Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Woo Audio 2 - Page 53

post #781 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

tung sol 7236 are near impossible to find.

 

check vacuumtubes.net i think they sell them and at decent price.

 

the best source right now is woo audio. i kinda wanna grab another pair, they're really hard to come by. 

Jack sells them too. That's where I got my first pair. (Hopefully he still has them in stock).

post #782 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

tung sol 7236 are near impossible to find.

 

check vacuumtubes.net i think they sell them and at decent price.

 

the best source right now is woo audio. i kinda wanna grab another pair, they're really hard to come by. 

there are 7236's on vacumtubes.net, they are 36 euro, but i don't know if they are tung sol. I emailed them so i should get a reply on monday

post #783 of 980

i think they have both tung sol and sylvania

post #784 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

i think they have both tung sol and sylvania

Thanks DG, with hd800, how do they compare with 2399, 5998, and Oh! GEC 6as7G?

post #785 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4music View Post

Thanks DG, with hd800, how do they compare with 2399, 5998, and Oh! GEC 6as7G?

 

2399 and 5998 are the same tube.

 

the sylvania 7236 is more dynamic and faster sounding than 5998. its a little more midcentric with not as wide of a soundstage, bass is tighter but not as deep, but pretty close. not warm, not bright either. 

 

the tung sol is the same as sylvania, but the highs are much more rolled off, its a very lush tubey sounding top end, very forgiving. both of these tubes are pretty good.

 

the 5998 is basically a little leaner, its neutral, but with tube euphonic warmth and a clean full bass with great extension and texture, very well balanced tube. like some guy described in his tube thread, this pretty much sums it up "Magical combination of control, harmonic richness and transparency".

 

the GEC 6AS7G  is the top tube. a little less bass than 5998, but very textured, clean, tight, with decent quantity, the tube has the most treble extension and is very airy, with an analytical nature in terms of detail, very detailed tube, fast yet smooth, very transparent, holographic imaging, and it has the best tonality of all these tubes. beautiful tube sound, its bright yet rich in the mids without sounding colored. its by far the best tube, great synergy with the HD 800s. its better than 5998 and 7236, more transparent, more detail, cleaner sounding, great tube and definitely worth the money. theres 2 versions, straight and curved. similar, except the curved bass has slightly smoother treble and slightly darker mids. 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/9/13 at 11:16pm
post #786 of 980

Does anyone have specs for the pre outs of the WA2, please? I'm looking for the impedance and max output in voltage.

 

Also, is it safe for the tubes and amp to run it as a preamp without headphones connected?

post #787 of 980
Numbers no idea, but a good question. Pre amp without headphones is okay as long as it has a load, right
post #788 of 980

The numbers are in, and to quote Jack:

 

"The output impedance is  about 100 ohms and it has a 2 volts output on pre out."

post #789 of 980

Trying a little bit of preamping and system positioning, won't be so messy in the end, haha.

 

post #790 of 980

how do u like WA2 as pre?

post #791 of 980

I tried WA2 as a pre-amp with kef speakers. I didn't like it that much but the other amp was an integrated amp and not a power amp. I wonder if this makes a difference?

post #792 of 980

Toob Noob.

 

This is an amazing and long lived thread. In my world, best practices last about a year. So, just checking the current thinking on tubes for WA2. 

 

A Headphoneus Supremus with great instincts (and a taste for particle physics) suggested the following:

 

Power Tubes: GEC 6AS7G or Tung Sol 5998
Driver Tubes: Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy or Amperex orange globe A-frame
Rectifier: RFT EZ80

 

Headphones: HD800 and Beyer T1

Source: Mac + Ayre QB9 DAC (in line for the DSD upgrade)

 

Personal issues: Aside from a little technology OCD, I'm coming from a slightly dark "neutral" stance...but I'm also good with engagement factor. Prefer bass that is well controlled but also have enough sense of humor to enjoy fun factor. Life is short.

 

Here's the question:

 

1. Optimize for T1: which choices?

2. Optimize for HD800: same question

3. Optimize for tight bass, holographic imaging, and self induced illusions about neutral + OMG fun can coexist. 

 

No pressure, all you have to do is synthesize four years of subjective impressions :-)

post #793 of 980

Oh yeah, music: percussive jazz and avante garde modern. alternative rock, seductive crossover like Allison Krauss, Lumineers, The Civil Wars

Big classical and heavy metal not so much BUT belongs to the Eric Clapton is God generation. Not stuck there though.

post #794 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfski View Post
 

Toob Noob.

 

This is an amazing and long lived thread. In my world, best practices last about a year. So, just checking the current thinking on tubes for WA2. 

 

A Headphoneus Supremus with great instincts (and a taste for particle physics) suggested the following:

 

Power Tubes: GEC 6AS7G or Tung Sol 5998
Driver Tubes: Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy or Amperex orange globe A-frame
Rectifier: RFT EZ80

 

Headphones: HD800 and Beyer T1

Source: Mac + Ayre QB9 DAC (in line for the DSD upgrade)

 

Personal issues: Aside from a little technology OCD, I'm coming from a slightly dark "neutral" stance...but I'm also good with engagement factor. Prefer bass that is well controlled but also have enough sense of humor to enjoy fun factor. Life is short.

 

Here's the question:

 

1. Optimize for T1: which choices?

2. Optimize for HD800: same question

3. Optimize for tight bass, holographic imaging, and self induced illusions about neutral + OMG fun can coexist. 

 

No pressure, all you have to do is synthesize four years of subjective impressions :-)

 

Dubstep Girl written all over it! 

;)

post #795 of 980

Non denial denial. I remain profoundly grateful for informed insights. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2