Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!! - Page 16

post #226 of 936
I actually purchased one of the hotaudio DAC-EXTASY's (DAC-EXTASY USB HIGH-FIDELITY PC STEREO DAC w/ LINE-OUTS [DAC-EXSTACY] - $299.00 : HOTAUDIO.COM, Hand Made Audio Perfection!) as a DAC and plan on connecting an amp to it.

I'm still torn on which phones to get, its between the 8.35 or the D2000's.
post #227 of 936
Just made the leap and purchased the 8.35D off of Amazon with saturday shipping. I should be listening to them within the next 12-16 hours.

I'm looking at the custom pads, but Im not sure which ones to try out. I read that with the 41-6050, you lose a bit of bass, is this true?

I want to get a bigger pad for more comfort, however, I don't want to lose any of the deep or punch bass.

Also, when buying the pads do you have to get the foam dust protection separately?
post #228 of 936
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantravis View Post
Just made the leap and purchased the 8.35D off of Amazon with saturday shipping. I should be listening to them within the next 12-16 hours.

I'm looking at the custom pads, but Im not sure which ones to try out. I read that with the 41-6050, you lose a bit of bass, is this true?

I want to get a bigger pad for more comfort, however, I don't want to lose any of the deep or punch bass.

Also, when buying the pads do you have to get the foam dust protection separately?
Both pads are very comfy. I see on the the GMP site they sale the dust protection for 3.70 €, maybe you need to ask them if the pads price included the dust protection 18-6052. About the pads, you can start with the original pads and see if you like it.
post #229 of 936
Did a quick A/B comparison between these headphones and the Sennheiser PC-350's that I currently use.

The senn's supposedly have the 595 driver, and I did the "hero mod" on them which helps brings out the bass a lot more.

To my ears, the 8.35 D's are more "forward" than the Senn's, however, they do provide more detail in mid-range and the high end.

One big thing I notice is how much less bass the 8.35 D's have compared to the 350's. I can hear the bass in the 8.35 D's, whereas I can actually feel the bass in the 350's. Im actually rather disappointed in the low-end performance of the 8.35's....I was expecting much more.

I listened to songs by Cake, Benny Benassi, Muse, Gwen Stefani, Daft Punkmm, etc. All either mp3's at 320 or FLAC.

Overall, if someone is looking for more detail in their music, the 8.35 D's are very nice. However, do not expect much when it comes to bass. Overall, I'm not really happy with the 8.35's or the PC-350's. I'm hoping the MD5000's I just ordered will take care of that.
post #230 of 936
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantravis View Post
Did a quick A/B comparison between these headphones and the Sennheiser PC-350's that I currently use.

The senn's supposedly have the 595 driver, and I did the "hero mod" on them which helps brings out the bass a lot more.

To my ears, the 8.35 D's are more "forward" than the Senn's, however, they do provide more detail in mid-range and the high end.

One big thing I notice is how much less bass the 8.35 D's have compared to the 350's. I can hear the bass in the 8.35 D's, whereas I can actually feel the bass in the 350's. Im actually rather disappointed in the low-end performance of the 8.35's....I was expecting much more.

I listed to songs by Cake, Benny Benassi, Muse, Gwen Stefani, Daft Punkmm, etc. All either mp3's at 320 or FLAC.

Overall, if someone is looking for more detail in their music, the 8.35 D's are very nice. However, do not expect much when it comes to bass. Overall, I'm not really happy with the 8.35's or the PC-350's. I'm hoping the MD5000's I just ordered will take care of that.
I'm really sorry to hear that. Maybe you can still return them if you're disappointed in the quantity of the bass. For me, quality is more important, but I suppose everyone has their own preferences and expectations.
post #231 of 936
Well, my wife loves the headphones, so she is going to keep those. I've ordered some MD5000's for myself, so we'll see how that goes.

As for bass quality vs quantity, you are 100% correct. The bass quality is better on the 8.35 D's. However, with the type of music I listen to, it does not have enough impact for me. I play the bass, and I guess I'm just used to feeling the bass lines as well as hearing them. Hard to explain really.
post #232 of 936
does anyone know how to take these phones apart? i would like to recable mine.
post #233 of 936
Damn, I am 90% sure I saw one of these in a Saint Vincent de Paul's last year, and likely for nothing close to its worth. I remember that it looked like the headsets in my college's Language lab, which I spent a lot of time with (I was learning German, funny, no?).

Ya know, I think that if you hooked these up to a mac, the universe would explode. The ultimate expression of function over form meets the ultimate expression of form over function.
post #234 of 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambones View Post
Damn, I am 90% sure I saw one of these in a Saint Vincent de Paul's last year, and likely for nothing close to its worth. I remember that it looked like the headsets in my college's Language lab, which I spent a lot of time with (I was learning German, funny, no?).

Ya know, I think that if you hooked these up to a mac, the universe would explode. The ultimate expression of function over form meets the ultimate expression of form over function.
The may have been MB Quarts. The last generation of the MB Quarts are essentially the same headphones. The previous generation looks similar and go very cheap on eBay. They're not as good though.
post #235 of 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post
The may have been MB Quarts. The last generation of the MB Quarts are essentially the same headphones. The previous generation looks similar and go very cheap on eBay. They're not as good though.
Well, my MB Quart Phone 90X from the early nineties is a very good headphone. Much better than for example the QP/GMP250 (though that one is closed, the QP90 isn't.)
Maybe the older the better, as with Beyer's DT880 and 990 and AKG K240?
post #236 of 936
That's one I've always wanted to hear. I bought the QP45X and QP55X when they were on close out in an eBay store. They're nothing special.

The QP85, from the previous generation is one of my favorite headphones. I wish GMB would make a float.
post #237 of 936
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post
The QP85, from the previous generation is one of my favorite headphones. I wish GMB would make a float.
Float with 4 drivers.
post #238 of 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
Float with 4 drivers.
I believe PMB made one of those. It would be great.
post #239 of 936
So are the 8.35 the top of the line Maestros in terms of SQ or just for durability?

What is the difference between the 8.35 and the 400/450 headphones from German Maestro?
post #240 of 936
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post
I believe PMB made one of those. It would be great.
you're right, I'll be happy to own a new model with 4 drivers. But I still want the vintage PMB one too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!