Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!! - Page 30

post #436 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

 

Yes, with the oval pads they are brighter, have you got the foam with the pads or just the net?

I didn't even got the net, so just foam.

post #437 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

I didn't even got the net, so just foam.

 

Cool, because I got the net...and I think I'll prefer the foam. Have you compare it to the 650's foam in terms of thickness? I think I can get the 650's foam in Israel.

post #438 of 920
I love the look of these, they look like a Sega Genesis turned into headphones. Maybe some day I will get to experience the sound.
post #439 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

So I have the oval pads, and have listened to these for a couple of hours.

They are a bit brighter than the stock pads, but sibilance isn't much more pronounced. The soundstage is a bit more enhanced, but the comfort is the biggest improvement! These headphones went from relatively comfortable, to insanely comfortable! Also the oval pads look pretty awesome.

 

I am actually eq-ing the peeks out of the frequency response of the gmp.835D. Basically cutting about 5 db between 4-10 Khz. This takes care of all sibilance, and makes them sound much more neutral obviously.

I have been away from home today and yesterday, so I got to use my GMP 8.35 with my iphone a lot. I am using the app EQU for it's awesome equalizer and the sound is just amazing. The volume (at 90% of the maximum output power of the iphone) is perfect, it won't be able to shake your ears with bass but for a neutral sound it's more than loud enough.

 

 

Did I mention I sold the HD650? :)

 

 

Agree, the oval pads are super comfy... but after 4 years they got a bit flat maybe is time to pimp them up. about the iphone its sounds awesome even with 80% of the volume, is loud enough for me.

post #440 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

 

Agree, the oval pads are super comfy... but after 4 years they got a bit flat maybe is time to pimp them up. about the iphone its sounds awesome even with 80% of the volume, is loud enough for me.

Do you trim it 5 db between 4 KHZ and 8 KHZ? That makes me turn it to 90%, otherwise it is fatiguing. 

 

And the foam seems to be exactly the same for the oval pads, as on the stock pads. The only difference is that the foam isn't sewed to the pads directly as on the stock pads.

 

And after 4 years all pads should get a little flatter I guess!

post #441 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Do you trim it 5 db between 4 KHZ and 8 KHZ? That makes me turn it to 90%, otherwise it is fatiguing. 

 

And the foam seems to be exactly the same for the oval pads, as on the stock pads. The only difference is that the foam isn't sewed to the pads directly as on the stock pads.

 

And after 4 years all pads should get a little flatter I guess!

 

Using EQ bring up a lot of problems, if you add any EQ the most common problems are more distortion, noise and sibilance, and eventually you'll get fatiguing... and this can cause a massive build up pressure and you can get hearing loss.

 

If you cut with EQ, you'll almost automatically can get too loud by trying to compensate for the loss of those db's, and this is very dangerous and also can cause hearing loss.

 

On the other hand for me is important to know and to memorize the sound FR, but not worth the cost of the hearing loss.

post #442 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

Using EQ bring up a lot of problems, if you add any EQ the most common problems are more distortion, noise and sibilance, and eventually you'll get fatiguing... and this can cause a massive build up pressure and you can get hearing loss.

 

If you cut with EQ, you'll almost automatically can get too loud by trying to compensate for the loss of those db's, and this is very dangerous and also can cause hearing loss.

 

On the other hand for me is important to know and to memorize the sound FR, but not worth the cost of the hearing loss.

 

 

There is a peak between 5Khz and 10Khz of about 6 db. If I turn these frequencies down by 6 db, I can turn the volume up by 6 db without increasing the total volume.

post #443 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

 

 

There is a peak between 5Khz and 10Khz of about 6 db. If I turn these frequencies down by 6 db, I can turn the volume up by 6 db without increasing the total volume.

Either those are very bright headphones, or you're just used to the darker sound of the hd650. I have the same issue with the v6, which is very bright. I have to cut almost 5 dB around 4khz to make them listenable. They're much too bright and fatiguing  without some eq. FWIR, the 7509 fixes the issues that people had with the 7506/v6 and is a better phone overall. Did you have that same issue with brightness when you had the shure 840? 

post #444 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

 

 

There is a peak between 5Khz and 10Khz of about 6 db. If I turn these frequencies down by 6 db, I can turn the volume up by 6 db without increasing the total volume.

 

 

Right, but then you'll end up with 9-10 db boost on the 80Hz, and the same on the 150Hz. Lets say you will get down the 80, and the 150Hz by 6db, now as a mastering engineer sometimes I need to boost the 30Hz, and the 1.5kHz by 3db...in this case you'll get a boost off 9-10db on those frequencies, and eventually they will get out of balanced with the 6dbs that you already cut before, even if you use a good EQ analyzer and you'll try to balanced every song that come in your way you'll end up with a messy and unpleasant listening experience.

post #445 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz View Post

Either those are very bright headphones, or you're just used to the darker sound of the hd650. I have the same issue with the v6, which is very bright. I have to cut almost 5 dB around 4khz to make them listenable. They're much too bright and fatiguing  without some eq. FWIR, the 7509 fixes the issues that people had with the 7506/v6 and is a better phone overall. Did you have that same issue with brightness when you had the shure 840? 

I don't think I had the same problem with the SRH840s, but it was a very long time ago and I was still used to the beyer's dt770 pro 80 ohm super sibilant headphone.

But the stock pads are less bright than the oval pads, with the oval pads it wasn't necessary to cut in the 6Khz region. 

But I still can't get over the pure SQ on these phones.

post #446 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

 

Right, but then you'll end up with 9-10 db boost on the 80Hz, and the same on the 150Hz. Lets say you will get down the 80, and the 150Hz by 6db, now as a mastering engineer sometimes I need to boost the 30Hz, and the 1.5kHz by 3db...in this case you'll get a boost off 9-10db on those frequencies, and eventually they will get out of balanced with the 6dbs that you already cut before, even if you use a good EQ analyzer and you'll try to balanced every song that come in your way you'll end up with a messy and unpleasant listening experience.

I can imagine that using any eq whilst mastering is a pretty dangerous thing. I guess you should listen through full sized monitors first, and then use headphones to check sibilance etc? Or do you actually use them to fully master a song? And you're right about the bass boost, but I don't mind a little bass boost, and the volume isn't so loud that it is damaging my hearing. I hope.

I have noticed that these headphones don't leak Any sound. I can turn the volume way up, higher than comfortable, and my girlfriend sitting 2 meters from me in a silent room can't hear anything.

 

FIY I'm getting new speaker stand tomorrow :D

post #447 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

I can imagine that using any eq whilst mastering is a pretty dangerous thing. I guess you should listen through full sized monitors first, and then use headphones to check sibilance etc? Or do you actually use them to fully master a song? And you're right about the bass boost, but I don't mind a little bass boost, and the volume isn't so loud that it is damaging my hearing. I hope.

I have noticed that these headphones don't leak Any sound. I can turn the volume way up, higher than comfortable, and my girlfriend sitting 2 meters from me in a silent room can't hear anything.

 

FIY I'm getting new speaker stand tomorrow :D

 

Yes, I'm using hps to check sibilance, to use only hps can be deceiving. The isolation level to the outside is a top notch, I think with the original pads the isolation is a bit better.

post #448 of 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

Yes, I'm using hps to check sibilance, to use only hps can be deceiving. The isolation level to the outside is a top notch, I think with the original pads the isolation is a bit better.

I did do an AB test for isolation and there wasn't much noticable difference. The oval pads isolate maybe 1 db less? But the oval pads still leak no sound at all.

So what kind of monitors are you using?

post #449 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

I did do an AB test for isolation and there wasn't much noticable difference. The oval pads isolate maybe 1 db less? But the oval pads still leak no sound at all.

So what kind of monitors are you using?

 

I use the Adam A7, and the KRK V8. The differences between the pads in terms of isolation are not so big, but my girlfriend was still able to hear some hi hats coming out and she was about 1.5m from me, and this compare to the original that was dead silence.

post #450 of 920
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

I love the look of these, they look like a Sega Genesis turned into headphones. Maybe some day I will get to experience the sound.

 

lol, they're definitely 16 bit, I adore the 80's space age look.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!