Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tube rolling recommendation for EF1? - Page 3

post #31 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by beez View Post
hmm, cool thanks. what's the difference between short plates and long plates? also the amp was only $200 for me. will spending 40 or 80 dollars or so on a different tube make a significant difference in the sound? i don't have much experience with tube rolling as this is my first amp, so i'm just not sure what to expect in terms of difference of quality and sound signature.
It will probably be better than swapping amps and headphones till your blue in the face. If you buy a Mullard and you hate it (next to impossible) then sell it. Someone will want that tube, probably someone in this thread. Or this one http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/abs...7/#post4900559
post #32 of 317
I just bought an EF1. Already own a DOGE 6210 which uses 12AX7's and have a small collection of tubes.

Maybe this is stupid, but... can I swap in my 12AX7's for the stock 12AU7? Or do they have too much gain? Not sure how compatible these two types are in hi-fi amps and don't want to wreck the new guy!

-LB
post #33 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
further listening, I really don't like the JJ tube.
This is no surprise to me. I couldn't understand why anyone liked them. Considering how inexpensive NOS 12AU7's are, and how much better they are than current production tubes like the JJ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennybrisco View Post
I just bought an EF1. Already own a DOGE 6210 which uses 12AX7's and have a small collection of tubes.

Maybe this is stupid, but... can I swap in my 12AX7's for the stock 12AU7? Or do they have too much gain? Not sure how compatible these two types are in hi-fi amps and don't want to wreck the new guy!

-LB
I wouldn't. The 12AU7 and 12AX7 are somewhat similar, and there is a possibility that it might function without causing a serious problem, but the odds of it working fine and sounding good are slim. Using a 12AX7 in a circuit designed for a 12AU7 is asking for trouble and unlikely to provide any real benefit.

The good news is the 12AU7 isn't that expensive a tube.
post #34 of 317
Not tubes, but opamps rather. If you can, make sure you toss an AD743JN in there. I just went back and tossed the AD8599 in there for good measure after not replacing it for a long while. Ugh. Really murky sound.
post #35 of 317
I think I'm going to get a La Radiotechnique 12AU7 since they're so cheap compared to the Mullard long plates (Most atleast, I lost an auction for one - I bid $25 and it went for $26 ) and seem to be in plentiful supply right now. One place I found them for $29 each, supposedly cryo. I've read mixed things on cryo tubes, anyone care to share their experience with the difference between the two? I think I might get one of each to see for myself what difference, if any, cryo treatments make.
post #36 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by somestranger26 View Post
I think I'm going to get a La Radiotechnique 12AU7 since they're so cheap compared to the Mullard long plates (Most atleast, I lost an auction for one - I bid $25 and it went for $26 ) and seem to be in plentiful supply right now. One place I found them for $29 each, supposedly cryo. I've read mixed things on cryo tubes, anyone care to share their experience with the difference between the two? I think I might get one of each to see for myself what difference, if any, cryo treatments make.
Go for a short plate.
post #37 of 317
IMHO, cryo-treating vintage tubes is a really bad idea. Can't help, and could damage them.
post #38 of 317
the cheapest place I can find for a new, tested, low noise/microphonics guranteed Mullard CV4003, is upscaleaudio.com. At about 40 bucks, maybe it can be had cheaper on ebay, not sure, I got my tubes off ebay, but I don't really know what they are, other then ecc82 mullard and brimar.
post #39 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by somestranger26 View Post
Does anyone else have anything to say about the Telefunken Smooth Plate tubes? Based on olblueyez's description it seems like a tube that would match well with Ultrasone headphones.
I have a matched quad of those for my Woo GES and they are wonderful with my Stax O2 headphones. I don't want to risk messing up one of the four tubes trying it but I can say it is a great tube.
post #40 of 317
i just picked up this mullard great britain from ebay for $13 shipped. are they normally this cheap or is there something i'm missing in the item? is this a decent tube? i figured for 13 dollars i couldn't really go wrong...

12AU7 / ECC82 Mullard Great Britain - eBay (item 330307996896 end time Feb-16-09 14:13:49 PST)
post #41 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by beez View Post
i just picked up this mullard great britain from ebay for $13 shipped. are they normally this cheap or is there something i'm missing in the item? is this a decent tube? i figured for 13 dollars i couldn't really go wrong...

12AU7 / ECC82 Mullard Great Britain - eBay (item 330307996896 end time Feb-16-09 14:13:49 PST)
Your not missing a thing, it went cheap because its not part of a set and because it doesnt measure new. Good find.
post #42 of 317
awesome, thanks. between this new tube and hiflight's opamp/tube kit that should get here in a few days, i'll have a few new options to play around with my ef1. i'm excited, but my grades and my wallet probably aren't gonna be loving it
post #43 of 317
I'm using the stock 12AU7 with the EF1 which is the Sylvania Conn Branded
To me it is very good, really nice soundstage, warm and smooth. But I have no idea how good it is compare to other tubes, or that just might be the sound of the amp itself.
It's seems like the Mullard GB is what I looking for.
So are there anyone have tried Sylvania conn branded with other tubes?
post #44 of 317
double post
post #45 of 317
sylvania tube is great! compared with mullard it seems to have wider soundstage and mids are a bit brighter. mullard is smoother and mids are pushed foward a bit with tighter soundstage. both are excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?