- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/23/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/23/10
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open-back phones for music creation at home Last post on 9/11/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 VS. Sennheiser HD 650 VS. AKG K701 Last post on 8/12/11 at 10:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
First things first: I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return. It really is great that this community allows this...
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
AKG 702 sound - Page 6post #76 of 807/7/09 at 2:07am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8012/20/10 at 6:46pm
I have had my set of AKG 702's for about 3 weeks now with about 6-7 hours on them.
I am driving them with the output of a AVA Insight + Preamp which in turn in being sourced by ESS Sabre DACS in an Oppo BD83SE CD/DVD/BluRay player. Its the version that has the upgraded analog section.
Fist impressions are wonderful. Tonality, Timbre, Accuracy, Fast, Soundstage to die for....just absolutely marvelous.
The Preamp driving these have no problem at all, the bass is wonderful, accurate and NOT BOOMY at all. Bass violins sound like Bass violins, strings are so sweet.
Fanfare for Modern Man, the Tympani sound like Tympani!! Its uncanny realistic.
Just got done with a 2 hr listening session with the 702s on the Insight+ pre-amp, tried them on an Onkyo SR 805 AVR and a PC with a soundcard. The soundcard had a difficult driving them loud the AVR was VERY loud if needed, the Insight + will BLOW this out if not careful....ablsoutley STUNNING performance...the sound is so OMG nice, accurate, tight etc...u can crawl around in the music and hear the room sounds, recordings are easily picked apart good and bad.
Such detail and the tonality of instruments and voices. Norah Jones, Ray Charles, Nils Lofgren, Jennifer Warrens, The Blue Man Group....its really a wonderful marraige between thes cans and the preamp in the Insight +. Even Joe Satriani's Rubina is freaking awesome.
If these get any better over time, this will be the icing on the cake..my poor old audio technica ath50's are now my pc game headset!! Really nice but BOOMY as all get out...
All the best
post #78 of 8012/22/10 at 11:51pmThread Starterpost #79 of 8012/23/10 at 2:57ampost #80 of 803/12/11 at 11:33am
I think that if people say the AKG 702s sound "cold" or "boring/analytical" they haven't paired it with the right amp and they haven't put enough hours of burn in on those phones. Yes they are detailed. Yes they are precise. But cold? It doesn't sound cold to me, I'm using a Burson HA-160D to power mine and they sound wonderful together! An aftermarket cable usually does nice things to the sound as well because the stock cable is definitely NOT a high fidelity cable. I would try a new cable before selling the 702s. give em a chance! they need time, a proper amp, and ideally a new OCC copper or silver cable. The 702s need like 250 hours to burn in. They will smooth out, and start to sound really good, but again, they need a powerful amp, and time.
- AKG 702 sound
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Welcome one and all! Please introduce yourselves! 50 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 58 seconds ago
- › Ditch the Essence STX and get a Xonar DG? 59 seconds ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Fischer Audio Dubliz 5 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 5 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3