- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/23/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 VS. Sennheiser HD 650 VS. AKG K701 Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!! Last post on 7/1/12 at 8:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for $200-300 Indie Headphones Last post on 10/3/11 at 3:45am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
AKG 702 sound - Page 6post #76 of 807/7/09 at 2:07am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8012/20/10 at 6:46pm
I have had my set of AKG 702's for about 3 weeks now with about 6-7 hours on them.
I am driving them with the output of a AVA Insight + Preamp which in turn in being sourced by ESS Sabre DACS in an Oppo BD83SE CD/DVD/BluRay player. Its the version that has the upgraded analog section.
Fist impressions are wonderful. Tonality, Timbre, Accuracy, Fast, Soundstage to die for....just absolutely marvelous.
The Preamp driving these have no problem at all, the bass is wonderful, accurate and NOT BOOMY at all. Bass violins sound like Bass violins, strings are so sweet.
Fanfare for Modern Man, the Tympani sound like Tympani!! Its uncanny realistic.
Just got done with a 2 hr listening session with the 702s on the Insight+ pre-amp, tried them on an Onkyo SR 805 AVR and a PC with a soundcard. The soundcard had a difficult driving them loud the AVR was VERY loud if needed, the Insight + will BLOW this out if not careful....ablsoutley STUNNING performance...the sound is so OMG nice, accurate, tight etc...u can crawl around in the music and hear the room sounds, recordings are easily picked apart good and bad.
Such detail and the tonality of instruments and voices. Norah Jones, Ray Charles, Nils Lofgren, Jennifer Warrens, The Blue Man Group....its really a wonderful marraige between thes cans and the preamp in the Insight +. Even Joe Satriani's Rubina is freaking awesome.
If these get any better over time, this will be the icing on the cake..my poor old audio technica ath50's are now my pc game headset!! Really nice but BOOMY as all get out...
All the best
post #78 of 8012/22/10 at 11:51pmThread Starterpost #79 of 8012/23/10 at 2:57ampost #80 of 803/12/11 at 11:33am
I think that if people say the AKG 702s sound "cold" or "boring/analytical" they haven't paired it with the right amp and they haven't put enough hours of burn in on those phones. Yes they are detailed. Yes they are precise. But cold? It doesn't sound cold to me, I'm using a Burson HA-160D to power mine and they sound wonderful together! An aftermarket cable usually does nice things to the sound as well because the stock cable is definitely NOT a high fidelity cable. I would try a new cable before selling the 702s. give em a chance! they need time, a proper amp, and ideally a new OCC copper or silver cable. The 702s need like 250 hours to burn in. They will smooth out, and start to sound really good, but again, they need a powerful amp, and time.
- AKG 702 sound
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › FS Audeze LCD-3 10 seconds ago
- › SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP 47 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 1 minute ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio Engine A5+ 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 3 minutes ago
- › Can Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 be used as a sound card? 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude