Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Diana Krall Hater's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Diana Krall Hater's Club - Page 7

post #91 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexico View Post
Neko Case sounds great with the New Pornographers I don't like her own album(s?), but that's because of the genre.
New Pornographers are horrible as well as far as I am concerned. But I do not listen to that kind of stuff anyway.
post #92 of 106

The keyboard facility of Nat King Cole is often overlooked while Diana Krall, whose voice competes with her piano to see which is more risk averse and improvisationally challenged, receives praise for supposed ivory hawt-ness.

 

Combining two mediocre skill sets does not a great solo artist make.

 

What's your estimation of half-tempo boredomfest, Cassandra Wilson?

 

Care to wager her next album, and ten Grammys after that, contain slow and low ("CW has a deep voice *just like* Nina Simone!") covers of Van Morrison tunes which folks of a certain age got laid to at liberal arts college back in the day?

 

"What? BOB DYLAN?! Jazz me, girl!"

 

"Here's -- oh my!-- a country song! Clattering rhythm, absence of dynamics will allow me to showcase amateur musicology to a woman young enough to be my daughter. Perhaps mentioning who Hank Williams, Sr. is, and how he died will distract this May love interest from my receding hairline and ample paunch? 'I am engaging and hip! You _could_ learn a lot from me, SWEET THING!' Child support and alimony explain the shabby apartment but, honestly, who could overlook a quality record collection?"

 

Cassandra murmurs a version of "Last Train to Clarksville" as shapeless as M. Travers's moo moo at Carnegie Hall.

 

Each different, yet exactly the same. They have to be ;) 

 

"The Monkees were a Beatles knock off. We knew they didn't play their own instruments. Bad taste is an indication of good, see? I appreciated them ironically."

 

"Do you know what 'irony' means, dear'? 'Education major' you said? I like kids, too." [Oops! Shouldn't have said... Hopefully, she won't peg that Peter, Paul and Mary reference. And, we're passed out from too many wine coolers.]

 

"I'll get a pillows and a blanket. She already has 'Daddy issues'. Restraint. Maybe I'll get lucky, later?"

 

Abbey Lincoln and Max Roach shout from heaven: "Your sock drawer needs re-arranging NOOOOOOWWWW!!!! WHAAAA!!!!!!"

 

That's the reason unmusical pseudo jazz ******** is popular. Forgive the meta role playing scenario. It was the most concise way I could think of to explain. I don't think it demeans any monster talents who've backed Mrs. Elvis Costello. Russell Malone, Christian McBride, et al. have bills. I'm sure those guys pull out brandy snifters and laugh. "Hey! Shhh! Ha! HA!! You know who paid for the VSOP? My phone won't ring soon enough, baby."

 

It's how top tier sidemen cover the rare poker night they have together when there isn't a flight to catch.

 

It's also because well n' thoroughly over-the-hill critics are white knuckling it only slightly above aging farts who had jobs as college radio DJs, and, so ersatz "fans" can console themselves with shared affectation. We need an appropriate soundtrack for dinner parties. Bland background music matches the chicken. I suspect that a lot of wife swapping is inspired by Diana Krall, too. You're exhausted by that tiresome voice and tedious piano of hers. The meal was unsatisfying. You're too drunk to drive home.

 

What else is there?

 

Cheers!


Edited by jazzblzharp - 9/8/12 at 5:02pm
post #93 of 106

sign me up, i get that unlike many she cares about the recording quality so they do sound good but my god, she just is the most tedious singer.  stop with all the "ohh im all sexy" breathey husky dragging everything tiny bloody thing out. 

 

Fcuks sake woman could you sound any less enthused about what your "singing"

 

they need to give her 10 espressos then record her.

post #94 of 106

While I agree that the old jazz legends were vastly superior than the likes of the night Kraller, many of those the recordings are so horrible that often I can't stand playing them so the content is wasted.

post #95 of 106

i am fine with her voice when she sings it straight forward in a song like I MISS YOU SO...biggrin.gif

 

But when she starts to dragggg the words, n droool over them in a song like PEEL ME A GRAPE,

thats when i find the going tough...she just doesnt look trampy enough. tongue_smile.gif

post #96 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzblzharp View Post

The keyboard facility of Nat King Cole is often overlooked while Diana Krall, whose voice competes with her piano to see which is more risk averse and improvisationally challenged, receives praise for supposed ivory hawt-ness.

 

Combining two mediocre skill sets does not a great solo artist make.

 

What's your estimation of half-tempo boredomfest, Cassandra Wilson?

 

Care to wager her next album, and ten Grammys after that, contain slow and low ("CW has a deep voice *just like* Nina Simone!") covers of Van Morrison tunes which folks of a certain age got laid to at liberal arts college back in the day?

 

"What? BOB DYLAN?! Jazz me, girl!"

 

"Here's -- oh my!-- a country song! Clattering rhythm, absence of dynamics will allow me to showcase amateur musicology to a woman young enough to be my daughter. Perhaps mentioning who Hank Williams, Sr. is, and how he died will distract this May love interest from my receding hairline and ample paunch? 'I am engaging and hip! You _could_ learn a lot from me, SWEET THING!' Child support and alimony explain the shabby apartment but, honestly, who could overlook a quality record collection?"

 

Cassandra murmurs a version of "Last Train to Clarksville" as shapeless as M. Travers's moo moo at Carnegie Hall.

 

Each different, yet exactly the same. They have to be ;) 

 

"The Monkees were a Beatles knock off. We knew they didn't play their own instruments. Bad taste is an indication of good, see? I appreciated them ironically."

 

"Do you know what 'irony' means, dear'? 'Education major' you said? I like kids, too." [Oops! Shouldn't have said... Hopefully, she won't peg that Peter, Paul and Mary reference. And, we're passed out from too many wine coolers.]

 

"I'll get a pillows and a blanket. She already has 'Daddy issues'. Restraint. Maybe I'll get lucky, later?"

 

Abbey Lincoln and Max Roach shout from heaven: "Your sock drawer needs re-arranging NOOOOOOWWWW!!!! WHAAAA!!!!!!"

 

That's the reason unmusical pseudo jazz ******** is popular. Forgive the meta role playing scenario. It was the most concise way I could think of to explain. I don't think it demeans any monster talents who've backed Mrs. Elvis Costello. Russell Malone, Christian McBride, et al. have bills. I'm sure those guys pull out brandy snifters and laugh. "Hey! Shhh! Ha! HA!! You know who paid for the VSOP? My phone won't ring soon enough, baby."

 

It's how top tier sidemen cover the rare poker night they have together when there isn't a flight to catch.

 

It's also because well n' thoroughly over-the-hill critics are white knuckling it only slightly above aging farts who had jobs as college radio DJs, and, so ersatz "fans" can console themselves with shared affectation. We need an appropriate soundtrack for dinner parties. Bland background music matches the chicken. I suspect that a lot of wife swapping is inspired by Diana Krall, too. You're exhausted by that tiresome voice and tedious piano of hers. The meal was unsatisfying. You're too drunk to drive home.

 

What else is there?

 

Cheers!

There there now.....feel better? That's a lot of anger from a first time (one time?) poster who felt the need to resuscitate a 31 month old thread.

post #97 of 106

I have found the right place...

If I hear Diana Krall on one more hifi setup I will go Michael Douglas in Falling Down!

This type of boring audiophile elevator music is the antitheses of what music is about. Music is the suppose to convey emotions. This sleepy jazz nonsense on the other hand to me just convey that feeling of nothing or sometimes when you have after you've eaten too much of good food and wished you had stopped 10 minutes earlier, before you where too full and slightly nauseated and tired. 

 The more gear centric people get the less music centric I've they tend to be, and a few go so far as to stop listening to music all together.

I just get a sad feeling when I hear people listening to this or any other mediocre music just because how well it's produced and not because they see a musical value. How could it go so far and turn out so wrong?

post #98 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

I have found the right place...

If I hear Diana Krall on one more hifi setup I will go Michael Douglas in Falling Down!

This type of boring audiophile elevator music is the antitheses of what music is about. Music is the suppose to convey emotions. This sleepy jazz nonsense on the other hand to me just convey that feeling of nothing or sometimes when you have after you've eaten too much of good food and wished you had stopped 10 minutes earlier, before you where too full and slightly nauseated and tired. 

 The more gear centric people get the less music centric I've they tend to be, and a few go so far as to stop listening to music all together.

I just get a sad feeling when I hear people listening to this or any other mediocre music just because how well it's produced and not because they see a musical value. How could it go so far and turn out so wrong?

 

I have to agree.. although there are probably people who geniunely like Diana Krall's music, it just doesn't do anything for me, and I've really tried to get into it.

post #99 of 106

post #100 of 106

Wow jazzblzharp quite the first post.....can't decide if it's brilliant or disturbed....

post #101 of 106

Pretty brilliant if you ask me.

I admire people who can express them self in that poetic circle around the topic way and still manage to be very much on point and get the criticism through.

post #102 of 106

I'm not a huge Krall fanboy, but seeing this thread made me want to listen to her again. She really does have some great songs.

post #103 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post

I'm not a huge Krall fanboy, but seeing this thread made me want to listen to her again. She really does have some great songs.

 

Seriously name one that pass the bar above utterly mediocre?

post #104 of 106

Dull, inauthentic drivel. I'm glad this thread exists because I was contemplating starting one myself. Since joining Head-Fi I've come to despise Dion Krall as much as I do Adele and Beth Hart.

post #105 of 106

Audiophile music gives me the runs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Diana Krall Hater's Club