- 2,170 Posts. Joined 5/2006
- Location: NC
- Select All Posts By This User
- brandDIYtagged by joe, 2/11/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 5/23/16 at 3:15pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Double Barrel" Fully machined aluminum closed back headphones Last post on 2/23/15 at 9:47am in DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
- CUSTOM DIY NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES BETTER THAN BOSE QC15. For 30 Bucks! Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Millett Hybrid MiniMax Last post on 10/29/11 at 3:04pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- I think I blew out my Left channel on my GILMORE LITE Last post on 11/30/10 at 4:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and...
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
A DIY electrostatic amp for intermediate DIYers? - Page 40post #586 of 5939/20/09 at 7:17pmare there any pics of this design pabbi1? please please pleasepost #587 of 5939/20/09 at 7:37pmpost #588 of 5939/21/09 at 1:19ampost #589 of 5939/21/09 at 1:35ampost #590 of 5939/30/09 at 1:04ampost #591 of 5939/30/09 at 1:49ampost #592 of 59311/16/11 at 9:37am
Maybe some people are more immune to electrical shock than others. It is not the voltage but the current that kills. I worked as an electrician on systems from millivolt WWII ear signaling to MV which is 15KV to 45KV. I never took any direct shocks on any system over 600VAC nominal, but got nailed by 120, 240, and 277 a few times. I still think finding the B+ of an old Valco Supro which was located in the most dangerous place inside the amp anyone could ever find was one of the worst shocks I ever got. I did get nailed by a 7500 volt hi pot one damp rainy day. That was pretty painful too. Maybe I am lucky. Working with electricity 40-84 hours a week you will get zapped. I have seen some people with holes blown in them from 120 volts, and worse from 277. I have no clue why it just scares me and makes me jump, and other people have died. AS one person said, "Keep one hand in your pocket" as it is great advice so as not to pass current across your heart. Also make some jumpers with a 1K-10K resistor to put across filter caps. They can actually recharge themselves and nail you after you think you have shorted them and have them discharged. Some say they draw energy from other caps in the amp. I have been nailed by them after reforming the things and discharging them upon removal from the power supply and load. They can be fine right after taking them off my reforming rig then you pick one up an hour later and get a surprise. I have been using some old Koss ESP10s, and Staxx electrostatic headphones. My only complaint is the 1970s Marantz amps won't work with the Koss due to a negative feedback loop, so I have to use another power amp, and I do not want to drag one of the tube amps into the shop area.post #593 of 59311/26/11 at 7:22pm
Has anyone started making any plans for the electrostatic headphones? I have some transformers that are too high a voltage but too low current to do much else with. I have a beefy one that with a doubler comes out to 700VDC plus, but I have been using those in pairs and making the current high enough to drive some nice tubes along at 77 watts. I used something like KT88s only with a plate cap. They take 800 VDC easily. I ran them through a pair of Partridge designed transformers I had wound with 1,2,4,8,16 ohm taps and 100 volt out for a PA distribution line. Sorry to be cryptic about the tubes I use. For now these are affordable in the Mullard or GEC UK made brand. (affordable on my monthly pittance anyway) My doctor bought the AR RT600s and $10K in 6550 tubes. I would love to know where they went. The govt seized all his stuff for fraud, and some other DEA violations. 600+ wattsx2 in a house? Oh well to each his own.
- A DIY electrostatic amp for intermediate DIYers?
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 14 seconds ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 1 minute ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 6 minutes ago
- › Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These... 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 7 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Fender FXA5 first look by RedJohn456. PG 2123. 7 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...