or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Goldpoint Headphone Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Goldpoint Headphone Pro - Page 18

post #256 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
Who is Satine?
She is the pacifist Duchess of Mandalore.
post #257 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.M View Post
so how well does the goldpoint do with the DT990's?
The GP is great with my DT880s (both 03 and 600OHM)!
post #258 of 357
I have the DT990 600 Ohm + the Goldpoint and the sound is great. But to be honest i've only tried them with the Goldpoint so I have no idea if it drives them well compared to another amp.
post #259 of 357
Last Friday Kees and I tested Goldpoint v2 vs v5. We agreed the v5 is a bit more homogeneous sounding. The difference was small though.
post #260 of 357
You didn't get a sense of higher resolution.. Blacker back ground? & better decay on instruments? I thought the up grade was worthy, & is easily enough to justify what I paid for it.. Arn is a straight shooter.. He says it's a noticeable improvement, & to my ears, & my headphones he is correct..
post #261 of 357
Just shipped my v3 to Arn for the upgrade. Arn is pretty sure this will be the final and ultimate enhancement necessary for the Headphone Pro.

F. Lo
post #262 of 357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
You didn't get a sense of higher resolution.. Blacker back ground? & better decay on instruments? I thought the up grade was worthy, & is easily enough to justify what I paid for it.. Arn is a straight shooter.. He says it's a noticeable improvement, & to my ears, & my headphones he is correct..
There is a difference and we both noticed it. It is only that the difference is less noticable on his 600 Ohm DT880 than on lower impedance phones. So for him the upgrade may just not be as worthwhile as for others. Beside that, the cost for us in EU for the upgrade is considerably higher than for folks in the US...
The difference is much more noticable on my Grado Magnum. What I found most niticable is a more homogenous sound, more liquid. A slightly smaller soundstage maybe, but better positioning.
post #263 of 357
Pro 900/DX 1000?
post #264 of 357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
Pro 900/DX 1000?
Better imaging. The sound is mellower and to my ears slightly warmer. I may imagine it, but also a bit less open and spacious than it used to be I think. In my perception the difference is mostly to be found in the lower midrange and bass regions.
post #265 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
You didn't get a sense of higher resolution.. Blacker back ground? & better decay on instruments? I thought the up grade was worthy, & is easily enough to justify what I paid for it.. Arn is a straight shooter.. He says it's a noticeable improvement, & to my ears, & my headphones he is correct..
It definitely is a noticeable improvement, but really not a big one. I completely agree with Kees. The mids seem to be "put in place" and overall it's just a more homogeneous sound, more relaxed if you will. That's not to say it loses snap and attack.

About the price of the upgrade and whether or not it's worth it. First of all for us in the EU the upgrade is pretty expensive. You'll have to pay shipping costs, costs of the upgrade and lust but certainly least import taxes. For you in the USA the upgrade is a lot cheaper and I probably would have upgraded.
When I was at Kees's I asked him if he would have got the upgrade now that he heard both v2 and v5. He said he probably would and I am pretty sure I would not (student on a budget ). Different stuff fits different needs and wallets.
post #266 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Better imaging. The sound is mellower and to my ears slightly warmer. I may imagine it, but also a bit less open and spacious than it used to be I think. In my perception the difference is mostly to be found in the lower midrange and bass regions.
Sounds like it could benefit the Pro 900 but not sure if the DX 1000 need more warmness since I want a bit more treble out of it...

hmmm. But did you both have to pay VAT? As I understand it if you sent a product in for warranty repair or similar you shouldn´t have to pay VAT as long as you can show the receipt for sending it in?

Did you pay VAT for the full amount or for 150$ or what the upgrade costs?
post #267 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
There is a difference and we both noticed it. It is only that the difference is less noticable on his 600 Ohm DT880 than on lower impedance phones. So for him the upgrade may just not be as worthwhile as for others. Beside that, the cost for us in EU for the upgrade is considerably higher than for folks in the US...
The difference is much more noticable on my Grado Magnum. What I found most niticable is a more homogenous sound, more liquid. A slightly smaller soundstage maybe, but better positioning.
Yeah.. I tried it with 25ohm headphones.
post #268 of 357
Anything new happening... Still pondering if I should upgrade or not. I am a bit worried when I read smaller soundstage. Afraid it will ruin the ED 8 mainly that don´t have that much to cut from in that regard lol
It also have already somewhat forward mids I feel. Liquid they are already. Some honey to it even. But then they do perform great unamped so should perhaps not be affected that much...

Pro 900 sometimes get a bit bright on the GHP. DX 1000 on the other hand have significantly rolled off treble Is the treble untouched with the upgrade? Bass on the DX 1000 does it protrude more into the mid range or is they just getting more lush then ever?

Do you preferr both with the upgraded version KeeS?
post #269 of 357
I recently got a pair of Grado's HF-2 (32 ohms). When I plug them in my Goldpoint amp I hear a hissing sound in the right channel. I can also hear it with my AKG 702 (62 ohms) but barely. I don't hear it at all with my DT990 (600 ohms). Anyone else has this problem with their Goldpoint amp ?
post #270 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattesp View Post
I recently got a pair of Grado's HF-2 (32 ohms). When I plug them in my Goldpoint amp I hear a hissing sound in the right channel. I can also hear it with my AKG 702 (62 ohms) but barely. I don't hear it at all with my DT990 (600 ohms). Anyone else has this problem with their Goldpoint amp ?
My Headphone Pro-V returned with the Version 5 upgrade and I have a short listen with my Grado RS-1. To my ears, the upgrade is worth. It is not day and night but there seems to be more weight, a little better resolution, and a little bit more air. Overall, the sonic character remains the same but just better.

I do not hear any hiss at all. Even with the version 3 the noise floor of my Headphone Pro-V is deadly quiet. And if you only hear hiss on one channel that I guess it is more like associated with cable joints and connections.

Regards,
F. Lo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Goldpoint Headphone Pro