Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › How would YOU amp the HD800?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How would YOU amp the HD800? - Page 7

post #91 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmusic View Post
What kind of tubes? SET? Was it designed for high impedance headphones? Just general facts... not familiar with the amp at all...
This amp is one of the old P2P wired Singlepower Supras with the handbuilt stainless steel chassis from 2003. The amp is a single ended OTL design (Output Transformerless) with a heavily filtered and high energy storage (big blue caps) power supply. The Supras, old or new, come stock with a tube compliment of three 6SN7GTs running at 300 volts. Mine was modified to use the much higher output 6BL7GT/ 6BX7GT as the output tubes. In addition, the power supply voltage to the 6BL7 output tubes was increased to approximately 400 volts and the tubes were biased to around 55ma to get the most power out of the 6BL7 .... which is about 1.8 watts or 1800ma @ 300 ohms. The amp can still put out a good 0.5 watt or so into a 32 ohm impedance.

The amp was tuned with Senn 600s so the Senn synergy is undeniable; although this amp is awesome with whatever I headphone I use .... especially my woodied Alessandros. This amp wil drive the ultra low sensitivity/ 150 ohm Yamaha YH-1 orthodynamics to ear bleeding levels. I have been using either a 6GU7 + adapter or a 6F8G (6SN7GT sub with an exposed anode in the pic) for gain along with whatever pair of matched 6BX7G output tubes I come across. This Supra has the most explosive dynamics you can imagine and as a routine Grados user ...trust me when I say there is no Senn veil whatsoever.

I actually have a second almost identical Supra that uses the same gain tube but with the even more powerful 6AS7G/ 6080 output tube .... which are higher current lower voltage tubes (150 volts) that drive low impedance Grados mercilessly.

post #92 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 View Post
For $1400..u can get laid.
lol
post #93 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmusic View Post
What kind of tubes? SET? Was it designed for high impedance headphones? Just general facts... not familiar with the amp at all...
It is one of the amps from Cavalli Audio - kinda a SOHA II on massive steroids.
post #94 of 195
Wow to all these amps being said If and "If" i do get my hands on the HD800, ill just run it from my VHP-2/VAC-1 combo
post #95 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Knight View Post
It costs 5 bucks to balance them.
sure you can balance them yourself by re-terminating the stock cable, but as has been said; that kind-of ruins the resale or return value. until then i'd be much happier to re-cable than re-terminate them. and you wouldnt catch me dead re-terminating $1400USD cans with a cheap-ass crappy $5 connector; but thats just me; that act in itself is enough to make you have to buy a new cable if you intend to re-sell them. crap connector on those cans is IMO stoopid and I certainly wouldnt buy them. I dont even know if you could get a decent neutrik 4 pin XLR for that money. its not nessecary to spend $$$ on a connector, but surely you would do them justice and spend $20 at least
post #96 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmusic View Post
The valvecode intrigues me b/c it allows you to either go OTL or transformer output... that's like getting 2 amps in 1 chassis. Would love to hear the HD800 with it!
OH YEAH!!!! its gonna be well wicked and its not far off now either
post #97 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
sure you can balance them yourself by re-terminating the stock cable, but as has been said; that kind-of ruins the resale or return value. until then i'd be much happier to re-cable than re-terminate them. and you wouldnt catch me dead re-terminating $1400USD cans with a cheap-ass crappy $5 connector; but thats just me; that act in itself is enough to make you have to buy a new cable if you intend to re-sell them. crap connector on those cans is IMO stoopid and I certainly wouldnt buy them. I dont even know if you could get a decent neutrik 4 pin XLR for that money. its not nessecary to spend $$$ on a connector, but surely you would do them justice and spend $20 at least
Hey the Neutrik 4pin is 5$ Maybe it's crappy...
I'm pretty sure there'll be a replacement cable for the HD800.
post #98 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Knight View Post
Hey the Neutrik 4pin is 5$ Maybe it's crappy...
I'm pretty sure there'll be a replacement cable for the HD800.
i'm not denying there will be a replacement cable, but you can bet your ass it wont be cheap. the neutrik isnt bad; I just wouldnt use it on a $1400 pair of cans that all.

SACD LOVER: those SP amps are wicked; they look like weather control devices
post #99 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
i'm not denying there will be a replacement cable, but you can bet your ass it wont be cheap. the neutrik isnt bad; I just wouldnt use it on a $1400 pair of cans that all.
Why not?
post #100 of 195
Me I would use my Sp Dragon
post #101 of 195
Somehow this thread has morphed into: "Let me show off my awesome amp!" thread. Not that I'm complaining.
post #102 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
I would not be surprised!
With all the time, money, love, ... invested in this unit. But fear nothing, as I have no intention of abandoning it.
post #103 of 195
Thread Starter 
Okay. Bit the bullet and pre-ordered HD800 with TTVJ. Will get to test out some of these speculations for real, in about 1-2 months...
post #104 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmusic View Post
Okay. Bit the bullet and pre-ordered HD800 with TTVJ. Will get to test out some of these speculations for real, in about 1-2 months...
Yup, probably good for you. Ordered them myself earler today. I knew I would give in sooner or later... I mean, I need piece in mind, and there is just so much one can take
post #105 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Why not?
well lets put it this way; would you use a cheap set of entry level tyres on your ferrari?? sure they stay inflated, they allow you to drive your car in reasonable comfort; but they dont fit the rest of the cars looks or performance. again this is just my opinion; you of course are welcome to do whatever you wish with your senns, but I just dont think a $5 connector on a pair of cans that cost as much as my first car did, is appropriate thats all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › How would YOU amp the HD800?