Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Woo Audio 2 - Page 11

post #151 of 980
I think you're going to be happy with the Bugle Boys. I just got a pair and they are fantastic.
post #152 of 980
People may also want to try the SQ version of the Philips 6922 - got a pair for my WA2 a couple of weeks back and I am liking them a lot - leagues above the normal Philips 6922s that ship with the amp. They do a 7308 version too, but those are more expensive.

Anyone tried 6922s or 7308s from Telefunken or Siemens in the WA2? I hear good things about them in general, but they tend to go for a lot of money even used so it'd be nice to have a first hand opinion from a WA2 owner before buying.
post #153 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvvt View Post
I think you're going to be happy with the Bugle Boys. I just got a pair and they are fantastic.
Ok, I received my 6dj8 (2 smalll and 2 large "o getter", white printing) and tried these last night. And indeed, it flats down the bump I had and turn the sound into something really more enjoyable. I also noticed it almost eliminates the noise I had on some records. Funny comparison but it really makes the same effect as did the dolby on our good old tapes
But I must say that swithing to the buggle boy didn't make a HUGE difference. Nothing striking here. I really had to pay attention to notice these differences. Changing the power tubes may make a more obvious improvement. But for now i must say I'm really happy with my rig, especially since I put my K701 on an intensive break-in. It now has bass !
Listening to "one dove" from Antony and the Johnson was something I never had experienced before. A complete immersion into realistic sound. But unfortunately, I don't find my combo forgiving... quite the opposite actually, and it's really not all my records which sounds that good.
post #154 of 980
I ordered a silver WA2 this week. Jack said four weeks for delivery, I'm thinking five. In the mean time I still have my 3+.
post #155 of 980
A chance you have the 3+... otherwise, the wait would have been long !
Did you order the standard or the maxxed version ?
post #156 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
A chance you have the 3+... otherwise, the wait would have been long !
Did you order the standard or the maxxed version ?
Standard...........it's the economy you know.
post #157 of 980
I had a quick question regarding the power tubes in the WA2 - do these need to have balanced triodes? Or more to the point, would two power tubes which are matched but may have unbalanced triode sections cause hum?

The reason I ask is that I previously bought a pair of Tung Sol 5998's which caused loud hum in both channels. I thought the tubes were defective but the seller insisted they were NOS and tested perfectly on their tester (very good feedback, reputable seller).

I recently bought a pair of NOS, matched 6N13S tubes and these too cause a major hum in both channels. There are no sparks or other issue; tubes look perfect; glow normally; and these too were said to test 100% on the seller's Hickok tester.

What they said was that if the triode sections of these power tubes (6080, 6N13S, 6AS7G etc.) are not matched/balanced it could cause this problem?
post #158 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenithon View Post
I had a quick question regarding the power tubes in the WA2 - do these need to have balanced triodes? Or more to the point, would two power tubes which are matched but may have unbalanced triode sections cause hum?
My gut feeling (nontechnical) is that I don't think that mismatched tubes would cause loud hum. The reason I say this is that one of my nice Tung Sol's died so I am temporarily using two very cheap RCA tubes that are entirely unmatched (I bought the pair off e-bay for $5, completely untested). They do not hum at all.
post #159 of 980
How does this do with low impedance cans? Mainly, the W5000? I am having the hardest time deciding between this and the Woo 6 SE.
post #160 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
How does this do with low impedance cans? Mainly, the W5000? I am having the hardest time deciding between this and the Woo 6 SE.
sixerfan - Haven't tried with W5000 but the WA2 controls the Denon cans VERY well. I've tried LA7000, LA2000 and the stock Denon cans, all to satisfaction. It might seem counterintuitive that a tube amp - one without transformers, no less - can handle such low-impedance phones, but that's what it does for a fact.
post #161 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
How does this do with low impedance cans? Mainly, the W5000? I am having the hardest time deciding between this and the Woo 6 SE.
The W5000's impedance is 40 ohms, which is not as low as some. My understanding is that the WA2's output impedance is approximately 60 ohms, so I think it should be fine. People have reported excellent results with the WA2 and GS1000s, which is only 32 ohms.

I vote for the WA2 over the WA6E, but I own a WA2 so take it with a grain of salt...
post #162 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmusic View Post
sixerfan - Haven't tried with W5000 but the WA2 controls the Denon cans VERY well. I've tried LA7000, LA2000 and the stock Denon cans, all to satisfaction. It might seem counterintuitive that a tube amp - one without transformers, no less - can handle such low-impedance phones, but that's what it does for a fact.
Great, because Jack has suggested the 2 for my preferences but I have read so many good things about both. It's very hard to decide.
post #163 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
Great, because Jack has suggested the 2 for my preferences but I have read so many good things about both. It's very hard to decide.
I'm in the EXACT same boat as you.
post #164 of 980
I'm also emailed Jack asking if he can make a WA2 that's in glossy piano black.
post #165 of 980
You guys should be thinking about a WA22 now. Balanced, yum.

I needed speaker out as well (for Stax transformer and K1000), so it was between a Beta 22 or a Eddie Current ZDT. Tubes won...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Woo Audio 2