Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!! - Page 23

post #331 of 955
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissglut View Post

Hi,

the 8.300D are 30 € cheaper than the 8.35D. Would you recommend them, too? I'm using a modded Indeed/Bravo like amp at the moment, so power shouldn't be a problem.

On my Sennheisers I prefer the velour pads for comfort and I've seen German Maestro offers 2 velour pad options: One has "Special: Flipside perforated Soft Foil". What's the differende here and which one should I get?

 


 

Well...you can get the both and return one of them, both got the same FR (20 - 27.400 Hz). Maybe the 300ohm should be with more dynamic, but on the other hand the 8.35D drivers have a great dynamic for 35ohm hps. I didn't like so much the velour pads because I lost same bass in the overall sound presentation.

post #332 of 955

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I got a response from GM about the 2 phones. It translates to:

 

Quote:
Because of the combination of different driver systems and ear pads both phones have a entirely different acoustic tuning.
Also the 2 different velour ear pads radically alter the sound of the phones and they cannot recommend a combination because that depends on my personal preference.

 

So perhaps I should give the 8.300D with standard pads a try first.

 

PS: I'm looking for a full size alternative to my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II because after long listening it often gets uncomfortable. Mostly because it clamps the temple arms of my glasses between my ears and my head. I really like the sound of the Sennheiser though.

Do you think the GM will fit for it? At least the review at headfonia.com gives me that impression. An alternative would be the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro in the same price range (149 €, compared to the 129 and 159 € of the GMs).

post #333 of 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissglut View Post

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I got a response from GM about the 2 phones. It translates to:

 

 

So perhaps I should give the 8.300D with standard pads a try first.

 

PS: I'm looking for a full size alternative to my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II because after long listening it often gets uncomfortable. Mostly because it clamps the temple arms of my glasses between my ears and my head. I really like the sound of the Sennheiser though.

Do you think the GM will fit for it? At least the review at headfonia.com gives me that impression. An alternative would be the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro in the same price range (149 €, compared to the 129 and 159 € of the GMs).


If your looking for comfort, especially with eye glasses, the GMP 8.300 D might be not a good choice. Unless you have a small head.

The ear cups don't swivle, so they remain stiff on your ears, pressing upon your scull.

The stock ear pads are not comfortable at all, because they are too small.

See also the comfort complaints about the GMP 8.35 D at Headfonia.

 

For comfort the DT770 Pro would be a better choice.

For sound I'll prefer the GMP 8.300 D over all the DT770 variations.

I have DT770 velour ear pads on my GMP 8.300 D, so I can live with them.

 

 


Edited by Tiemen - 11/22/11 at 1:57pm
post #334 of 955
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post


If your looking for comfort, especially with eye glasses, the GMP 8.300 D might be not a good choice. Unless you have a small head.

The ear cups don't swivle, so they remain stiff on your ears, pressing upon your scull.

The stock ear pads are not comfortable at all, because they are too small.

See also the comfort complaints about the GMP 8.35 D at Headfonia.

 

For comfort the DT770 Pro would be a better choice.

For sound I'll prefer the GMP 8.300 D over all the DT770 variations.

I have DT770 velour ear pads on my GMP 8.300 D, so I can live with them.

 

 




Have you tried any of the GMP 35 ohm drivers?

post #335 of 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post






Have you tried any of the GMP 35 ohm drivers?


No, owning three MB Quart/GMP headphones is already weird I guess, but  I can't part with any of them smile.gif

Don't need another one.

 

 

 


Edited by Tiemen - 11/27/11 at 2:10pm
post #336 of 955
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post


No, owning three MB Quart/GMP headphones is already weird I guess, but  I can't part with them smile.gif

But I don't need another one.

 

 

 


The GMP driver @ 35 ohm are a unique experiences, is like they put all their knowledge and experience in this drivers.

post #337 of 955

I've received my 8.300D yesterday. So far it is fine, but now I wonder if I should order the 35 Ohm version, too. After a comparison I can send back one of them wink.gif

post #338 of 955
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissglut View Post

I've received my 8.300D yesterday. So far it is fine, but now I wonder if I should order the 35 Ohm version, too. After a comparison I can send back one of them wink.gif



Is all up to you. happy_face1.gif

post #339 of 955

I have both phones here now: the 8.300D and the 8.35D.

Remember, I've said I'm looking for a full size alternative to my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and after a short listening period with all three phones for me the 8.35D sounds more like the big brother of the 25-1 II. In short it is very much like the 25-1 II with overall much more bass and deeper bass extension.

If I compare the two German Maestros only, the 35 ohm version has more bass and the highs are more crisp. Sometimes it's a bit too much, e.g. I'm listening to Placebo's Every Me Every You right now and the "s" in the vocals are a bit harsh on the 8.35D. Overall I's say the 300 ohm version is better suited for vocals, while the 35 ohm version is the more rocking head phone. Believe it or not: IMHO the 8.35D even has more dynamics on tracks like the acoustic version of Eagles' Hotel California. But as the base drum is really strong on this track, the 8.300D offers a more balanced sound here.

It's probably a matter of taste which phone you prefer and may depend on your music preferences, too. But for me after the first listening session the 8.35D is the better fit, because of the more rocking sound, the higher PRaT and better dynamics.

 

IMHO the ear pads have a good quality on both phones. The 8.35D ear pads are made of very soft pleather, but there is little space for the ears. This makes my ears getting hot much faster compared to the stretch foam foil pads on the 8.300D. I don't think the pads are alone responsible for the obvious sound difference, so I might try another pad on the 8.35D

 

EDIT: The price of the 8.35D was 151 €.


Edited by weissglut - 12/1/11 at 11:58am
post #340 of 955
Thread Starter 

Congratulations...I'm glad you like the 8.35 and I'm totally agree about the PRaT and the dynamics, and you can get them to be more balanced if you'll change to the oval pads. BTW, the 8.35 drivers needs some burn in of 10-20 hours, and I hope after 20 hours the "s" in the vocals will go away.

post #341 of 955

They have oval ear pads. In their shop it has order number 41-6086 (pleather with integrated dust protection). But I guess you are talking about order number 41-6050 (soft foil). This one has a bigger hole, too. So it may fit better. Maybe I'll give it a try.  Another option would be the Beyerdynamics leather pad, but it is really expensive (~52 €).

post #342 of 955
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissglut View Post

They have oval ear pads. In their shop it has order number 41-6086 (pleather with integrated dust protection). But I guess you are talking about order number 41-6050 (soft foil). This one has a bigger hole, too. So it may fit better. Maybe I'll give it a try.  Another option would be the Beyerdynamics leather pad, but it is really expensive (~52 €).



Yes, the oval pads are the 6050, there is more info on page 5 http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed/60

 

I was thinking about the Beyer gel pads. beyersmile.png

post #343 of 955


Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix View Post
I was thinking about the Beyer gel pads. beyersmile.png


Hehe, me too biggrin.gif

There are two versions available at Beyer Germany:

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/ohrmuschelsatz-5.html

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/ohrmuschelsatz-36.html

 

In some thread here I've read the transparent ones are more comfy, but they'll look awful and get a yellow/brown touch over time. Both versions cost 32 €.

post #344 of 955
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissglut View Post


Quote:



Hehe, me too biggrin.gif

There are two versions available at Beyer Germany:

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/ohrmuschelsatz-5.html

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/ohrmuschelsatz-36.html

 

In some thread here I've read the transparent ones are more comfy, but they'll look awful and get a yellow/brown touch over time. Both versions cost 32 €.




Looks like the plastic finish is better on the white one, but I'm not sure I want white hps pads.  BTW, if you still have the 8.300 you can exchange the pads to get the feel of the oval ones.

post #345 of 955

I guess the black gel pads fit to the look of the GM headphones cool.gif

Yes, I still have the 8.300D. It has the ear pads 41-6015 (Stretch Foam Foil with leather character black), not the oval ones. But I don't want to exchange them. I'm not sure if it makes them look more used after peeling them off two times.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!