer? I'm glad you have a system to compare it, but so do I, and so do several others, yet you are one of the only ones coming to this weird conclusion of yours. I'v told you again and again what I'm basing my dismissal on, but you just ignore that. Anyway I'm done 'arguing' with the people that are just spreading 'the truth' without any knowledge or experience at all. Have a good one.

You guys are really confusing "RESONANCE" with sound. Resonance is a by-product of sound, and would not excist if there is nothing to pickup the sound. If you were in a acousticly perfect room, and your body would be isolated from the sound, NOTHING would resonate (thus vibrate, thus 'tummy rumbling'), but the SOUND would be the exact same, thus natural!
post #148 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvanrij View Post
If I look at some of the best hifi setup's around here (and I'm talking about speakers now), I don't see any subwoofers there at all. The better speakers can produce sounds also at 20hz with authority, subwoofer is most of the times just a cheaper way (mono, single task etc.).
Yeah, that's because they got dedicated woofers in them with proper crossover, some times even dual or triple woofers. Go check your local high-end audio store If you paid some attention to those best hifi setups, you'd have seen that there were multiple conuses in each speaker cabinet. A tweeter, mid range speaker and woofer.

And about precieving bass, what did you learn? That bass is solely precieved by the ear? Please..
I was near that fireworks explosion here that destroyed nearly a whole city block. I sure felt the blast. And trust me, there were plenty of bass tones flying around.
Try standing next to a good drummer while he's playing. You'll feel the kickbass and whatnot, and when you listen the same song he was playing on your headphones, you'll notice that something is missing.
That's right, the feeling is missing.

Our ears aren't meant for headphone music, not even for music in general! Our ears are made for hearing the human voice, the rest is just "collateral damage". Ever noticed that you can tell where people are standing when they're talking to you, even with your eyes closed? Try the same thing with a 100dB 50Hz tone in a big hall. By then you'll notice that you can't tell the difference between right in front of you or behind you.

For example, try your headphones with only one earcup on your ear/earpiece in your ear. You'll notice that the bass isn't as rich as with both earcups on/earpieces in. That's because the brain can't interpert bass from only one side. It's unnatural. Same goes for bass without the tummy rumbling

So if you REALLY want great bass, go with speakers. Headphones simply can't achieve that same experience.
post #149 of 246
You have a good sub? Where? You have a whole room full of headphones, but where is your nice seperate gear?

The only reasons I've heard are nonsecile petty insults, such as bass heads, chav car windows rattling etc. When my sub is on I can't bear it "booming away" whatever you want to believe, it's just extending to below what the speakers can do (around 35hz I think) Your point about Hi-Fi people don't have subs is because they're old school, most refuse point blank about using one. I at least try one out.

Sounds like snobbery and stubborness to me.

Quote:
you'd have seen that there were multiple conuses in each speaker cabinet. A tweeter, mid range speaker and woofer.
That's true the biggest full-range speakers will have big drivers in them, either dedicated active subwoofers (Definitive Technology) or passive driven off a seperate amplifier- not the same amp used for treble, midrange or upper bass. However to also throw another discussion about bass from two sources, a single source may be easier to tame. And being that ultra low bass is non directional stereo subs (or full range speakers) may not be ideal.
post #150 of 246
When your main speakers can go as low as 20 Hz or lower at sufficient SPL you don't need a sub. You will benefit from a sub if your main speakers can't get that low at sufficient SPL. Those Hifi people most likely has 4-way speakers. The driver that handle sub frequency range is built into it making extra sub not necessary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I've Just Got to Have Bass!