Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset - Page 5

post #61 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpatton7 View Post
I recently became fed up with my PC 350 because of the comfort and SQ issues which made them unpleasant. However, I just tried this mod out and all I can say is "wow". I only drilled one hole on each side and after a first listening, what most struck me was the increase in bass. Music actually sounds alive, rather than snoozing in the back of the phone. I also noticed a considerable expansion of the soundstage and a general improvement in the mid-range. After popping on some of the velour pads from my 555's, the PC 350 are finally listenable again. Thanks so much ourfpshero, you saved me $150!
That is awesome, it's nice to have more people discovering this mod, and we can all thank our Hero

Good to hear that the HD 555 velour pads fit also, I use the HD 595 pads.
post #62 of 488
I'm getting these headphones in the next week, so this mod is a must from the looks of it? Where can I also buy the 555/595 velvet covers?
post #63 of 488
Definitely a must. If you call Sennheiser directly, they have the pads available at $16 a pair. I'm much happier with the comfort of the velour pads, but be aware that it recedes the soundstage quite a bit and reduces the isolation considerably. It's a trade-off that I found worth it in this hot California weather.
post #64 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpatton7 View Post
Definitely a must. If you call Sennheiser directly, they have the pads available at $16 a pair. I'm much happier with the comfort of the velour pads, but be aware that it recedes the soundstage quite a bit and reduces the isolation considerably. It's a trade-off that I found worth it in this hot California weather.
Thanks for the help, I haven't really seen the headset in person (just pictures online). Is there a good tut for this? is there any real danger? I just don't want my $140 to go down the drain.
post #65 of 488
I just used the OP's directions along with Jaawa's and decided one hole was sufficient. I recommend you listen to the PC 350 when you get it to determine if it needs this modification, Sennheiser made the PC 350 very flat on purpose for chatting/gaming. There is no danger if you are careful when you are drilling, the place to drill is well away from the driver. If you decide you don't like it, you can add some dampening material/plug up the hole(s) like the OP did. If you have a Dremel, I highly recommend that over a full-sized drill.
post #66 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpatton7 View Post
I just used the OP's directions along with Jaawa's and decided one hole was sufficient. I recommend you listen to the PC 350 when you get it to determine if it needs this modification, Sennheiser made the PC 350 very flat on purpose for chatting/gaming. There is no danger if you are careful when you are drilling, the place to drill is well away from the driver. If you decide you don't like it, you can add some dampening material/plug up the hole(s) like the OP did. If you have a Dremel, I highly recommend that over a full-sized drill.
Another question, you said "recedes the soundstage quite a bit and reduces the isolation considerably"

So does it make it open ear like the Senn 555 then?
post #67 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyReN View Post
Another question, you said "recedes the soundstage quite a bit and reduces the isolation considerably"

So does it make it open ear like the Senn 555 then?
No, there is still some isolation and the headphone definitely sounds closed. My HD 555 still sounds better than my PC 350. I'm actually looking at the PXC 450 cushions now to get back that isolation, they look supremely comfortable.
post #68 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpatton7 View Post
No, there is still some isolation and the headphone definitely sounds closed. My HD 555 still sounds better than my PC 350. I'm actually looking at the PXC 450 cushions now to get back that isolation, they look supremely comfortable.
For some reason it didn't even come to my mind to look at the PXC pads, maybe I thought they had the same pleather pads as the PC 350 originally did. But yes, those definitely look comfy, I might investigate aswell, as I missed the isolation a bit when I attended a LANparty last weekend.
post #69 of 488
we designed it a certain way, yes, and we hope that most people like it the way it is, yes. however, we like to tweak too. if making a few adjustments makes the EXPERIENCE better for you, then by all means, tweak away. we love that this community embraces technology and "the best possible sound experience"...I will never tell you not to mod or tweak. keep sharing mods and tweaks, we appreciate you purchasing our products to begin with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyotero View Post
Modding mid-fi is the sh1t! Some ppl may look at this thread with disgust saying- "bleh the grand Gods in the Sennheiser high mountain designed this headphone the way it is for a reason. they are Gods after all! why ruin it pretending you can beat the grand sennheiser hp engeniers with your puny mods.."

But that's not entierly correct. Although they did design it the way it is for a reason, it doesn't mean they nesseserily aimed for the highest SQ. The interesting part is, and that's a speculation, even if they knew that "drilling 3 holes" at the back of the driver will improve SQ, haven't done it deliberatly. Otherwise, from an economical POV, if the pc350 sounds so awesome why would one shell some extra $$ on the higher end cans?

I might be stating the obvious here but I'm just saying modding can be awesome with certain cans. The downside is it's a hit`n`miss thing. Performing the same mod on a different set of cans might degrade SQ.

Shouldn't stop peeps from trying, though. Those little random discoveries are rewarding.
post #70 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaawa View Post
For some reason it didn't even come to my mind to look at the PXC pads, maybe I thought they had the same pleather pads as the PC 350 originally did. But yes, those definitely look comfy, I might investigate aswell, as I missed the isolation a bit when I attended a LANparty last weekend.
I just ordered the PXC 450 pads for $53 a pair, I'll let you know how they work when I get them.
post #71 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpatton7 View Post
I just ordered the PXC 450 pads for $53 a pair, I'll let you know how they work when I get them.
Cool, I await eagerly
post #72 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaawa View Post
Cool, I await eagerly
The PXC 450 earpads just arrived today, they fit perfectly! The material is similar to the that of the D2000 pads, filled with foam and the feel of real leather (edit: that's because they are real leather, filled with neoprene ). They have the same (if not better) isolation as the stock pads and feel supremely comfortable. If you don't mind dropping the $53 + shipping, it'll improve the comfort of the PC 350 considerably.

Update: PXC 450 pads definitely isolate more, because of this the bass is brought out even more, drowning out every other frequency and pushing the treble to the far back. I'm going to try to use some dampening material to cut down on the bass and bring the treble out more.
post #73 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpatton7 View Post
The PXC 450 earpads just arrived today, they fit perfectly! The material is similar to the that of the D2000 pads, filled with foam and the feel of real leather (edit: that's because they are real leather, filled with neoprene ). They have the same (if not better) isolation as the stock pads and feel supremely comfortable. If you don't mind dropping the $53 + shipping, it'll improve the comfort of the PC 350 considerably.

Update: PXC 450 pads definitely isolate more, because of this the bass is brought out even more, drowning out every other frequency and pushing the treble to the far back. I'm going to try to use some dampening material to cut down on the bass and bring the treble out more.
Sounds nice, I will most probably try and get my hands on those pads, I really do miss the isolation at times, but I don't feel that the stock pads on the PC 350 are anywhere near comfy. Sounds like I probably need to close a few holes in the enclosure too, and add more dampening wool. Ah well, we'll see when I'll get my pads, but my hands are itching to mod more already Thanks for the pad-tip anyhow!
post #74 of 488
I wrote a small review of the PC 350 along with the CX 380 Sport II and the FiiO E5. I also wrote about the Hero's mod, included most of my posts from this thread in it and the pics. More publicity for the mod is still needed in my opinion, this is my way of making it

here's the link to the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cx-...review-442546/
post #75 of 488
I just did this mod, and boy am I impressed! They sound much much better now. I drilled 3 1/8th holes in each, and so far I'm liking it.

EDIT: watch out for the rubber stoppers, they will fall out. Just remember to put them in before you close up, they fit one way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset