Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Woo Audio 2 - Page 66

post #976 of 1189

Noted with thanks, Billerb1:L3000:

post #977 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by billerb1 View Post
 

D, what cans are you using?

I really like the RFT EZ80's for what I listen for thru Beyerdynamic re-cabled T1's.

But they tend a little toward the forward, bright side.  You might see if you can find

any Great Britain made Brimar EZ80's.  More instrument timbre to me and a bit darker than

the RFT's but without losing detail.  Hard to  find but a great tube for me.

I haven't run the 7236's in mine...always the 5998's.  One of the 6AS7A's will take the edge off

the treble for you I would think...but at the price of maybe getting some of that muffled sound back.

Good luck.

I'm using HD800. Anybody else?

post #978 of 1189
I use HD-800s. I found a couple solutions to the 7-10 KHz spike: Philips Miniwatt EZ81s definitely help with sibilance, but retain extended highs; the second isn't a tube, but an IC: the Silnote Morpheus Reference II. The EZ81s sell for $50 each at Upscale Audio, the ICs for $170 on Audiogon. The Morpheus cables are well balanced and have a truly gorgeous midrange, as well as extended highs. You'll get all of the detail, but none of the treble harshness.
post #979 of 1189
Forgot to say that Tung Sol 7236s also help a bit.
post #980 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post

I use HD-800s. I found a couple solutions to the 7-10 KHz spike: Philips Miniwatt EZ81s definitely help with sibilance, but retain extended highs; the second isn't a tube, but an IC: the Silnote Morpheus Reference II. The EZ81s sell for $50 each at Upscale Audio, the ICs for $170 on Audiogon. The Morpheus cables are well balanced and have a truly gorgeous midrange, as well as extended highs. You'll get all of the detail, but none of the treble harshness.

+1 on the Morpheus Reference II.  I got one on Chesterfield's recommendation and wouldn't be without it now.  Great upgrade to my ears and did help with the sibilance with my T1's.

post #981 of 1189

I've listed 4 NOS pairs of great and very hard-to-find EZ80 and EZ81 rectifiers for the WA2 on the For Sale Forum if anyone's looking. All low hours and perfect working order. They're all listed in the Philips Miniwatt Sittard post.

(Philips Miniwatt Sittard, Brimar and Valvo)


Edited by billerb1 - 5/29/14 at 1:05pm
post #982 of 1189

What is the consensus on the best rectifier tubes for this amp?

post #983 of 1189

Thinking about getting the Philips Miniwatt 6CA4/EZ81.  Good?

post #984 of 1189
I hooked the Wa2 to my emotiva 6s and it added way too much bass :/ even after turning the bass down -4db
post #985 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
 

Thinking about getting the Philips Miniwatt 6CA4/EZ81.  Good?


I use the Brimar EZ80 (one of the best); have some Valvo and the Brimar are way above in performance.

post #986 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4music View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
 

Thinking about getting the Philips Miniwatt 6CA4/EZ81.  Good?


I use the Brimar EZ80 (one of the best); have some Valvo and the Brimar are way above in performance.


Thanks. Do you happen to know a reliable source for the Brimars?
post #987 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post


Thanks. Do you happen to know a reliable source for the Brimars?


Sorry, I don't at the moment.  Sometimes they're labeled as GE, you'll just need to do your homework.  I purchased two NOS pairs from http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/ you can check with them etc.

post #988 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4music View Post
 


Sorry, I don't at the moment.  Sometimes they're labeled as GE, you'll just need to do your homework.  I purchased two NOS pairs from http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/ you can check with them etc.


Thanks.  I just received some from a forum member.  Great tubes no doubt!

post #989 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Thinking about getting the Philips Miniwatt 6CA4/EZ81.  Good?

I've tried a number of well regarded rectifiers on the WA2. The Philips Miniwatt EZ81s are my favorites by a pretty wide margin.
post #990 of 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post


I've tried a number of well regarded rectifiers on the WA2. The Philips Miniwatt EZ81s are my favorites by a pretty wide margin.


Cool!  Have you tried the Brimar EZ80 and which Rects. with tube combo have tried?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2