New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] LEAR Le01

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Here is a review of another Made-in-China IEM, the LEAR Le01. I was first contacted by a fellow member on another forum (GodLuvSxS @ Lowyat.net) asking if I would be interested in reviewing this IEM. If you haven't heard of an IEM company called LEAR before, don't worry - I didn't too until a few weeks ago. In short, LEAR is a new startup and Le01 is their very first IEM attempt. They are so new, they didn't even have a website yet. As far as the end users' concern, LEAR are still trying to improve the Le01 even as it has already been released into the market, so don't worry if you received a slightly different Le01 than mine (i.e. I read on another HK forum, the next batch of Le01 will have Y-cord instead J-cord because of users' feedback, so more improvement might be implemented)



Here is the listed spec:
Driver units: 10.7mm Dynamic
Rated impedance: 20 ohm
Sensitivity: 112dB
Frequency: 10Hz to 26kHz
Distortion: <=1%94dB (20u pa)
Channel balance : <=2% (at 500Hz)
Rated input power: 10mW
Maximum output power: 40mW
Plug size: 3.5mm mini-plug
Cord length: 1.3m O.F.C
Eartips: 3 pairs single flange silicone tips (Large, mid, small)
1 shirt clip



Packaging, Accessories, and Build Quality
You can see from the picture above that the packaging of Le01 is actually quite nice. It has a very classy look to it. Inside, you will find the earpieces and the rest of the eartips sit in a piece of green dense foam. Underneath the foam, you will find the cable, a shirt clip and a user manual in English in a piece of soft sponge. I was a bit disappointed to see no case or pouch of any kind. I think even a cheap soft pouch can really enhance the overall package. The good thing is, they did include the shirt clip - as the cable they used are quite microphonics. The earpieces are made out of plastic. To improve the look, LEAR coats the outer facing part (white) of the earpieces with a clear coating. It is quite slick to touch and added a bit of scratch-proof to the 'LEAR' and 'L/R' marking. On the downside, it also makes the earpiece slightly harder to hold on to (which means not as easy to remove when you are wearing them). The earpiece design is basically a look-alike with many others Chinese made IEM though it is slightly slimmer, no much to really comment about. The included single flange eartips are thicker and spongier than you typical single flange. They tend to fit harder but mud up the bass a bit. In comparison, I find the bi-flange sounding most neutral and spacious soundstage wise. Unfortunately, the bi-flange doesn’t really isolate that well.

The overall build quality is quite good as LEAR is paying a bit of attention to the finer detail and finishing, however, I do see places that can use some improvement.





Sound Quality
Fresh out of the box, Le01’s bass is a bit overwhelming while treble is a bit lacking. It will take at least a good 3 days of burn-in to calm down the bass and bring out the detail. I’ll recommend for a full 100 hrs of burn-in before any serious auditioning. After burn-in, the overall fun sounding signature will still persist but more balanced and controlled than before. Bass hits quite strong but there are more mid bass than deep bass. Mid is quite full which in term makes the overall sound signature warm. Treble starts rolling off early but there is still enough detail and sparkle left. On the good side, it doesn’t have any sign of harshness at all. It does, however, makes it sounds a bit dark (just a bit). Soundstage wise, the warm and slightly dark presentation do limit the sense of space. In all, it is a fun and warm sounding IEM with good bass and a lay back signature. It kind of resembles UM2 sonic characters with slightly lesser detail and bigger bass. For those who don’t mind EQ, a bit of treble boost goes a long way.



Conclusion
Le01 is a pair of pretty easy going IEM. For its price (roughly US$40~$50), I think it performs quite well sonically. Personally, I’ll like to see a longer Y-cord on it instead of the J-cord. A pouch or case of some kind is welcomed too. If isolation isn’t top of the list of consideration, I think Le01 is a really good choice for casual listener, especially if you are a basshead.

You can read the quick sum up here.
post #2 of 10
The box reminds me, the one from S-Jays. The manual is also very similiar

Based on your brief description, I'm under the impression, that they actually suck, but it's not quite the thing to criticise them from the beginning. I guess the target for these headphones, are people who care more of the look, than sound.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolperl View Post
The box reminds me, the one from S-Jays. The manual is also very similiar

Based on your brief description, I'm under the impression, that they actually suck, but it's not quite the thing to criticise them from the beginning. I guess the target for these headphones, are people who care more of the look, than sound.
Le01 released with in less than a month after s-JAYS' release, I don't think LEAR actually thought of copying any thing from JAYS (plus JAYS has almost no present in the Chinese market at all, LEAR would probably better off with another brand if they want to copy packaging).

Also, Le01 is perhaps one of the best sounding sub$50 IEM I have ever experienced with (better than PL-30 IMO, for the least). Not all people who come here have a budget over $50, we all have to settle with what we can afford.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
Le01 released with in less than a month after s-JAYS' release, I don't think LEAR actually thought of copying any thing from JAYS (plus JAYS has almost no present in the Chinese market at all, LEAR would probably better off with another brand if they want to copy packaging).

Also, Le01 is perhaps one of the best sounding sub$50 IEM I have ever experienced with (better than PL-30 IMO, for the least). Not all people who come here have a budget over $50, we all have to settle with what we can afford.
Hi,

Our packing have looked like s-JAYS since August 2006 . This is how our packing looks anyway.
s-JAYS SIREN Armature Earphones Review « TECHMOAN: Gadgets, Tech and General Moaning

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
^ Well, looks alike or not, I'll leave that for those of you who read this to be your own judge.

While we at it, Peter, I really recommend JAYS put at least one official distributor into China market (if already done so, you should really make them do promotion). I often saw threads over at erji.net (one of China largest headphone forum) asking question about JAYS' products while almost no one know the answer. All they know are UE, Ety and Westone!
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
^ Well, looks alike or not, I'll leave that for those of you who read this to be your own judge.

While we at it, Peter, I really recommend JAYS put at least one official distributor into China market (if already done so, you should really make them do promotion). I often saw threads over at erji.net (one of China largest headphone forum) asking question about JAYS' products while almost no one know the answer. All they know are UE, Ety and Westone!
Just to clarify, I'm not complaining either. Agree with you on China. We are doing all we can do grow on all markets we believe in. China is a huge market and we will be there also. But we can't enter all markets at once. That would kill me

Cheers!
post #7 of 10
aha, that would be true true. Also, peter. We need something in Canada! PLEEEASE! something on the Bestbuy, Futureshop something on those lines, costco mabe even considering it was at costco in the UK.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaoDi View Post
aha, that would be true true. Also, peter. We need something in Canada! PLEEEASE! something on the Bestbuy, Futureshop something on those lines, costco mabe even considering it was at costco in the UK.
Don't worry about Canada We are on the move..
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetCed View Post
Don't worry about Canada We are on the move..
aha, HURRAY! GO JAYS! this deserves a celebrating AHAHAHA
post #10 of 10
Just got these this morning and am impressed. Comparing them to my RE0's and PL30's initial impressions are they sound a little like a cross betweeen the two but not as good as either, more bass than RE0 but not as much as PL30, cleaner and brighter than the smooth and deep PL30 but also slightly grainier. So difficult to describe sound, so take my amatuers impressions with a pinch of salt but nice, really nice, especially for the price..oh and miles better than the Shure se210 and also quite a lot better than metrofi 220 to my ears.


later edit : Still love these, lovely airiness and clarity but prefer the PL30's overall by a fair margin, PL30's seem to have a much more natural sound. Utterly different beasts though, so hard to compare.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: