If you haven't tried it, you may want to try your J2 in unbalanced mode, as many people report preferring their First Watt amps unbalanced :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEddie Current Balancing Acttagged by joe, 1/27/15
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 7/17/14 at 1:10am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Woo Audio WA22 vs Eddie Current Balancing Act? Last post on 7/21/13 at 10:43am in High-end Audio Forum
- Eddie Current, question for owners... Last post on 6/24/12 at 6:48am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7 Last post on 5/5/14 at 6:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Construction, Materials, and Comfort: For starters, the protein leather is extremely soft and supple, and makes the ear pads and headband luxurious to touch. Heat retention actually isn't as bad...
I originally bought these after my earphones that came with my phone broke. After receiving these I was extremely pleased with the bass: it was boomy, punchy and felt powerful. These were also very...
I am an amateur recording engineer that mainly uses a laptop pc on location with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. The bus power is no doubt as noisy as a baby with a full diaper that's up way past...
NOTE: This is my first review and I'm a budding audio enthusiast. This is no pro review, just a newb trying to put audio nuances to words. These are my first pair of Balanced Armatures and I am...
Background In about 1990, when Joseph Grado was designing his HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner (perfectly-matched pair of microphones for recording), he needed some detailed, neutral...
Eddie Current Balancing Act - Page 75
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I really can't catch a break lately...
I just put my headphones on, and low and behold, I'm getting a sporadic staticy hiss from the left driver. It's a 4-5 second hiss that ends with a static 'click,' then it stops.
This noise still persists intermittently when the volume is set to the minimum (with no discernible pattern).
I posted a while back, when I first got my PX4s, that the left tube itself emits an audible pinging sound for the first 5 minutes or so, during warm up. I just find it coincidental that I'm now hearing static through the left headphone driver now.
The PX4s are a month shy of a year old.
Any advice or insight would be highly appreciated.
I tried sending a few texts, making a phone call, and browsing the web over wifi, but it didn't replicate the noise. Hopefully it was just a fluke, or some external interference, and won't happen again.
GMF2010, I had this happen - you're lucky it's only intermittent. Mine nearly deafened my left ear with a sudden blast of interference. I emailed Craig at the time and he said a bad 6x4 could definitely cause this problem. I replaced the pair and it all went away. It was the pair that Craig supplied too -- you just never know with tubes...
Now I have my own question - I used the RCA loop-outs before and I don't remember them shutting off the headphone amp section. But now whenever there's an RCA cable attached to the loop-outs, I get no sound out of the headphone outs even when the dial is on "cans." Wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or if I blew a switch. Thanks for any insight.
I'm quite satisfied with the output quality. While other amps will sound different, there's nothing "wrong" with the HE-6/BA combo.
That's only until you hear them through good speaker amps..
I strongly recommend you don't try one, coz you know what you'll have to eat.
Same with the K1000's imho. I don't use my BA to drive my K1000's as i don't believe there is enough grunt/gain - call it whatever you like. It doesn't sound nearly as good as say using the speaker connectors of my Nelson Watt F5 clone with the K1000's. Just about everything else is fine (i haven't tried every single model of headphone). All of the other headphones i own the BA is sublime. If there is something special one must do to get more from their BA to drive a set of K1000's adequately then i am all ears .. :-)
You could use a 6SL7 for more gain...
I happen to agree, I think there are better amps out there for the hardest to drive cans - but its a pick and choose thing, and I'm very happy with an amp that drives everything up to and including the HD800 sublimely.
As opposed to a 6SN7? Do you need an adapter for a 6SL7 to fit into the 6SN7 socket? Have you tried this personally?
Yes, as opposed to 6SN7. No adapter necessary. I've tried it personally, as have a few others on this thread. If you search the thread for 6SL7 you should find some posts relating to it.
The other option (which is more costly) is to use a source which outputs higher voltage. I recall seeing some that can do 2.6/5.2V which would be pretty darn loud with the HE-6/K1000, with the sacrifice being how much you can play with the BA's volume for more efficient headphones (with the source volume set to max.)
- Eddie Current Balancing Act
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Fiio E18 & Ultrasone HFI-780 55 seconds ago
- › Really not impressed with my recent Shure 425 purchase? 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)