- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/23/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open-back phones for music creation at home Last post on 9/11/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 VS. Sennheiser HD 650 VS. AKG K701 Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
AKG 702 sound - Page 6post #76 of 807/7/09 at 2:07am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8012/20/10 at 6:46pm
I have had my set of AKG 702's for about 3 weeks now with about 6-7 hours on them.
I am driving them with the output of a AVA Insight + Preamp which in turn in being sourced by ESS Sabre DACS in an Oppo BD83SE CD/DVD/BluRay player. Its the version that has the upgraded analog section.
Fist impressions are wonderful. Tonality, Timbre, Accuracy, Fast, Soundstage to die for....just absolutely marvelous.
The Preamp driving these have no problem at all, the bass is wonderful, accurate and NOT BOOMY at all. Bass violins sound like Bass violins, strings are so sweet.
Fanfare for Modern Man, the Tympani sound like Tympani!! Its uncanny realistic.
Just got done with a 2 hr listening session with the 702s on the Insight+ pre-amp, tried them on an Onkyo SR 805 AVR and a PC with a soundcard. The soundcard had a difficult driving them loud the AVR was VERY loud if needed, the Insight + will BLOW this out if not careful....ablsoutley STUNNING performance...the sound is so OMG nice, accurate, tight etc...u can crawl around in the music and hear the room sounds, recordings are easily picked apart good and bad.
Such detail and the tonality of instruments and voices. Norah Jones, Ray Charles, Nils Lofgren, Jennifer Warrens, The Blue Man Group....its really a wonderful marraige between thes cans and the preamp in the Insight +. Even Joe Satriani's Rubina is freaking awesome.
If these get any better over time, this will be the icing on the cake..my poor old audio technica ath50's are now my pc game headset!! Really nice but BOOMY as all get out...
All the best
post #78 of 8012/22/10 at 11:51pmThread Starterpost #79 of 8012/23/10 at 2:57ampost #80 of 803/12/11 at 11:33am
I think that if people say the AKG 702s sound "cold" or "boring/analytical" they haven't paired it with the right amp and they haven't put enough hours of burn in on those phones. Yes they are detailed. Yes they are precise. But cold? It doesn't sound cold to me, I'm using a Burson HA-160D to power mine and they sound wonderful together! An aftermarket cable usually does nice things to the sound as well because the stock cable is definitely NOT a high fidelity cable. I would try a new cable before selling the 702s. give em a chance! they need time, a proper amp, and ideally a new OCC copper or silver cable. The 702s need like 250 hours to burn in. They will smooth out, and start to sound really good, but again, they need a powerful amp, and time.
- AKG 702 sound
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated 15 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 30 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 34 seconds ago
- › Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon 51 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear