Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset - Page 29

post #421 of 487

You have a PC350 as well? Becauise I can't exactly swivel them 360, they only go about 40 degrees to the left and right. I am going to take the cup back off again, plenty of screws, but reallty can't quite ifgure out exactly what you mean

post #422 of 487

Yeah, seems like no worries there, the plastic piece keeping the hinge together seems fine on your pictures. You'll just need to disassemble that side and make sure the hinge is "locked" before you screw it back together.

 

Here's some pictures that might help understand what you'll need to do.

The lock piece on the hinges is highlighted here.

 

 

And it's here's the same piece on the drive enclosure when disassembled.

 

post #423 of 487

Haha, thanks I just did it before I saw your post. Funny how the first time I took it apart, that didn't happen, strange.Oh well, least it wasn't broken!

 

Whew.

 

Really awesome community you got here.

 

Now if I could just figure out why these feel so uncomfortable. I always feel like they are squeezing my head, it feels like the design of the headband kinda puts pressure on your ears. You ever experience this guys, or am I weird? Like after 5 minutes they get so uncomfortable I have to take them off / constantly adjust. Anything that can be done or is it just headphones that do it?

 

Velour earpads helped some, but it still feels like I'm suffocating and I know that sounds weird, being a headset and all.


Edited by Mkilbride - 11/24/12 at 11:06pm
post #424 of 487

Nice one Hezer,

  A picture saves a thousand words.

 

Regards

post #425 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Haha, thanks I just did it before I saw your post. Funny how the first time I took it apart, that didn't happen, strange.Oh well, least it wasn't broken!

 

Whew.

 

Really awesome community you got here.

 

Now if I could just figure out why these feel so uncomfortable. I always feel like they are squeezing my head, it feels like the design of the headband kinda puts pressure on your ears. You ever experience this guys, or am I weird? Like after 5 minutes they get so uncomfortable I have to take them off / constantly adjust. Anything that can be done or is it just headphones that do it?

 

Velour earpads helped some, but it still feels like I'm suffocating and I know that sounds weird, being a headset and all.

 

One thing that comes to my mind is that the headband is aligned more to front compared to all the other headphones I've used or seen.

And actually now when trying to put headband on the center/top of my head headphones seem to be pressing behind my ears that gets really uncomfortable, but when aligning headband more to front I could totally forget I'm using them. Yes I remember it took a little while to get used to that feeling of headband being almost on your forehead, but once that was over it's not hard to wear these for hours.

 

Usually it's only for the first few minutes I'm constantly adjusting my glasses to get them fit with headphones better.

post #426 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Haha, thanks I just did it before I saw your post. Funny how the first time I took it apart, that didn't happen, strange.Oh well, least it wasn't broken!

 

Whew.

 

Really awesome community you got here.

 

Now if I could just figure out why these feel so uncomfortable. I always feel like they are squeezing my head, it feels like the design of the headband kinda puts pressure on your ears. You ever experience this guys, or am I weird? Like after 5 minutes they get so uncomfortable I have to take them off / constantly adjust. Anything that can be done or is it just headphones that do it?

 

Velour earpads helped some, but it still feels like I'm suffocating and I know that sounds weird, being a headset and all.

You just need to get used to the clamping, most of Sennheiser's full-size 'phones have such a hugging effect, they're built that way, on the PC 350 it's to improve isolation a bit and make the headset stay on your head in those action-packed gaming moments. Just put on some nice music and try to enjoy the soft feel of the velour pads, and how they actually breathe, unlike the original pleather pads that really were sweat-inducing and suffocating :) You'll get used to them, enjoy your newly Hero's modded Sennheisers :)

post #427 of 487

Had the headset for over 2 years now, when am I going to get used to it?:P

 

But thanks for all your help really. You've been really helpful!

post #428 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post

Had the headset for over 2 years now, when am I going to get used to it?:P

 

But thanks for all your help really. You've been really helpful!


Oh, hehheh, well then ... I guess you could try to stretch them, by putting them on something a centimeter or two bigger of diameter than your head, and leaving them on that thing for long periods of time between uses. Oh and if you're going to try that, I recommend switching back to the pleather pads for that, so that your nice 595 velour pads don't get flattened needlessly :)

 

Cheers, glad to help on my part!

post #429 of 487

Hello there.

Recently bought Asus Xonar Xense kit.

Read here and there, that Xense edition PC350 should sound better than original PC350.

In this thread ourfpshero claimed, this set already has some tweeks if to compare with ordinary set of PC350 headphones.

Quote:ourfpshero
finally openned up my Xense headphones- the 2 little holes that are in the inner cups but seem to be sealed in the regular pc350 are opened in the Xense - I can see light through them to the driver

 

The question is: Will Xense edition PC350 benefit from suggested bass mode? Or it will be better to leave them in vanila state and not ot loose varanity?

 

Other question PC 350 sold separatly are now marked as SE - Special Edition. Anybody knows if their sounding was improved or it's just marketing?


Edited by Morion - 12/7/12 at 3:26pm
post #430 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morion View Post

Hello there.

Recently bought Asus Xonar Xense kit.

Read here and there, that Xense edition PC350 should sound better than original PC350.

In this thread ourfpshero claimed, this set already has some tweeks if to compare with ordinary set of PC350 headphones.

 

The question is: Will Xense edition PC350 benefit from suggested bass mode? Or it will be better to leave them in vanila state and not ot loose varanity?

 

Other question PC 350 sold separatly are now marked as SE - Special Edition. Anybody knows if their sounding was improved or it's just marketing?


Sorry for bit late reply, just had to find time to open up and check those holes on my headphones.

 

I don't know if Sennheiser has done some other tweaks on those Xense headphones, but at least some of the regular models also don't have those hole sealed, I know mine weren't. Having just those holes weren't enough for me, which originally led me here.

post #431 of 487

Guys.. I need some help. Suddenly i lost bass in the left speaker, has anyone experienced this and knows if its possible to fix?

I have opened them and checked the wiring and everything seems OK. After seeing Masterminds pics of removed driver i am afraid i will not be able to fix it if the wiring to the driver is OK.

post #432 of 487

I discovered this mod a few months ago. Then I modified my PC 350 headset which is so old it is out of warranty anyway. I had already replaced the original pads with the velours version a year ago (the originals started dissolving, and I could only get the velours version locally).

 

About a week ago i started noticing some kind of resonance effect on the left speaker. I really don't know how to properly describe it, "tinny" would probably be the right word if it happend in the higher fequencies, except in my case the problem seems to be bass or lower mids related.

It is a bit like windows rattling when a big truck is driving by (but a lot more subtle).

 

Adding more padding and making sure all the screws are tightened properly (so it cannot be a mechanical vibrations) reduced the effect, but not completely.

 

Any ideas from the experts? The only thing left that i can think of would be undoing the mod.

post #433 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNickRiviera View Post

I discovered this mod a few months ago. Then I modified my PC 350 headset which is so old it is out of warranty anyway. I had already replaced the original pads with the velours version a year ago (the originals started dissolving, and I could only get the velours version locally).

 

About a week ago i started noticing some kind of resonance effect on the left speaker. I really don't know how to properly describe it, "tinny" would probably be the right word if it happend in the higher fequencies, except in my case the problem seems to be bass or lower mids related.

It is a bit like windows rattling when a big truck is driving by (but a lot more subtle).

 

Adding more padding and making sure all the screws are tightened properly (so it cannot be a mechanical vibrations) reduced the effect, but not completely.

 

Any ideas from the experts? The only thing left that i can think of would be undoing the mod.

 

I can confirm this, same happened with a pair my friend owns. He was complaining about getting some strange noises to one of the channels (was later confirmed a bug in sound card drivers). I suggested that we do switch with headphones and did thorough testing.

When running about 40-50Hz constantly at quite high volume headphones started strange rattle. Also tapping headphones when playing music sometimes caused this rattle. Rattle usually continues until bass level go almost silent for a second or so.

I could limit this happening by blocking holes or adjusting eq.


Can't really give any other suggestions except try to block holes and test if it still happens.

post #434 of 487

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but i tested the output/soundcard with a different headset (AKG 240), the problem definitely seems to be the headset and not the card.

Interestingly i did not notice the problem immediately after doing the mod, it seems to have appeared in the past week or two. For me the fequency seems to be somewhere in the lower freqency range of male speech (which makes this problem really annoying for any form of VOIP).

 

I'll try blocking one of the two holes i drilled and report back. Of course this might simply eliminate the problem by reducing the bass to near zero...

 

update: blocking one of the holes reduced bass but did not eliminate the problem. I also noticed that the screen was slightly loose, especially in the one corner, so i removed it completely and put it back in with a tiny drop of superglue to the corner where i could move it the most.

Is it possible the mod allows the speaker so much motion that it can actually damage its membrane?

 

another update: blocking all holes completely (undoing the mod) does not help. I then downloaded SignalGenerator to get an idea about the fequencies where the problem occurs. Depending on volume levels i can trigger the effect anywhere up to ~150 Hz (higher frequencies need more power to trigger it). After that i suspect it is still present, but not loud enough to be noticable.

I can also trigger the effect using a 10 Hz sine wave, that gets me an effect that sounds a lot like a 5 Hz square wave on the left speaker only.

Generally the effect sounds a lot like a square wave at half the fequency of the sine wave.

 

So now i am using the headset with the mod (and the resonance) until something like the ModMic 2.1 becomes available in europe, then I'll switch to my AKG240.


Edited by DrNickRiviera - 3/4/13 at 2:12am
post #435 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNickRiviera View Post

Is it possible the mod allows the speaker so much motion that it can actually damage its membrane?

I'm not sure, but perhaps it's possible that some damage has occured over time. I say this because my HD 650 are exhibiting the exact same "tiny window rattle"-effect in their right-ear side, I think they've had too much bass, too often, and they're just damaged. But they're also very old, 8 years of daily usage. I have had no problems with my modded PC 350 yet, and it has been years since I did the mod, lots of gaming. Perhaps the HD 650 just are of so much higher quality, that they can take 8 years of my occasional obnoxious or drunken abuse of all kinds of music on way too high volumes, but that being their limit. Perhaps the PC 350 when modded, can't handle that for so long, maybe mine will start to crumble like this too.

 

How long have you had your PC 350 DrNickRiviera, and how long has it been since you modded them?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset