Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Very Compact Hybrid Amp - Page 103

post #1531 of 2213
thats what Jeff was saying when I told him that I may have a bad cap, he was pretty surprised. Apparently they have good QC (quality control) and wanted to examine it. If you get store credit I would recommend the mundorfs s/o they sound fantastic on mine.
post #1532 of 2213
I just put in wima mkps and my first impression is that they sound very nice. Perhaps a bit more extended than the sonicaps.

Do the Mundorfs fit in the small bom case?
post #1533 of 2213
I'd give 'em the benefit of the doubt - I just pulled on twenty, firmly, and they were all fine...
post #1534 of 2213
The Mundorfs wont fit well, its just about the size of a 12au7 tube.
post #1535 of 2213
I really like the Wimas - especially for the price . Still have them in my proto build...
post #1536 of 2213
I tried some Janzten audio crossover caps in mine and really liked it...cheap too..
post #1537 of 2213
Miles, Round about Midnight -> Opus DAC -> CTH with Amperex 6dj8 -> RS-1

is sounding really amazing

This is definitely one my favorite amps of everything I've owned, built, and heard.
post #1538 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds View Post
This is definitely one my favorite amps of everything I've owned, built, and heard.
It is a pint-sized powerhouse, especially with the RS-1's (and 2's - maybe all Grados!)

I have been listening with HD600s at work for the last few weeks... and I feel it accentuates the Senn's dark side - but this is not at all a bad thing for some types of music.

It may well be I now think the Rs-1's are my favorite dynamic...
post #1539 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrob View Post
It is a pint-sized powerhouse, especially with the RS-1's (and 2's - maybe all Grados!)

I have been listening with HD600s at work for the last few weeks... and I feel it accentuates the Senn's dark side - but this is not at all a bad thing for some types of music.

It may well be I now think the Rs-1's are my favorite dynamic...
Wait till you hear my HF-2. If you can't afford the RS-1, the HF-2 are a much better choice than the RS-2 or SR-325i, and probably equal the RS-1. But with a little different presentation - think intimate mids and strong bass of the RS-1 with flats, but with the soundstage and crisp treble of the RS-1 with bowls.
post #1540 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrob View Post

I have been listening with HD600s at work for the last few weeks... and I feel it accentuates the Senn's dark side - but this is not at all a bad thing for some types of music.
Have you tried the 6n6p yet with the senns, I feel it may perk them up. I have a spare if you'd like it.
post #1541 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
Wait till you hear my HF-2. If you can't afford the RS-1, the HF-2 are a much better choice than the RS-2 or SR-325i, and probably equal the RS-1. SNIP
Definitely looking forward to trying a pair...


Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Have you tried the 6n6p yet with the senns, I feel it may perk them up. I have a spare if you'd like it.
I have been stuck on a Raytheon 6GU7 and have been liking the combo with the Senns - I'll revisit the 6N6P though...
post #1542 of 2213

easy way to ground the pot and chasis

I've found an easy way to ground the pot and chasis of the CTH in the small bom case.

What you need is a 1/8" 4-40 screw with nut (and preferably lock washer), and 2 ring terminals: one with a 1/4" hole, and one with a number 4 screw hole.

The 1/4" ring terminal goes between the pot and front panel as shown. Note that the 1/4" ring terminal needs to be screwed on to the shaft like a nut, because it is not quite large enough to just slide over.



You have a wire that goes from the pot ring terminal to the other end of the board. Here it is clamped into the other ring terminal along with a shorter wire that is soldered to the SG (signal ground) hole on the board.



This ring terminal is bolted to the chassis and you're done. This configuration still makes it very easy to open and close the case.

post #1543 of 2213
Nice work
post #1544 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds View Post
This is definitely one my favorite amps of everything I've owned, built, and heard.
Meant to say thanks for voicing that... It's nice to hear everyone's efforts to bring the amp to fruition are paying off

Having not built any "bigger"/more expensive designs, it's my fav so far too. For the more practical among us I think it could be the last one they need to build. But DIY is compelling and other Cavalli & Amb designs are in my future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds View Post
I've found an easy way to ground the pot and chasis of the CTH in the small bom case.
IIRC I just ran a "local" wire on the pot from its signal ground to under its ring mount. But that's not as idea a ground as the one you've wired.
BTW Bill & I may soon have something more exciting to replace your fuse holder with We'll see...
post #1545 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcubed View Post
BTW Bill & I may soon have something more exciting to replace your fuse holder with We'll see...
That tease should go in the Tweak thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › A Very Compact Hybrid Amp