- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/23/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open-back phones for music creation at home Last post on 9/11/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 VS. Sennheiser HD 650 VS. AKG K701 Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Jomo4 The full and long review can be found here: LINK Website: jomoaudio.com Product page: Link Specifications: o Quad Balanced Armature Drivers: 1 x...
-Introduction- The last encounter I had with Advanced Sound was a decent while ago, right around the release of their first IEM, the M4. That was their freshmen release, and...
All instruments come to live with pm1, crystal clear and smooth at the same time. Pm1 made my Sennheiser hd650 and Grado reference 1 sound harsh and incomplete. I had some time to listen to hd800...
The Fiil Diva headphone is probably one of the most intuitive headphones south of $200. They have features that make them almost 3-4 headphones in one, currently they can be had for about $129 on...
Recently My Noble 5 developed a rattle on the left side, so I sent them back to Noble, in return they upgraded me to the Dulce Bass, I've had these for 3 days now and let me tell you what a step up...
AKG 702 sound - Page 6post #76 of 807/7/09 at 2:07am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8012/20/10 at 6:46pm
I have had my set of AKG 702's for about 3 weeks now with about 6-7 hours on them.
I am driving them with the output of a AVA Insight + Preamp which in turn in being sourced by ESS Sabre DACS in an Oppo BD83SE CD/DVD/BluRay player. Its the version that has the upgraded analog section.
Fist impressions are wonderful. Tonality, Timbre, Accuracy, Fast, Soundstage to die for....just absolutely marvelous.
The Preamp driving these have no problem at all, the bass is wonderful, accurate and NOT BOOMY at all. Bass violins sound like Bass violins, strings are so sweet.
Fanfare for Modern Man, the Tympani sound like Tympani!! Its uncanny realistic.
Just got done with a 2 hr listening session with the 702s on the Insight+ pre-amp, tried them on an Onkyo SR 805 AVR and a PC with a soundcard. The soundcard had a difficult driving them loud the AVR was VERY loud if needed, the Insight + will BLOW this out if not careful....ablsoutley STUNNING performance...the sound is so OMG nice, accurate, tight etc...u can crawl around in the music and hear the room sounds, recordings are easily picked apart good and bad.
Such detail and the tonality of instruments and voices. Norah Jones, Ray Charles, Nils Lofgren, Jennifer Warrens, The Blue Man Group....its really a wonderful marraige between thes cans and the preamp in the Insight +. Even Joe Satriani's Rubina is freaking awesome.
If these get any better over time, this will be the icing on the cake..my poor old audio technica ath50's are now my pc game headset!! Really nice but BOOMY as all get out...
All the best
post #78 of 8012/22/10 at 11:51pmThread Starterpost #79 of 8012/23/10 at 2:57ampost #80 of 803/12/11 at 11:33am
I think that if people say the AKG 702s sound "cold" or "boring/analytical" they haven't paired it with the right amp and they haven't put enough hours of burn in on those phones. Yes they are detailed. Yes they are precise. But cold? It doesn't sound cold to me, I'm using a Burson HA-160D to power mine and they sound wonderful together! An aftermarket cable usually does nice things to the sound as well because the stock cable is definitely NOT a high fidelity cable. I would try a new cable before selling the 702s. give em a chance! they need time, a proper amp, and ideally a new OCC copper or silver cable. The 702s need like 250 hours to burn in. They will smooth out, and start to sound really good, but again, they need a powerful amp, and time.
- AKG 702 sound
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 30 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Onkyo E700M - FOTM for September 2016 3 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for a Omni w/ Darker Wood 3 minutes ago
- › Jomo Audio Jomo4 by Zelda
- › Advanced Sound by Cinder
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sam 88
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...