So I've got a pair of the 022 that I use the gray filters with and love them... but I've been reading that they're discontinued. With the caveat that I haven't read this entire 186 page thread, is it worth stocking up on filters right now? Or maybe even buying a backup pair at $60?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAUDEOtagged by System, 6/25/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-CK7 Titanium Earphonestagged by System, 7/23/10
- brandPhonaktagged by System, 6/25/10
- productPhonak Audeo PFE 121tagged by System, 7/16/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 1/31/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 4/13/11
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 1/31/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SM3 v2 or IE8 with TWAG custom cable? Last post on 2/21/12 at 6:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- REVIEW: 20 Headphones Compared Last post on 6/2/13 at 4:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can you wear the Audeo PFEs in a conventional way (i.e. NOT over the ear)? Last post on 8/18/10 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Phonak Perfect Bass 012 & 022 - new models Last post on 10/29/10 at 2:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/3/14
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Phonak Audeo (PFE) Appreciation Thread - Page 187
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think 2 pairs would work long enough, they can only get dirty and it's possible to clean them, as far as I read about it.
As for tips, maybe the best would be to ask comply to hear from them if they planing to discontinue production anytime soon.
Have you tried the JDS Labs C421 or its successor? Perfect match with the PFE-232 so my guess is it should be very fine with the PFE 122 too. I might sell the C421 as I am planning on buying the X5 in March/April. My C421 has the OPA2227 chip + gain switch + bass boost switch + USB, imported to EU in June 2012, first owner.
Haven't tried anything but an old fiio e5 but I was looking at the smaller amp like: GoVibe Mini Box http://www.soundandvision.com/content/mini-amp-review-fiio-e6-fireye-mini-govibe-mini-box-page-4
but the C421 looks pretty sweet. Have to do some more research! Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Hey all. I have a pair of PFE111s and have been very happy with them. Just one question though....is anybody having problems with the filters falling out? Looked at mine yesterday, and one of the filters was half out, and a month or so ago both of them completely fell out - surprisingly didn't lose them. A month or so was with a pair of blacks, so I switched to the greys. I've tried looking to see if the housing was cracked, and didn't see anything. Could this be because I switched the filters a few times and now they're looser? Or possibly because I use the comply tips and rolling em round to get them squished is somehow pushing the filters out?
Any thoughts? I'll be getting a fresh new pack of filters today (Canada Post willing) so hopefully they might fit a little better.
What source are you using? My pfe s sound quite good straight from the cowon S9
Sounds pretty good from my iPhone 5 but I want to get a little improvement.
Here is my impression with my portable devices and PFE-232. I do realize that the latter needs an amp to shine, so maybe comparison with PFE-1xx should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Nokia Lumia 820 (EQ off):
'thin' sounding with narrow soundstage. FiiO E5 (bass off) makes vocals come out more and soundstage wider and is a step up. JDS Labs C421 (bass off, high gain) is definately more powerfull, rich and warm sounding, intimate and makes you feel like you're in it
Cowon S9 (EQ/BBE off):
Just the player by itself is already much better SQ wise than Nokia Lumia 820 + Fiio E5. Adding E5 to the S9 is even better than Nokia Lumia 820 + C421. When paired with the C421 the S9 sounds really great: full, smooth and detailed with lots of power and clarity in vocals, soundstage much wider than all of the above.
If you are stuck with a smartphone, a relatively cheap and little device like a FiiO E5 is a step up. A good portable - but more bulky - amp like the JDS Labsdefinately can give you much more detail and warmth to music coming from a (smart)phone. A digital audio player obviously takes the sound to a higher level and makes the Phonak Audeo a real pleasure to listen to. Moreover if you prefer EQ/BBE/Bass boost then a DAP is worth looking into.
Hope this helps, just my 2 cents
- Phonak Audeo (PFE) Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HELP - With FiiO E17 Problem 1 minute ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Trying to hear the difference between 320 mp3 vs flac (16/24-bit,... 2 minutes ago
- › Level matching Amps with a Passive Attenuator; or, Am I Doing it... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Upgrade for ad700 4 minutes ago
- › The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring... 7 minutes ago
- › Hearing high pitch noise/bleep when moving mouse. Newly bought mini... 8 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Construction expenses falls 0.8% in August...
- › Facebook, Ericsson & XL Indonesia Create...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2