Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Phonak Audeo (PFE) Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phonak Audeo (PFE) Appreciation Thread - Page 182

post #2716 of 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post

Man, what a difference a year (or two) can make on your perception of audio.  I just started taking audiophilia seriously two years ago, after having listened to heavily equalized music through relatively crappy (decent for the cost) Senheisers for probably eight years up until that point.  I didn't really like the sound of the Phonaks at first; I actually detested how "sterile" I thought they sounded, yet now I don't listen to anything lossless with any active EQ and only bother with something like BBE on specific MP3s.  It wasn't simply me adjusting to these either as I've tested out quite a few of the $300 - $600 range headphones over the past two years as well.  For extensive listening sessions I still prefer headphones, but these seemed to have been well worth the cost.  I don't know how they compare to other similarly priced IEMs, nor how the more expensive ones sound, but these sound pretty good. 

 

The only downside I feel they have is with the default tips that came with them.  The "comply" foam seems to only fill out correctly with one of them, and only the largest of the silicone tips seems to be mostly sealing.  I say mostly, because even with them being the largest, sometimes I have to push on them to get a good seal for bass, and I have no idea what I should be looking for in a different tip.

If you have the money, ACS do custom fitted silicone sleeves. http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=90

post #2717 of 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post

 

If you have the money, ACS do custom fitted silicone sleeves. http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=90

 

I would have considered this, if not for Westone foam tips.... previously was very happy with comply pseries, problem was it last only three weeks for me.

post #2718 of 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

If you have the money, ACS do custom fitted silicone sleeves. http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=90

 

I had a bad experience with custom tips.  I think the issue is that not everyone's ears work well with custom tips, because they have to actually "contain" your earphone housing which makes them too large to insert fully.  Not the tips, but the earphones.  My er4s are smaller and thinner and the custom tips I got were remade twice and remolded once.  None of them fit deep in my ears or sealed as good.  But I think for some people it works good.

 

Unfortunately, it's an expensive, time consuming crap shoot.  If you have that much of a problem, I suppose it "might" be worth it, especially if it lets you experience your favorite iem in comfort, however, they usually alter the sound quality noticeably.  Also, for the $150 or so you could use the original price of your earphones ($150 lets say for the pfe112) and buy a $300 pair instead. :-P  Just some thoughts.

post #2719 of 2887

For you guys looking to stock up on extra filters, Earphone Solutions have the black and grey filters in stock. After 15% off coupon gift15 they are $17 with free shipping. Only $3 off but free shipping makes a decent deal compared to buying from Phonak direct.

post #2720 of 2887
Today I got a pair of 012 to go with my 111. However, I quickly noticed the cables are different. The 012 has a rough texture to it and seems a little thinner. The 111 cable has smooth finish.

Anyone know why this is? The 012 is black and the 111 is white so is it just the difference between colors? Or it just that the 012 uses a cheaper cable than the more expensive 111? Or maybe the 012 I got is one of the older versions that had cable problem?

Anyone else have both that can compare?
post #2721 of 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post

Today I got a pair of 012 to go with my 111. However, I quickly noticed the cables are different. The 012 has a rough texture to it and seems a little thinner. The 111 cable has smooth finish.

Anyone know why this is? The 012 is black and the 111 is white so is it just the difference between colors? Or it just that the 012 uses a cheaper cable than the more expensive 111? Or maybe the 012 I got is one of the older versions that had cable problem?

Anyone else have both that can compare?

 

No need to worry, all 012's should be the newer versions with the better cable. The 111 that you have must be the older version cable.  I bought a 012 recently as well and it had the same type of cable that the 232's that I used to have had, which should be the newer versions.

post #2722 of 2887
My pfe 012's have the same cable. Listening to them right now with the stock green filters and my SGS4. I need to crank the volume up almost all the way but they sound pretty good maybe a little too much quantity for my liking, I will certainly swap them out for the grays soon. Looking forward to my pico dac/amp to pair with it as the pfes are really hard to drive. I also ordered the forza audio works copper otg cable. Now the wait until Decembers JHA's discount to order the 13's.
post #2723 of 2887
Hello guys, does anyone use the 232 with rockboxed eq? What is your eq setting
post #2724 of 2887
post #2725 of 2887

I have some of the originally released Audeo PFEs (not sure of the model number). But I am looking to get Shure Olives for them. Do Shure Olives fit? I have looked on Amazon and it seems like there are a few different type of olive tips depending on the model of Shure IEM. 

 

Could someone link me to the model that I should buy for the PFE?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EABKF1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0015PN3W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375807273&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+olive

 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-PA910M-Replacement-SE530PTH-Earphones/dp/B000NDHIKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375807273&sr=8-2&keywords=shure+olive

post #2726 of 2887

Hey guys,

 

I recently ordered some PFE 232's from earphonesolution.com and was wondering how they sound with rock/metal music? How is the speed especially when listening to double bass and fast electric guitar riffs?

post #2727 of 2887

Oh yeah, and how would they sound with rock/metal compared to the SE535's, westone 4R's, and Grado GR-10's? Just curious.

post #2728 of 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbythemelody View Post
 

Oh yeah, and how would they sound with rock/metal compared to the SE535's, westone 4R's, and Grado GR-10's? Just curious.

 

westone 4 is pretty fast compared to 232's. + you cant compare the amazing mids of W4R's to the sort a Cloudy mids of 232's :) since rock /metal music is all about fast mids and tight bass notes with crispy high's hands down W4' win. but if u like to feel more bass on ur music ( which I don't think most metal listeners prefer ) 232's are absolutely great.. and the 535's are a bit muddy when it comes to very fast complex music. with W4 you can easily hear the difference between a Fender  and e BC Rich. don't expect it on the 232's . But needless to say I love them both. its ur choice. :)

 

* do not think of  getting e GR-10's for fast music ( unless you really love Jazz / acoustic slow music )


Edited by Sylaw - 9/17/13 at 12:22pm
post #2729 of 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylaw View Post
 

 

westone 4 is pretty fast compared to 232's. + you cant compare the amazing mids of W4R's to the sort a Cloudy mids of 232's :) since rock /metal music is all about fast mids and tight bass notes with crispy high's hands down W4' win. but if u like to feel more bass on ur music ( which I don't think most metal listeners prefer ) 232's are absolutely great.. and the 535's are a bit muddy when it comes to very fast complex music. with W4 you can easily hear the difference between a Fender  and e BC Rich. don't expect it on the 232's . But needless to say I love them both. its ur choice. :)

 

* do not think of  getting e GR-10's for fast music ( unless you really love Jazz / acoustic slow music )

 

They are definitely both good.  I found the 232 bass and treble made some metal and rock songs really sound good because the double kick drums really hit tightly and the guitars stand out better.  But then on some tracks this causes some instruments to sound a bit harsh or boomy.  The w4 on the other hand never offends at all really, and the mids bring out the "chugga chugga" of electric guitars nicely, but they sometimes things lack true air and openness and basses sound more muddy to me because of the mid bass bloat.  So really they should mix the two. :-P ha.  Or just eq either of them to be more neutral.  If I had to choose one I'm not sure which it would be.  They both respond very well to eq, are very comfortable and high quality.  I think the 4r sounds better "overall" with no eq.  It is just a sort of softly muffled warm iem where the 232 is sort of slightly warm iem with a certain harsh treble area in the high range.

 
Neither are really "bad" in these regards, but compared to a neutral goal those are the flaws as I see (or hear) them.  The 4r has the benefit of improving with added resistance.  A 100ohm resistor brings down the low mid bass bloat and makes them flatter.  I'd definitely take a 4r with resistor over the pfe232 if no eq was allowed.
post #2730 of 2887
Thanks guys. I need to listen to them myself to really know! I once owned the w4r's and really liked the speed it had for metal but felt it lacked in bass.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Phonak Audeo (PFE) Appreciation Thread